It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW- Bright object next to the moon?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ok ..it was early this morning and I was out side of my place of bussniess, as my job requires me to do at various times. It was about 6:50 am EST time and the weather was cold and clouds were variable.

I saw the moon clearly, and right next to it was an extremely bright object. I marveled at the fact it was so visible to the naked eye and immediately thought it was one of the recent probes sent up by Japan or China

I took four pics and 2 of them were streaked beyond comprehension. I took the two that were not (steadied my arms on the back of my Jeep!) Here's what they turned out like...I used the maximum zoom : unedited pictures ...

Image 1

Image 2

So here I was thinking...cool..I'm going to get a decent pic of the probe. When I took the camera back inside to look at the pics on the pc....we were amazed at the apparent size of the object and shape in correlation with the moon. I made a diagram to better illustrate the point:

Ok so, if its not one of the probes....just exactly what is it? Interesting pictures none the less...I love when you snap off a couple of pics and end up with more than you bargained for! BONUS> Any ideas people....???

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
this pictures are great, i will not call this proof, but they are damn good.

i recommend all of u to get a small telescope and observe the moon very closely, some are saying activity around the moon is high.

G-O-O-D-Y P-R-O-C-T-O-R

jra

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
That would be Venus. I noticed it this morning as well.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
YOu might have got a pic of that comet that is blowing up right now. Since the moon moves across the sky, could you tell if it stayed alongside the moon, or stayed in one spot as the moon moved?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ChilledVoodoo

The object tracked with the moon as it traveled across the morning sky. I would check on it periodically to see if it moved or left ( was still visible in the daylight) and it DID NOT.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

KOOL!
So, when did Venus deflate?

On a serious note...I do NOT know what it is or was...does Venus track, at that distance, with the moon across the sky? This is a discussion so your ideas are welcome...these photos were take in the East South-Eastern sky...so any Astronomy buffs are encouraged to reply...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
jra is correct. It is Venus.

From spaceweather.com...

VENUS AT NOON: Venus is bright enough to see in broad daylight; the trick is finding it in the wide blue sky. Today it's easy because Venus is located beside the crescent Moon. Find the Moon and scan the sky nearby for a silver pinprick of light--Venus at noon!

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nL1ghtened
KOOL!
So, when did Venus deflate?

Venus is currently a crescent as seen from Earth. That probably explains your "deflation".

And, yes, Venus and the moon stayed near each other all day.

[edit on 5-11-2007 by IAttackPeople]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
hey, heres some pictures to show where the planets were located.
not sure if its any help though.

i used this site ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit. too late i see, guess it was venus then =]

[edit on 5-11-2007 by rapturas]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 1nL1ghtened

good pics is there any pics out there similar?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
i also saw that same thing this morning ill see if i can get a more steady shot so we can get a good look.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Here's a link to the story of the Comet 17P/Holmes. I don't think this is what we have been seeing, but I've noticed it too. Good work.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
i saw it the other morning. its venus? now i feel like an idiot. i thought it was comet holmes and told my family to look at that bright comet.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by stellawayten

Dont feel bad..thats why we post pictures and reports here....several hundred or thousand brains working on an issue is much better that one!

Thanks for all the replies people and clearing up the mystery.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
definatley venus, it's the most visible thing in the sky besides the moon at the moment, stunningly bright actually.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I would say its either the planet Nibiru or Venus, 50/50 each way

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
OK folks..you should dowload the program call Stellarium..is very nice planetary and star charter so everytime you are up watching the sky you can have some idea of what are you seeing, its free you dont pay a dimme and its very cool! I use it with my Telescope (Celestron C6-ASGT) and love it....

You can download in here
www.stellarium.org

there are for every version (Windows, Mac, Linux)

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I saw the same thing too about 6am in the UK. Even from the naked eye it kinda looked "deflated" like shown in the pics above. I thought it was the comet at first but when I looked at the same time this morning the moon was not out and the light was in the exact same place. I also noticed a LOT of activity around the moon on the evening of Nov 4th. There were lights going back and forth past the moon all night. We've also had some REALLY weird moon rises here in the UK - well, from my POV anyway. I also saw 2 shooting stars the other night when comet holmes was probably at its brightest and visible to the naked eye. This might sound kinda dumb but are shooting stars actually broken fragments of other comets shooting-by or are they as they're called, shooting stars that are basically outta control (and perhaps controlled by other "intelligent beings")

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Here Read this primer on "shooting stars"...

Shooting stars are mostly grit from space colliding at very high speed with air molecules high up in the sky.

www.space.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Howdy:
I was watching the Shuttle and ISS at this same time crossing above me in central Florida.
I am also an astronomer.
That bright light or star next to the moon was the plant, Venus.
Take a course in general astronomy. You will thoroughly enjoy it.

Clark (KSCVeteran)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join