It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norfolk Great White.. Back in the news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
My title says " Back in the News" but I should clarify that its a 'Sun' article.

And... I have posted it under Crypto only because there is still some debate over whether or not a Great White would frequent the waters in question ( my thoughts are - why not ).

Apparently, a seal carcass has washed up on the Norfolk shore with a large chunk taken out of it.

Shark Bite

To me, the bite although resembling a Great White bite ( like I'm an expert ), doesn't appear all that big. Unless my perception of the size of the seal is way off, it just seems like a typical shark bite... nothing of great size like the article suggests.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Looks like a pretty big bite to me. I'm no expert either but whatever took a chunk out of that would tear a person in 1/2. I lived out there for many years and never heard anything about large sharks...glad I moved

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There’s no reason why a Great White could not be found off the British Isles coast, but it’s more likely to be a Porbeagle or Shortfin Mako that attacked that seal.
Both these sharks can be found off our coasts and both grow quite large. Each can reach 12ft in length.

[edit on 3/1/2008 by Jibbs]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Nope, that is the corkscrew bite of a Greenland shark. It is actually quite a mystery how the sloth moving greenland sharks are able to catch the fast moving seals. One theory is that the greenland sharks have a wormlike growth on their eyelids that the curious seals can't resist.

For a long time carcass like that kept showing up on Sable Island. The white shark was the first suspect, but after the reasearch it turned out to be the greenland shark.

Greenland sharks are very impressive fish. They can get big! Up to 25 ft. They like to come into the shallows during winter months, probably where the seal was attacked.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jibbs

The British Isles are a little north of the normal range of the Great White Shark. There is no reason a shark couldn't go a little further north, but chances are it'd find the water too cold for it's liking. The seal's attacker is probably one of the other sharks mentioned in previous posts.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
More than you ever wanted to know about the Greenland Shark:

Greenland Shark

Ugly cuss.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DogHead

Nice link Doghead,

Have been to that site before, lots and lots of good shark info.

I didn't realize they were found off the coast where I live, I always thought they were found farther north,learn something new everyday.

Nice mini video at the end of the page

Although slow/sluggish in nature, it seemed to be moving along like any other shark.

As some of the verdicts point to the Greenland Shark, has anyone heard of them in that area before?

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
One bite dose not constitute “frenzied feeding session”

Great Whites are not common in this region, they have been seen in French waters and in the Mediterranean. They are primarily coastal fish rather than oceanic, and can penetrate shallow bays in continental coastal waters. Since they can raise their body temperature 10 degrees above the water's temperature, they are able to sustain cooler waters.

There have been many shark sightings off the coast of England including, great white, Thresher, Porbeagle, and many other.

The most recent sighting was this one

sightin g

I love the fact the news source tries to find the most shocking picture for their article.

Another source for this bite which would make a little more sense to me than a great white, would be the ORCA

they eat seals also and are known to that area and are more prone to be found in colder waters.

Just because something has been bitten in the sea dosent mean a shark did it. But the news organizations need to sell papers huh?

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
also i thought adult gray seals had a darker color. a mix of brown and grey. not just completely gray like this one.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Just when you thought it was safe.......(key Jaws music)

The infamous 'Norfolk Great White' is apparently back in the news after the discovery of what appears to be the remains of a porpoise, found washed up on shore.

People are discounting 'propeller' damage due to the clean cuts to the carcass.

Sensationalism at its best? You decide.

***GRAPHIC picture if your squeamish***

Great White/ Killing Rampage

Still no concrete sightings of the shark yet... hmmmm.

I feel if the shark is patrolling the coast as they suggest, a sighting should be inevitable.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

Sigh! The title of that article is just disturbing. Great white shark feared to be on killing spree. There is zero evidence that a white shark has killed anything or is even swimming in the UK waters. What if is was? A white shark is suppose to eat seals and dolphins. I wouldn't call its normal feeding habits a killing spree.

The white shark that was supposely photograph off the UK this summer was a hoax.

In the orginal article in this thread was clearly the work of greenland shark, click on my Sable Island link for similar bite marks.

No mention in this current article about the real suspect in this purpoise's death, killer whales. Instead the article just tries to frame the white shark with no scientific backing.

Killer whales normally feed on mammals around the UK during winter months. Article from Scotland a year ago.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by testrat

I agree, hence my remarks...

Sensationalism at its best? You decide.

and this one...

Still no concrete sightings of the shark yet... hmmmm.

Although I am not 100% convinced on the Greenland shark, it is a very plausible assesment, along with the Killer Whale.

I'm not contesting whether or not there is a GW roaming the coasts of Britain, my focus was more less ridicule for the journalists that are making more of it that what is actually there.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I found this interesting summation regarding GW's in the UK and all the Tabloid hype surrounded it.

Nicely laid out detailing some of the hoaxes as well as supposed sightings.

Great Whites with British Accents'

(its actually 'wildlifeonline' but I thought I would dress up the title a bit, you know... like the Sun does)

new topics

top topics

join