It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan calander ends at 4772 October 13?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
i have foound this on wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...

it says that at 4772 October 13: The Maya Calendar Ends
is below the atronomical events
[edit] Astronomical events
4285 August 6: Venus occults Regulus
4296 November 22: Venus occults Antares
4557 November 10: Venus occults Regulus
4747 August 14: Venus occults Regulus
4772 October 13: The Maya Calendar Ends

can u tell me if this is true/?
and if it is, whats with the 2012 paranoia?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I don't know if that's the correct end date or not, but the calendar definitely continues past 2012. The only reason for the 2012 paranoia is that it's the end of one Buktun (395 years). This would be the first Baktun that's ticked over since we figured out the Mayan calendar that's all. There have been 12 previous Baktuns without incident.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Actually, my quick calculation comes out at 4786 for the end of the calendar using the base 20 system that they used.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
gosh, then wth is wrong with people?

12 cycles, and nothing happend?
whats so important about number 13?? friday the 13th?

new age freaks man, surpertisionist idiots.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
It's probably something to do with the fact that the Mayan calendar was based on a series of stars called the Peladies and once 2012 rolls around the stars can no longer be used as a point of reference.

Why would the Mayans design a calendar that was based off a series of stars that will no longer be able to be used in 2012? They're so smart they invented the world's most accurate calendar but couldn't make it so it would endlessly repeat?

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that in 2012 the sagitarius dwarf galaxy becomes parallel to the milky-way? After that point all calendars are useless anyways. Maybe they were on to something eh?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
i know they were great astronomer
and i belive that 2012 mayan is something about astronomy, and changes in the cosmos.

but end of the world? new age spiritual crap? what about that

[edit on 20-11-2007 by Drzava]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
They didn't base it on the Pliedes, they based a large part of their calendar on Venus which should still be around in 2013.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Mayan calender... I am now all confused...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by communicator
Mayan calender... I am now all confused...

can i know why?

also, dont buy into the new age and end of the world crap, is not true,
makes no sense at all.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
You're right, it makes no sense at all. The Mayans still exist and still use their calendar in parts of Guatemala. They don't think anything special is going to happen in 2012.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
You're right, it makes no sense at all. The Mayans still exist and still use their calendar in parts of Guatemala. They don't think anything special is going to happen in 2012.

hehehe, man, i forgot about them.
thx

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Drzava

Their (long count) calendar ends on (Gregorian) 12/21/2012 -- exactly on this version of their long count dating technique, to the Mayans, that's year:

I've been reading the Mayan research book, The Ancient Maya (6th ed) which talks about the significance of the number thirteen:

The ancient Mayan reckoned their chronology from a fixed-point corresponding to the end of the preceding great cycle of thirteen bak'tuns (a period of approximately 5,128 solar years.)

Sharer has mentioned (in the 5th edition) that Mayans weren't more advanced then Copernicus or Kepler scientifically, so don't expect much for 2012.

[edit on 20-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Actually the mayans DO believe something is going to happen around 2012. Maybe not the vast majority of them, but those who have tried to preserve the ancient ways and customs of their people.

Many archaeologists and tribesman have gone on record stating that several important temples and cities have actually been buried by the Mayan people to prevent outsiders from learning their secrets. They have stated that the monument which explains a lot about the approaching calendar end has been deliberately hidden.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Scalamander

Well, like a thread I started about a 'secret chambers search' in Belize -- maybe that's what you're referencing, nowhere in the true anthropology research does it say "something" will happen -- do you have any sources as to these claims Scalamander, regarding "they"? Not w/ the names "Calleman" or "Hand Clow" please.

Plus, it's known that the fourth Mayan codex is a fake, which has some references to Venus. The Grolier codex. Yet there's tons of websites that don't even question its authenticity.

[edit on 20-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Are these the same guys that said the calendar was based on Pliedes and we won't need calendars after 2012?

Do you have a source for that?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
So is our sun not going to be aligned to the center of our galaxy (galactic center ) on the winter solstice of 12/21/2012?

Also the fourth Grolier Codex was not proven fake, they are still not sure of its authenticity.

Orion_

[edit on 20-11-2007 by Orion_grey]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Scalamander:
Why would the Mayans design a calendar that was based off a series of stars
that will no longer be able to be used in 2012?

I'm fond of the 2012 idea, but consider this: Why would programmers design a calendar year dataspace that was based off of only two digits that would no longer be accurate after 2000? How can you expect the Mayans to be more prescient than 1970's programmers?

Hopefully 2012 will be no more destructive than Y2K was.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
2012 is obviously NOT the end of the world.

[edit on 22-11-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

nobody said the end of the world

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
My Driver License expires in the year 2012 (that much I know for sure). Oh and I heard something once about Death and Taxes.

Anyway I hope something really good happens - I guess that would really surprise everyone at the rate we are going. If something really bad happens or a lot of people die - it's just another day on this blue planet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join