It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. gains 1 new immigrant every 30 seconds..we need to stop this.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   

As our nation prepares to ring in the new year, the U.S. Census Bureau today projected the Jan. 1, 2008, population will be 303,146,284 -- up 2,842,103 or 0.9 percent from New Year’s Day 2007

In January, the United States is expected to register one birth every eight seconds and one death every 11 seconds.

Meanwhile, net international migration is expected to add one person every 30 seconds. The result is an increase in the total U.S. population of one person every 13 seconds.

How much longer can we as a nation tolerate this? Millions and millions of uneducated, unskilled people flooding our borders will be the downfall of this nation.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

this is total immigration...
so your bigotry is apparent.
not all immigrants are unskilled or uneducated. many of them are quite skilled or quited educated. my family immigrated to the USA. why? so my dad could get his master's and PHD in physics. hmm...
yes, there are all those students who come to the USA, those count as immigrants too.

also, the argument kind of fails when the exact same one was used against irish and german immigration.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The overwhelming majority of immigrants come from destitute, 3rd world nations. I never said all did I?

In 2006, a total of 1,266,264 immigrants became legal permanent residents of the United States, up from 601,516 in 1987, 849,807 in 2000, and 1,122,373 in 2005. The top twelve migrant-sending countries in 2006, by country of birth, were Mexico (173,753), People's Republic of China (87,345), Philippines (74,607), India (61,369), Cuba (45,614), Colombia (43,151), Dominican Republic (38,069), El Salvador (31,783), Vietnam (30,695), Jamaica (24,976), South Korea (24,386), Guatemala (24,146), Other countries - 606,370.[11] In fiscal year 2006, 202 refugees from Iraq were allowed to resettle in the United States.[12][13] Muslim immigration to the U.S. is rising and in 2005 alone more people from Muslim countries became legal permanent U.S. residents — nearly 96,000 — than in any year in the previous two decades.[14][15]

Try again.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

ok, so your solution is to stop immigration?

here's my solution set things up so that the people that come in can become productive and contributing members of society

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
immigration?

here's my solution set things up so that the people that come in can become productive and contributing members of society

You seem to always imply that this is somehow incumbent upon the U.S to do this. Do these people come from nations without governments? What are those governments doing to improve the situation of their citizenry?

[edit on 28-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

ok, so your solution is to stop immigration?

Absolutely. Our population is growing without it, there is no need for any further immigration.

Thats not our job, nor our duty.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Excellent point Speaker.

Perhaps a good solution would be to help some of these other countries improve their situations so all of their people don't want to flee to America. Wait...that would be policing the world and bullying other countries wouldn't it?

Question for the OP on this as well. Do these numbers on immigration reflect legal or illegal immigration?

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
"quited educated" um, er, well ok. Not a form of poetic english I've heard before but...
Politico industrial/military machine LOVES cheap labor. Especially Mexicanas. They bust their bums, don't b', don't file greivances or work injury related forms...they are gold.
They don't start unions. Ask how many 'outsourced' and foreclosing legals how you feel about this and you just might find they don't feel the love.
Unfortunately, the porous border thing might bite em in the bum, when some unscrupulous drivers LOL might decide to bring some sleeper Hajjis over with some special packages as opposed to letting 70 Mexicanas rot in 134 degree trailer for some extra crow.
Yeah, we DON'T like it, not one bit.
sp

[edit on 28-12-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

well, i meant in terms of "have schools and opportunities"

these people should be given the same chance to succeed as everyone else

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   

well, i meant in terms of "have schools and opportunities"

these people should be given the same chance to succeed as everyone else

Is that not the responsibility of their respective governments?

By the way, there's not a link to the article.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Madenessinmysoul, are you an American? If so where do you live?

I see the negative effects of immigration - legal and illegal - on a daily basis so dont tell me how wonderful it is when the reality is the total opposite. We have no need for mass immigration here in the US, quite frankly we should declare a 10 year moratorium on all immigration so we can get things under control and rebuild the system, and after 10 years we permanently cap it at 100,000 per year.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

He's American, but no longer lives in the states.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I saw it mentioned, so here is the link to the original statement. My quote was the entire thing, and it comes from the census bureau.

click here

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Slacker, Thanks for posting those stats. I would appreciate a freeze on immigration at this time. I think we're just a bit overwhelmed with some of the immigration problems right now.

I don't know if those Census stats include illegals, can you tell us if the stats are inclusive or not?

Madness, we have people entering the US through VISAs or through basic immigration and although some do "contribute", some don't. Unfortunately, those who become legal citizens can qualify for our entitlement programs and that is proving to be more costly than we have the budget for. We can't even afford our OWN.

Many studies have shown that these people have also offset the ability for American-born citizens to get employment in their disciplines. I'd prefer a US citizen to have the right to be gainfully employed and productive instead of watching legal (or illegal) immigrants take what was not their rights by birth here in the US. I am not alone in my sentiments.

Corporate America wants us all to believe that the US is short on employees in the IT and hard science/engineering disciplines. They want increases in work VISAs for their corporate needs. Quite a few foreigners who come to the US on work VISAs will apply for permanent residence/citizenship once here. VISAs need to be decreased so that work here in America can first be offered to Americans. Plain and simple: America first. The reality is that quite a few American graduates here are not hired because foreigners have taken the job for less money. The only motivation is corporate profit.

I would prefer that those who are American citizens be the first-choice, first "priviledged", to become productive in their native country. The US can't solve the world's problems or hire everyone, although the US is outsourcing WAY more than it should.

"The American Dream" is just that. It's not "The Mexican Dream" or "The Chinese Dream". Not everyone can live here.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Exactly how I feel Zoltan, help Americans first and then others but make sure America and Americans are put first. Afterall, thats what I would expect every country to do.

You are also right on with the corporate greed as well.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Zoltan-

Given that there is no reliable way to count the number of illegal invaders crossing our southern border every day, my guess is that those numbers are for legal immigrants only.

Doing the math, it shows a gain of a little over 1 million immigrants every year, which coincides with the numbers of people who come here legally.

It's estimated that anywhere from 1 million up to 3 million illegals enter the U.S. every year as well, so those numbers must be taken into account as well.

We are losing our nation, our culture, and our way of life. Immigration must be halted immediately through whatever means necessary

Bill Gates can go screw himself sideways for wanting to increase the number of H1b visas issued so he can hire indian immigrants to work for Microsoft at a fraction of the wage Americans want.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

It seems to have been good enough for whatever shiprats spawned your family, and their successive generations of anchor babies on up the line to yourself though, huh?

"I'm already here, close the borders!"

"Our culture and way of life"? What exactly, is that? Specifics, please.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by The Walking Fox]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It's amazing to me that no one can ever answer why America is somehow obligated to make sure every other nation on earth have the same quality of life as we do here. Do these countries and people have no government of their own? Are their governments not the ones that are truly obligated to make sure there constituients have what they need? Since when has that become an obligation of the American taxpayer?

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Yet I'll bet you believe the American taxpayer has no obligation to foot the bill for improving American lives, either.

'Splain to me, why immigration was great for your ancestors but should be prevented for everyone else. Perhaps you should hie off to whatever rat-infested squalor heap of a country your ancestors hail from, and then present your argument for why they should have been kept out?

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Walking Fox
Yet I'll bet you believe the American taxpayer has no obligation to foot the bill for improving American lives, either.

You're right, I don't. I understand that everyone needs help now and again. However, these people who are capable of helping themselves but don't,they just live off of others, basically,I really have no use for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join