It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who has the best Special Forces ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Geeesh! Well wasn't he the one who made star wars and close encounters??? There ya go! BOO YA! Nuff said!

Mags

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
Geeesh! Well wasn't he the one who made star wars and close encounters??? There ya go! BOO YA! Nuff said!

Mags

Spielberg did Close Encounters...George Lucas did Star Wars

Still reckon a wave of rampant ETs would rock though..."Elliiiiiiiot...Beeeeeeeee Goooood"

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 06:51 AM
link   
nevermind..

[Edited on 4-6-2003 by $tranger]

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I personally think they are one and the same, it's a conspiracy..
Maybe they both hold the force? I'm serious alien! How else could they come up with all those special effects? OK well, i'm shutting up now, I've already said too much..
Mags

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 10:46 AM
link   
" Who has the best Special Forces ? "

I didn't see any honnest answers.

Australian SAS are the best of the best.

The others SF troops are all very good, but Aussie SAS are the firsts.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 10:51 AM
link   
As much as I hate to admite it, Delta Force is the most elite. I don't see any one touching them.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Do any of the US posters here remember a show maybe a yewar or two ago called "Combat Missions"? This show was a game show of sorts that took SF-types, split them up into squads and put them through missions that were either based on physical fitness or combat skills. The contestants ranged from members of SWAT to CIA operatives.

When there was one team left, they went to a "Last Man Standing" format and a SWAT member won (makes you think).

I think another contest like this but on a global scale would be pretty cool.

Here is the link for the site:www.usanetwork.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
As much as I hate to admite it, Delta Force is the most elite. I don't see any one touching them.

You hate to admit it ? Why ? You don't like the DF ??? What's wrong with them ?

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The best is good for this arena. When I was a Ranger, I thought I was with the best. As I went up in rank, I noticed the missions dictated the force.

Don't rank them, thank them!!

Well, as regard for missions here is a sample:

Recon: SAS, SBS, Force Recon, SF, Spetznaz, and SEALS on a theatre level (i.e., Army Group level)

Light infantry: Rangers, Recon battalions, (Quick strike, in and out, destroy the target with upmost prejudice), on some smaller targets the Seals. Corps or division level recon-rangers, seals teams, recon battalions.

Force multiplier: Special Forces-look what they did in Afghanistan and the northern alliance-(after turkey backed out). They train the troops and fight along side. Generally older than recon marines, rangers, etc. SAS and SBS do some of this but not as a primary mission.

counter terror/ hostage rescue: GSG9, CIGN-(yes the french and guess what there back up weapon is a colt 357 magnum, one told me that revolvers do not jam. I never forgot that). FBI HRT or hostage rescue team-studs of the swat arena. Delta and Seal Team 6 rank right up there.

The difference between recon battalions and force recon is the mission. As stated earlier, Force Recon is theatre level, Army, higher level very deep recons. The recon battalions are closer to the battle area and assigned to divisions, amphip groups.

Kudos to the poster who mentioned the swat/hostage rescue teams.. Right On

Where the us finally got it right is that they had a commander who understood the strengths and weaknesses of special ops troops. thus no scuds launched like the 1991 war-(schwatrzkopf did not like or use effectively the special ops troops).

All in all great topic- and Franks was sure happy to have the Polish spec ops, SAS from Australia, England, the SBS from both along with the us troops.

Unsung heroes, the best do not have to say-THEY PROVE IT

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Does anyone remember the Ranger night jump in Afghanistan, onto the airfield/terrorist training base?

Jeez, even though I am an old fart---I wanted back in and would go through RIP and the Ranger school all over again, including jump school to be with them!!!:roll

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Boy does this topic bring back memories...

Do not forget the ROK marines and special forces, they were bad mothers in Vietnam and still are

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Did any of you fellows happen to see that 80s film "Attack Force Z", those were Aussies, and it was WW2, so i guess they were Aussie SAS, anyways, good movie, you should see it.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
the SAS and the MIDNIGHT STALKER i dont know actually which branch of US amry was it but the SAS i also have the book like our friend say (dragonridder)

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well since I am partially intoxicated and on a roll, I have the best Special Forces

Tut Tut

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I dont know if i may post this but here it is:
This is a small part from an interview in the latest JDW with MAJ GEN Duncan Lewis. (special operations commander australia.)

The type of military capabilities requested of Australia by Washington were in the area of special ground reconnaissance. "US forces can do these sorts of tasks, but not at the ranges we (the sasr) can. We have extraordinary range and endurance so we can send soldiers to the field and they'll stay there for months if necessary, and in the case of Afghanistan that did happen. One vehicle-mounted sasr patrol was deployed for the best part of three months, before returning to base. That's the kind of thing our guys really do excel at.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Good post shadow1, this is another example of the superior endurance of the Australian SASR.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 01:54 PM
link   
From the sas encyclopedia by steve crawford:

The philosophy of the sas is 'train hard, fight easy' and a soldier who was the embodiment of this ethos is Chris Ryan. While on a Road Watch Patrol during the 1991 Gulf War his patrol was ambushed by Iraqi troops. Seperated from his group whilst in fight, Ryan used his sas training to conquer adverse conditions and survive.
Ryan had little water and food on him, and what he did have was soon used up. By the third day he was both mentally and physically shattered, but he drew on his mental reserves learned from his sas training and he refused to give up and carried on. By the sixth day he was severely dehydrated. He came across a stream and drank copiously from it. Unfortunately it was full of waste from a uranium processing plant and he developed blood and liver problems. He still carried on.
After 7 nights and 8 days alone, he reached the syrian border and safety. He had walked a total of 300km (186 miles).

ps: A good movie involving the sas is: Bravo Two Zero

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
shadow1 has right, but a US Green Beret ( Captain ) did an 8 month mission in North-Vietnam during the Vietnam War. 8 month in an ennemy and hostile jungle, alone with his team.
He has the worldwide record.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
shadow1 has right, but a US Green Beret ( Captain ) did an 8 month mission in North-Vietnam during the Vietnam War. 8 month in an ennemy and hostile jungle, alone with his team.
He has the worldwide record.

There were definately some exceptional SOF in Vietnam. Actually, it wouldn;t surpise me if the title of the best SF's opeator would go to a US soldier from the Vietnam era. Some of them would have been in theater for years. They would have skills which could never be taught or acquired in these short squirmishes we see today.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm just watching this Spetznaz documentary I recorded. It's talking about their involvement in Afganistan, anyway they were just talking about an entire Spetznaz brigade that was wiped out in one day. And that many of the true casualty figures of all Soviet soldiers were grossly understated.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join