It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Large Hadron Collider

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
for thos who dont know what the Large Hadron Collider is, here is the wikipedi page-en.wikipedia.org...

does anybody has any predictions on how this machine will react?

my prediction is ultimate destruction.
but if it works, finally we will be able to disprove religion and the intelligent creator theory, and we finally gonna get all the answers we all have been asking since the begging of reason.

post what u think

jra

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Drzava

Where do you get the idea of "ultimate distruction" from?

I also fail to see what the LHC has to do with disproving religion and what not. Could you elaborate?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The LHC was due to be powered up last monday (26 Nov) but that date had to be postponed due to technical problems...we'll just have to wait till May '08 to see what happens when they run this amazing machine at full-power!

New start-up schedule for world's most powerful particle accelerator

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Drzava may be referring to this when he mentions his 'ultimate destruction theory':

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd imagine that the religious aspect comes from the Higgs boson, sometimes termed 'the God particle' because of its theorized fundamental nature. As a religious person and as a holder of a scientific degree, I don't think that this has anything to do with proving or disproving God.

How do I think the machine will react? I think it will be similar to any other particle collider. They will smash some really small stuff and study the results. I don't foresee any kind of disaster or calamity from this, other than possibly the waste of $2.6 billion if they don't learn anything useful.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by DragonsDemesne]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
nothings gonna happen!,particles are smashed together at faster speeds in the jets of quasars and supernovae and nothing calamitous happens!

i get exited by things such as this,why i never took physics ile never know!

i wanna charge a negatively charged magnet into a positive state when its resting on a magnetars positively charged pole and see if i can hitch a ride!,hmmm you could get two opposing magnetars to do it and you got one hell of an atom smasher!

anyone follow me?

[edit on 3-12-2007 by welivefortheson]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
here are some pictures:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jra

I think he got the idea from Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. Too many coincidences to be a purely original thought.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jra

WHEN I said ultimate destruction i meant, our solar system will blow up.
i know it a little exgagerated, but if we want to play big bang we have to live with the consequences that this may destroy the solar system.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Drzava]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
had·ron (hād'rŏn') Pronunciation Key
n. Any of a class of subatomic particles that are composed of quarks and take part in the strong interaction. See Table at subatomic particle.

The above is one of the definitions of Hadron and based on this definition I would
have to say that we have already seen what will happen this is not to say that we do not learn new things every time we perform these types of experiments
just saying that we have observed quarks in super conductor super colliders in the past maybe on a smaller scale maybe not but they have been observed.

I am also not saying that at some point we will not blow ourselves out of our own boots but everyone thought the same thing of the Atomic Bomb even the some of the scientists thought we could potentially burn the atmosphere..

anyway

My two Cents

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The LHC rocks!
Its an incredible feat of engineering,and with only a miniscule chance that it will create an ever expanding black hole sucking in the earth and entire solar system.

And I think the magnets were made in Wales(which makes its twice as cool IMO).
I want to go to see it one day when its up and running.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drzava
my prediction is ultimate destruction.

If you can consider a mosquito to be a weapon of ultimate destruction, then be my guest and knock yourself out.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
I think the magnets were made in Wales(which makes its twice as cool IMO).

[welsh accent] And by 'Jones the quark' no less, boyo [/welsh accent]

I'm not too hot on particle physics but I wonder if they may be able to discover a way to create and contain a stable exotic-matter particle in that huge magnetic field

May can't come fast enough!

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Drzava

I've been waiting for this since I started reading Michio Kaku.
what I hopewill happen is that we will finally start to get a grasp on these questions that might be answered by this expiriment:

Are there extra dimensions, as predicted by various models inspired by string theory, and can we "see" them?

What is the nature of dark matter and dark energy?

The first question is the most interesting to me, as that it would provide a "hint" or "clue" as to whether we're going in the right direction as far as extra dimensions go. As stated in some of Michio Kaku's works, though, the entire planetdoes not posses enough power to prove this theory for years to come unless we have a breakthrough in energy production.

Hence the next question to be answered. Many scientists believe the answer to an almost exponentially endless (and perhaps the ultimate destruction you speak of) energy could be utilized from dark matter/energy, something we know literally nothing about. But, eventually, dark matter may be the energy source we need to power an extra-dimensional device.

Exciting indeed.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
From that wiki page the OP posted, this is the standout part for me:

"The primary cause for concern is that Hawking Radiation - a postulated means by which any such black holes would dissipate before becoming dangerous, remains entirely theoretical."

Well, we know Hawking is a pretty smart guy, but smart guys have been wrong about physics in the past. I don't feel too comfortable dabbling in something like this based on pure theory. Of course though I have to take his word for this stuff, as everything I know is based on popular science journals and high school textbooks, hardly the best of sources on anything.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'm not trying to throw negative abuse at comment, but its not fair to chuck religion out of the picture, it seems like you have a hatred towards it. I know religion stands in the way of a lot of scientific research which isn't right. But religion as a concept on its own is still very important.

The LHC won't disprove religion at all, even if almost everything was understood religion would still be in the picture. As of yet there is know way of claiming our existence on our dimension and all the laws manifestied themselves.

Personally It seems like were are all in a giant computer simulation. Possibly some exsperiment of another race invisibly watching us. But that just an Idea, not what I believe.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I like your excitement for this project as you realise its pontentials. Wouldn't it be such a massive waste of money if we find nothing. But what thing we can all say is, that it is trully the smaller things rather than the bigger things that are more important.

Scientist have actually already proved that these extra dimension exist. They've seen these particals disapear through them. Actually being able to analyse the effects which these extra dimension permit is increabible difficult.

A qestion which still baffles scientist is why everything is mainly manifiested within the third dimension.

I think once we understand how to interact and use these extra dimensions we defiantly be able to start having some fun.

I think it could potentially lead to the human race operating in a completely diffrent way.

It could open the possibility of timetravel, teleportation.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Sam Cerulean]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
("Where do you get the idea of "ultimate distruction" from")

Well Actually the is a massive risk. I find unbelievable that people of such intelligence are risking everything.

It has been stated during a big comitee debate at CCNN that the potential for the LHC to cause an cataustropic event is 10%.

They believe that the Hawking Raditation theory of evaporating Black Holes isn't going to work. That means that when a black hole manifiests itself within our planets core, it gonna start sucking everything thing in being us aswell. I don't want to be turned into a singularity or transported to somewhere across the other side of the universe.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Destruction? No destruction will happen, the worst that will happen is that they create a tiny black hole that will disappear in the matter of seconds.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
World’s biggest particle smasher completed
Ambitious experiment will help scientists re-create Big Bang conditions
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Quasars are unexplained super super massive releases of energy
probably from a type II civilization trying to become a type III and faiiling spectacularly.
Sorry Michio borrowed your nomenclature.
www.mkaku.org...

The LHC while a flea bite in the course of normal events in our galaxy
may point the way to trying experiments only a type II or III civilization should perform. Possibly a prima facia reason we are observed from other
alien races. Self preservation is a strong motivation in our culrure
likely the same in alien cultures. If all the zero point energy was realized
in our solar system at the same time even our puny Sun would have no delusions of grandeur compare to the Quasor which would destory all life both ours and alien within 20000 light years.

How far would the alien watchers go to prevent this? just wait and see.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
A Black Hole by its very definition cannot "evaporate". A black hole, no matter what size will continue to draw in any nearby particles of matter and continue to grow.

The current Big Bang Theory concerning the creation of the universe has several "holes" in it. These discrepancies are discussed in greater detail in a paper called Dodd's Paradox

Serious questions regarding the theory of the Big Bang is explored in terms of current understanding of Black Holes as they relate to physics, as well as from a purely astronomical standpoint. If one reads this paper, (which is very easy to understand), the Big Bang Theory as a possibility suddenly becomes very questionable. Astronomy suggests that the Big Bang is incorrect, and so does a careful examination of Black Holes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join