It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so my pc got hacked...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Sunday...I'm playing wow after a long day of witting and downloading beats from producers....Monday i get up to check my various music site...and SUPRISE! one of my system files is corrupted/or removed...im like wtf..then it hit me...i got hacked...to some not a big deal...to others huge deal....to me its a disaster...im an artist...and i use primarily my pc for writing my songs....now my previously recorded songs...they are fine...but all the writing...all the beats from various producers....that i had acquired for my album...GONE!....i can get the beats back...and i can more then likely salvage my album...it will be delayed...but i can always write that is one thing i have no problem doing...the songs i had picked out and wrote most of..there in memory for the most part....but ive compiled writings for the last two years on my pc....a-lot of which i don't even remember....now they are gone....and its all because somebody thought...hey it would be fun to hack this guys pc...:uzi
EOPLE WHO HACK PEOPLE FOR NO REASON ARE LAME!

oh and on a side note...i don't know if this has anything to do with it or not....but me and a friend have sort of a running joke...with a bit of seriousness...about being listened to and watched by the gov....and the day before my pc got hacked...i happened to be on the phone with said friend talkin about how they took down a particular site i frequent...and in jest said....they only did it cause they cant get into my pc.....the next day...my damn pc is dead......coincedence...you tell me...all i know is im pissed off and about it Peace!

from your friendly don't hurt nobody,
ats hip hop artist,

Future Flow

spelling

[edit on 15-11-2007 by future flow]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
sorry to hear that.

hope you now have a good firewall, good antivirus and all the tools to prevent it from happening again.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

i appreciate the sorry lol good to hear from you
its been awhile since I've been on i been busy...but yea i've completely beefed up security with a lot of new toys....I'm really not trying have that go down again....its the lamest thing ever.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Ever heard of backing up!!

I know... I sound like a nob, but I used to have to work on a help desk (bleeding agency work, why can't I ever keep a real job LOL)and just about the only thing I usually recommended was a complete system recovery -- basically cos after a week listening to the same cr..stuff I tend to default.

If it is important back it up! and if it's your job back it up some more!! - used to have people crying cos they brought a laptop last week and suddenly their entire future relies on the on the hard drive making funny noises.

backing up is such a piece of p today - flash sticks, RAID, DVD roms, online to be honest not got a great deal of sympathy. My old man practically beat into me 7 P's. (Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by future flow

That sucks to hear, but I think it happens to us all sooner or later. It happened to me a few years ago, I now know to backup/save anything of importance on my computer, as I'm sure you will too now. Look on the bright side, be thankful that none of your personal info was stolen. That would be a much worse situation to deal with!

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
actually until it happened i had no idea about backing up....im kinda a pc novice...i mean i,ve had one for awhile...but ive kinda just been winging it lo...i know it was bound to happened not being prepared....but damn if it wasn't at the worst most unexpected time....i know in my 4 days of downtime have decided to read up and get semi efficient in all of the areas i use my pc for....but still that was about the weakest thing ever to happen...in history...hackers are still SUPER LAME!

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Not to be the nay-sayer, but how do you know you were hacked? From your description it sounds more like corrupt files, which will often become un-openable, and sometimes unable to be seen at all. Was it on an external drive? Did the drive become corrupt? Prior to this did your computer run a check disk? Sometimes if it finds corrupt files and erases them.

Most "hackers" won't just mess with a random dude they find on the internet. Usually they attack larger networks and/or companies. And if they do hack individual users they more often steal credit card info and bank account numbers. If they don't find that they'll move on to someone else. Think about it. Why would someone spend the time, effort and money hacking someone not to get anything in return?

I'm betting on a corrupt drive or drive sector.

Do this, run a backup to and external drive or DVD, then run a disk defrag, then run a check disk. I'm betting you'll find many bad sectors.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

and yea you are right it would have been bad to have my info stolen...i geuss lol i do have horrible credit so my info is pretty un valuable and no credit cards that they could have spent on....but i feel like somebody hated on me hardcore for no reason....why couldn't they have done this to some garbagio artists who doesn't say anything semi important in his music you know...im good though backup is def what i intend to do from now on...and actually as far as my witting goes...im taking it back to the note books...that will never fail me...unless some a-hole burns my house down...lol

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

i don't know somebody hacked me....and i don't know any of what you just said lol so it probably is what happened...but if you read the last part of what i wrote in my op...thats kinda why i feel i was hacked...i know its not probable...but damn if it don't seem like to big a coincidence....

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Just because a system file is corrupt doesnt mean your data is gone. If you have your windows CD and key there is a pretty easy way of recovering the system without loosing your data.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
well if thats the case any help would be welcomed my friend..care to give any?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'll write up instructions today and U2U them in the afternoon, but before we do anything try this: When you first turn on your computer keep pressing the F8 key, it has to be done before windows starts booting, then you will get a menu with several choices. Choose safe mode and see if it boots, if it doesnt do the same thing again but this time choose Last known good configuration. If neither work then we'll proceed with the system restore.

[edit on 16-11-2007 by Lecter]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by future flow
well if thats the case any help would be welcomed my friend..care to give any?

I some cases you don't even need the CD. You can run sfc (system file check) and it will repair any corrupt system files automatically. WHat OS do you have?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i was thinking what Rasobasi420 said. it could be that you either have developed physical errors on your disk (it's all based on magnetism - if the little metal shavings decide not to hold a charge so well, you will lose data in those parts), or there could be some software running in the background that hosed your system for you.

i don't know how you're getting online, but generally even being behind a router helps keep 99.999999% of stuff from getting in as they don't forward ports by default. if you're plugging your cable/dsl modem directly into your PC then yes, you better be sure you have a good software firewall installed.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Duuude. That sucks big time. I feel your pain man. You know what I been going through with my PC. Aye aye aye. :shk: I guess it was semi-goodtiming, as one of my fave BT sites got shut down by our lovely Dutch friends.
Who knows if you actually got hacked of it one of your files got corrupted, but regardless, that REALLY sucks that you lost all of your writing. Man I would be SO salty. Hopefully there is something that can be salvaged. Maybe you can get that info off of your HD somehow. Unless you HD is completely crapped out, you should be able to salvage some of the stuff on there that was unreplaceable, for a small fee of course. Hope this setback doesnt throw the album off too far from the original drop date. Keep the kids posted..Aiiight.

peace

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
thanks for all the help yall and at don wahn yes that is my fav bt site as well....i know exactally which one your talkin bout lol but yea if nothing else works im hoping the good peoples at one of the pc shops around here can at least grab some of my stuff for me....and yea i was super salty im better now though...

and thanks to everyone else for the good advice ill try out the suggestions and let everyone know how it goes.....Peace!

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   
@ anomaly,x-phile,and lecter....i already did a system restore thats how im able to be back online and such....i had gotten some of my recorded songs...and a few other meaningless files...i just dont seem to have my notepad doc's any of my music or my pics and stuff like that....the hard drive space is still the same as it was before implying that its still there i jsut dont know how to get to it...or if i even can lol....if theres a way id love for any help on that...if not then still let me know and ill let the pc shop dude take a crack at it....again thanks and Peace!

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Do you use microsoft word? If so click on start and search then type in *.doc and select drive C: and let it search the entire drive for microsoft word documents. If you use a different program you will have to change the extension.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lecter

i use notepad...lol what would that be...im kind of a computer tard

top topics

join