It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Doner Kebab Meat Mystery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
In the UK, Doner meat is the most popular takeaway food after a night out or just as a quick dinner. Most of us are well aware that the stuff is bad for us but still eat it because it tastes pretty nice.

However, nobody really knows what goes into kebab 'meat' and for some reason it is nigh on impossible to find any information regarding it's ingredients.

Here is the article that made me start this thread;

Link

My aim for this thread is to try and find out if anyone has anymore info as to what is in it, what can and can't be put in it under FSA regulations.

Up until now, I have accepted that it is made from the hosed down carcasses of lamb which is probably unlikely in most cases.. at least I hope so...

[edit on 17-12-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
good thread must say ive wondered a couple of times what is actually in these things.

i have heard that the main ingredients are milk and lamb
hope that helps

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
There's currently a court case going on in Blackpool regarding kebab shop owners that allegedly murdered a young girl and disposed of her remains via their kebabs. There really are some sick deranged people in this world

You just never know what you're actually getting handed to you from some takeaways, and probably never will either.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think kebabs are much like black pudding, haggis and all the rest of the tasty food we Brits buy in a drunken stupor at 2am following a night out ... you really don't want to know what goes into it.

Better just to clog your arteries in innocence ?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Here in Melbourne, AU...A kebab after a band and a skinful of beer is a tradition...The Melbourne pub music scene has survived on it for a couple decades....

Long live the Melbourne pub music post kebab scene !!!! wooo !!!

hehehehe

Its all true folks....Come to Melbourne and enjoy live bands till the wee hours, much booze,and the pre bed kebab...marvelous !!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
in the uk most of it comes from France,

i believe the factory is near Rennes,

snoopyuk

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This might be useful :-

Amid reports of salmonella, crunchy cockroaches and 22% fat, Bibi van der Zee asks what one of the nation's favourite fast foods is really made of

Friday October 6, 2006
The Guardian

Poor old doner kebabs. It has been a bad news summer for the doner, full of nasty revelations about high salt levels, high fat levels and nastier still stories about putrid meat, cockroaches, and salmonella. Any minute now, David Cameron will be promising a ban.

A month ago, a German supplier committed suicide after officials found rotten meat on his premises. The meat was up to four years old. Best-before dates had been altered, meat was frozen, defrosted, turned into doner kebabs, and then refrozen (against all health advice), and then sold on through what news sources referred to as a "clandestine network supplying fast-food scams".

Source

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I've not set foot in a kebab shop since my friend passed her 'Environmental Health' qualifications and regaled me with the finer details of a take-away inspection

Just the factor that several kilos of meat are heated slowly all-night with small amounts shaved off to be served, left to go cold on the spit after the shop has shut for the night, and then the heat/cool process repeated over many nights until the mass of mystery meat has all been used is enough to induce churning

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Who says we Brits don't adopt the best of other cultures.
There are 2 things you are guaranteed to find in every British town, city or village; an Indian Take Away and a Kebab Shop.
Nothing better after a good night out than a Large Donner with Chilli and Garlic Sauce.
Oh, and lest we forget that other traditional past time that seems to go hand in hand; a good old punch up where some poor innocent ends up getting hospitalised for "looking at our lass" or something equally provocative!

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I remember hearing when I was in Germany that the meat that is put on a doner is lamb. Although, it could just be compressed lamb parts like McDonald's does with chicken nuggets here in America. ha.

Tom

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Hmmm...that chunk of meat in the photo looks kind of like the stuff that is used to make gyros here in the States.

See the 6th image down on the below page --

Gyro Meat

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well that looks the same as good ol' doner meat. However it is the 'beef' and 'lamb' that is unclear, it could be anything from select cuts of meat (which it isn't) to skin, rind, fat, membrane, genitals or organs ugh... The latter could still be called 'lamb' couldn't it?

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

dont forget the good old fashioned chinese

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Funny think is that people still believe that Döner Kebab is created orginally in Turkey. But for the matter of fact, its greated in Berlin / Germany) by a turkish fastfood Shopowner. There are 2 versions of Döner. One with lambmeat and one with chicken since most european dont like lamb.

In Germany, the meat is produced by 3 large factories who mostly owned by Turkish people. The have to follow german health laws and are tested frequently for quality and ingredients.

Not giving away a recipe isnt a conspiracy. Or does Coca Cola offering a look into their recipes?!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I dont cares whats in it and how its handled. Kebabs are the best thing after stumbling out of the pub at 4am in the morning, (unless you pick up, chicks tend to avoid you if you've had a kebab with garlic sauce :@@

On the other hand I guess if you get a dodgy one, it makes the detoxing of the alcohol in the system, the next morning a lot easier

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
i always figured those huge kebabs and gyro meat bricks were on the same nutritional level as hot dogs.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mallory-john
Funny think is that people still believe that Döner Kebab is created orginally in Turkey. But for the matter of fact, its greated in Berlin / Germany) by a turkish fastfood Shopowner. There are 2 versions of Döner. One with lambmeat and one with chicken since most european dont like lamb.

In Germany, the meat is produced by 3 large factories who mostly owned by Turkish people. The have to follow german health laws and are tested frequently for quality and ingredients.

Not giving away a recipe isnt a conspiracy. Or does Coca Cola offering a look into their recipes?!

Kebab meat is not only manufactured in Germany, it is manufactured by many companies in the UK and presumably in any other country that it is popular.

There have been many instances in the UK with meat processing company's not following Health and Safety laws and no doubt there are plenty out there still cutting corners and using dodgy meat.

Doner meat did infact start in Turkey so I don't know where you get the idea that it was created in Berlin from??

As for giving away a recipe, I hardly think avoiding listing any ingredients or method at all is fair, people have a right to know what they are eating.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I prefer to call them 'Rat in a Coffin'.

It's funnier than 'Rat in a Sack'.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I think these people had some of that meat..

I would stay away from it if I were you.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
I think these people had some of that meat..

LOLERZ @ DFB!!

Being an American this is what I was thinking they were talking about as well!!

I hope one of these Brits will get descriptive about this so called DONER MEAT.....as it sounds to me much like something DONATED out of desperation, and not something one would 'seek out'...........

[edit on 23-12-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join