It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bhutto's son, husband to succeed her

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

NAUDERO, Pakistan - Benazir Bhutto's 19-year-old son was chosen Sunday to succeed her as chairman of her opposition party, extending Pakistan's most famous political dynasty but leaving the real power to her husband, who will serve as co-chairman.

I'm not really sure if this was best choice. Maybe a rush to judgement? I understand the apple doesn't fall far from the tree but...

Her son, Bilawal Zardari, a student with no experience in politics, said he would remain at Oxford University, leaving his father, Asif Ali Zardari, who was officially designated co-chairman, as the effective leader of the country's largest political party.

as as for the father who actually retains the power...

Zardari, who spent eight years under detention on corruption charges in Pakistan before his release in late 2004, is a party powerbroker who served as environment minister in Bhutto's second government. He has denied the charges of large-scale graft during his wife's rule.

any thoughts on this?

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
What are they royalty or something?
why are they being treated as such?

that poor kid probably just wants to stay home and play Wii or something.
"Father, I really, really don't want to wear that huge bullseye on my back"

gimme a break! that is like a death sentence

[edit on 30-12-2007 by Mogwai]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

There are no great choices in Pakistani politics. The Bhutto family is far from perfect as any of them. The real and only power in Pakistan is the Military.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Dawn News

The Pakistan People’s Party on Sunday resolved the potentially explosive succession issue by choosing two-time prime minister Benazir Bhutto’s son Bilawal and allowing her husband Asif Ali Zardari to wield the real power as the teenager’s regent.

Scary. Aren't regents only for monarchs? Of course, nobody is even going to bat an eyelid, and they're most probably going to win a landslide victory anyhow.

[edit on 30-12-2007 by babloyi]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Gotta keep the family political dynasty going by having father and son named as co-chairmen of the PPP.

Her husbands nickname is "Ten Percent", as in taking ten percent off the top. Corruption charges have been following him around for about the last 20+ years.

Sounds like typical politics to me.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
And now Asif Ali Zardari is in charge of Pakistan, what does this mean for future events?

Do people believe this is a good thing, or do some see this news as a bad thing?

The widower of slain opposition leader Benazir Bhutto has been elected president of Pakistan, officials have said.

Partial results after separate votes in the federal and provincial assemblies showed that Asif Ali Zardari won an overwhelming majority of the votes.

Mr Zardari, 53, was known as a polo-playing playboy in his younger days. He spent 11 years in jail on corruption and other charges stemming from his time in government when his wife was prime minister in the 1990s. But he was never convicted and said the charges were politically motivated.

Source.

new topics

top topics

join