It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it that we hit things?

page: 1

join
share:
Al

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Why is it that we hit things when we want them to be fixed? If most people break something, or something is going wrong... they just naturally hit it. Whether it is a TV, a Computer, or any other object? Is physical force supposed to scare it into working?

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Because deep down we all think we are The Fonz.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Actually we hit things because we are mad that they are broken. On a few occasions hitting something gets it working again, at least for a little while.

Al

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I thought about that.. but sometimes I see people who really arn't mad... or even, they go over your house, your TV starts acting up or something, then they go, "I know how to fix it" *SMACK!* Happend once at a friends house/

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Al

There's more too this than I think everyone believes. On little example. Sometimes when an item is stuck in a vending machine all I have to do is touch the side the machine (not hitting or anything) and the goodie falls loose. Every now and then I might have car trouble. I just talk softly to the car and it starts right up.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
My chef in school once told me " if it doesn't work, kick it. It may not fix it but it will make you feel better"

Words to live by in a kitchen.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Its an instinct from childhood... when something/someone doesn't do what we want, we hit it.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Yea i think this traces back to child hood as well. When kids are mad because they can't do something with their toys or video games they get frustrated. I see a lot of frustrated kids result to pounding there fists and whining. I find many adults often acting like children when something isn't going their way.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I hit things not of anger, but with the expectation that my hitting it is going to cause it to start working again. I do think that a great deal of people hit things as a means to express and relieve their anger. Others I think actually do expect to the problem to be fixed. I don't agree with the notion that it's natural though.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

You mean I'm not REALLY the fonz?

ehhhhhhhhh

Jasn

top topics

join