It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone explain the official reason we are in Iraq?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I've been trying to look at the war outside of any conspiracy topic and I can't really figure it out. Which would lead me to believe that one of the conspiracy reasons may be the actual one, but first I would like to clarify exactly what they think the reasons are.

First it was WMD's, which we now know weren't there. They said it was about Saddam but we've since executed him. Are we really supposed to believe that we are there to spread democracy? Is that the explanation that our government is going with, because it makes no sense.

I find it hard to believe that our government loves democracy so much that it must allow everyone to experience the wonderful joy of capitalist 'freedom'. Oh if these heathens only knew what it is like to have numerous Starbucks and Walmarts in every town.

Some people say we're there to take their oil... ok so great, where is our cheap gas? It seems more likely that they went there to lower production so that we are forced into paying higher prices. Oil was $20 a barrel when Bush was elected and now it's about to hit $100. Heck, I'd like to believe we are in Iraq to take their oil but it obviously isn't that.

I hear Bush talk a lot about needing to keep the pressure going and how we need to support the troop surge but I feel like they aren't even giving us an excuse as to why we've been there so long. The only thing I feel like I'm hearing is that the insurgency would rise and so on, but really... who cares? Let them fight each other, isn't that underhandedly what we would want? I consider every human life valuable and don't wish death or injury upon any of them but when it comes at the cost of our lives then it's a different story. Let your enemies take each other out instead of sacrificing our soldiers.

What is the official explanation of why we are still there? It seems like it should be so simple, maybe I'm overlooking something but it seems like they are getting away without even giving us a reason. Like a father pulling out the "because I said so".

Sorry if this is simple and been discussed to death, kindly tell me to look somewhere else but I figured a lot of people on here would know more than me. Thanks for taking the time to read over my thoughts and reply to my question. Have a great day

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
the official reason ?

I'd say rebuilding the security forces, infrastructure, and holding the fort until they can govern and protect themselves

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Yeah, but what's the reason for that? These things wouldn't be problems had we never gone over there or not stayed so long. So we were willing to spend billions of dollars and lives so that Iraq could have a better government?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I suspect by official reason, you mean the false propaganda they serve to the public? Essentially there is no official reason, since the initial premise was all based on fraud. Now we are at the point that we can't leave or we lose all we worked and invested for.

As for the real reason, it's for strategic control of the Middle East, securing all its of natural resources, expanding the empire into the old soviet block and preparing for world war 3.

Alan Greenspan claims Iraq war was really for oil

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
From our Blair's point of view it was that we had irrevocable evidence of WMD's (which we had probably sold them anyway....but keeping to the point) even though the nominated world expert Hans Blix was unconvinced and so ignored. Parliament voted for it despite a rebellion in both parties (both leaders were in agreement) and scraped through by a majoirty of 5 as a 'non-binding vote' which we found out a month later was binding, and we started killing.
That is the evil visitation that New Labour brought on the Iraq people, and led directly to our terrorist attacks. It has led to phone tapping and triangulation, in the name of the war on terror, on a massive scale, and so lots of drugs busts until the dealers woke up. Now the busts are down, but a few less people in Britain smoke cannabis now (coz we can't find it so easily) and I'm sure the Iraqi people will feel proud to be part of that. I think there is a very dark authoritarian streak in some quarters of my country and they don't care who they've got to kill to get it.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I'm really not sure but I would say for oil and to get one step closer before we go into Iran. All this crap about WMD's and liberating people and terrorist was just a smoke screen. If we really weren't there for all that then why didn't we go into North Korea where they were building WMD's and oppressing their people and watching them dying in the streets from starvation. But we didn't do anything and why probably because they have no oil or any other resource we would be able to use, except maybe later for cheap labor.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I'm really not sure but I would say for oil and to get one step closer before we go into Iran. All this crap about WMD's and liberating people and terrorist was just a smoke screen. If we really weren't there for all that then why didn't we go into North Korea where they were building WMD's and oppressing their people and watching them dying in the streets from starvation. But we didn't do anything and why probably because they have no oil or any other resource we would be able to use, except maybe later for cheap labor.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
sorry about the posts not sure what happend

top topics

join