It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary: Top 100 quotes out of Christian chatrooms/fora

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Has anybody else noticed that BOTH sides of the religious debate sometimes seem to view each other as a larger and more powerful oppressor?
That list of quotes, in conjunction with this thread, seem to illustrate that little oddity rather well.

Having spent a significant portion of my life as a christian conservative, and another portion as a liberal (and, as it happens, an athiest), I'd just like to state for the record that at no point did my fellows in either of those camps let me in on a conspiracy to destroy society. As far as I can tell, neither side, on the whole, is all that dangerous- except when they become scared of each other. Seriously, if either side would have a little faith in the decency of the other, things would get better fast.

Luckily, here on ATS, decency is insisted upon (just a reminder).

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Here is some of the debates Richard Dawkins and other Scientists who Happen to be Christian. It might tell you why he refuses to debate them anymore. He gets OWNT in every one of em'

cis.org.uk...

Evolution isn't and Science is not now nor will it ever be the monopoly that atheists so desperately try to hold on to. No more then intelligent design is about Religion or God it merely proves what it says.

One look at the history of Canines and every breed of dog came from the wolf. It didn't take millions of years for the huskie to survive in alaska. These adaptation have been found in there DNA and were already existing so they were not the result of some negative mutation just happening to be a benefit to survival of the fittest.

Evolution has its place but it will make home schooling a lot more attractive if they keep ID out of schools I can assure you that is how Christians will deal with it.

- Con

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
except when they become scared of each other. Seriously, if either side would have a little faith in the decency of the other, things would get better fast.

Luckily, here on ATS, decency is insisted upon (just a reminder).

I fear no one but I agree with your post however it is like I have said before,, what ever issue they think Christians have with them, their not believing in GOD has nothing to do with it.

I personally couldn't care less that they don't but it sure bothers them that I do.

- Con

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Great thread,
I can't believe that people actually believe this way! One post actually had someone telling us the earth is flat and the sun and stars revolve around it! OMG!

There is nothing wrong with being a Christian. In fact Christianity is a great thing for people. If you uphold the good tenants of the bible "love thy neighbor" "thou shalt not kill" you know that sort of thing, then it's a great thing. It's when people start taking snip its from bible verses and twisting them to fit their own ideology that it strays and becomes corrupt.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology
I personally couldn't care less that they don't but it sure bothers them that I do.

Isn't that sort of the problem though? You say that "they" are bothered by your belief.

But who are they?
People who don't believe in God, but who have great faith (yes I said faith) in the potential of science, technology, and human wisdom? I'm one of those people, and I have no problem with your belief in God. I used to believe in God, and my former pastor is still my best friend.

I don't think anybody is bothered by the fact that other people have beliefs. People are bothered by the fact, that they think other people are bothered by them.

If you think I've got a problem with you, that will incline you to have a problem with me, and that will make me have a problem with you.

But I don't have a problem with you, and you don't have a problem with me, and if we realize that, we can be friends.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
All credit to Conspiriology for showing that some atheists can be just as kooky as some fundamentalist christians .....

I guess the lesson for all of us is that there will always be a small minority in any group who hold and express extremists (and in our eyes, somewhat daft and illogical) views and opinions, and sometimes even act on them - to the detriment of all others - but which are not in any way whatsoever representative of the vast majority.

So, if we could just get rid of 1% of the Christians, 1% of the Muslims and 1% of the Atheists we'd all be able to live happily in peace together, respecting the right of all people to hold different beliefs, subject that they do not in any way impose such beliefs on others.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Essan]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
How will we be "getting rid" of those 1% (read, those millions upon millions of human beings)?

As an athiest, I don't necessarily have a moral objection to the idea, but the logistics of such an operation are STAGGERING.

(for the record, I do have a moral objection to "getting rid of" millions upon millions of people, I simply wanted to make the point that it isn't absurd for an athiest to have moral objections).

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForceMaster

Most afflictions like this are caused by sins committed while still inside the womb. If she can repent for what she does god will embrace her and make her as human as you or me but if she chooses not to she'll always be like this

This is what I mean. How in any reality is it possible to committ "sin" while in the womb?! So they are saying here that this all loving god afflicted this child because she did something IN THE WOMB! A perfect example of how indoctrination also comes with the mental back-up to actually create a sub-set of beliefs to counter anything that cannot be explained by their belief system. Committing sin in the womb and being punished before birth is a good example. It is sad to see how imprisioned people can become by their own thoughts.

I think that this is an isolated idiotic opinion. I have sat in various denom and non-denom churches and never heard anything like that taught.
I think there might have been something close to that under the OT Hebrew Law, that said that the sins of the father would be visited unto the (3rd)? generation. But I don't believe even that meant handicapping innocent children while in the womb or otherwise. I think it might have been more like a curse of poverty.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by sizzle]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I don't know, my kids kicked the heck out of me before they were born!!! guess maybe god missed that....

I still say that the path to salvation outlined in the Bible is a two way street.....it can lead to heaven, but it also shows the path to hell also....which way you chose to go on it depends on which way your heart decides to take you...
some of these guys are just going the wrong way!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

It wasn't intended as a serious suggestion
Just highlighting that most religious intolerance and extremism is fermented by a tiny percentage of the population.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
On that note I agree Essan. A very small (and surprisingly loud) minority really does ruin it for everyone. Culture warriors... yuck. I think its funny that people can be so uncivilized in their bids to control our civilization.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
All credit to Conspiriology for showing that some atheists can be just as kooky as some fundamentalist christians .....

Ha he/she had to go to another site to get those. Well there's plenty of post similar if not the same (example 3 + more) to the ones in the original post in ATS. I see it everyday.

How many of the examples conspiriology gave you see here in ATS?

[edit on 15-1-2008 by AncientVoid]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by ShiftTrio

you may say it doesn't apply to too many people...
but a lot of it does.

a good example is missouri (or any state in the bible belt)
there are plenty of people that would agree with quite a bit of the stuff over there
particularly the one about sending homosexuals to camps to force them to a heterosexual lifestyle.
or the one about not considering atheists as fully human beings

the scary thing isn't that these people are far off lunatics...
it's that some of them are far off lunatics that quite a few people would agree with

Hey now, not all of us Missourians are like that. I don't know anyone here like that. Well, actually when I think about it I do know a few.

It scares me to think people can be dare I say brainwashed to be like this. To believe like this?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Simon_Boudreaux

That is another prime example of fanatacism. I do not know of anyone at this moment, nor have I ever known anyone who felt this way. Me thinks that the majority of atheists dost protest too much.
Where are all these ogre Christians with these 200 pound bibles attacking ppl? Even before I converted to Christianity, I can't say that I ever had that happen to me, and I have always lived in the Bible belt.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by sizzle]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

1.If we did evolve from monkeys then how come babies arent born monkeys

4.how come we cant speak monkey

wow.

I don't think these people understand... anything lol

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Is a link there, you can see how people behave like monkey or should I say how people behave worst then any animal in this planet.

Kacou.

Mod edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

I didn't need to see that... Could have warned about that picture =.="

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
making fun of "those" christians is as ridiculous as those christians making fun of "those" atheists. this just leads to nothing. people need to stop that stereotype thinking and come together.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ilali

Well not really, because Atheists don't make their religion look stupid by making idiotic statements like those. Partly because they don't have a religion to make look stupid and partly because they haven't been brainwashed by such nonsense lol

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by malganis

it's not all christians that are making stupid claims about their religion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join