It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California fires Spark Martial Law?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Here is an intersting call in radio program in San Diego.

www.signonsandiego.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Suspected California Arson KIlled by Police!

cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Just wanted to let any of our forum members know that were still here for you as you challenge the most incredible evacuation in California history.

We are here for you and wait to hear your stories when you have time to share.

Be safe tonight and know that many more people than you will ever know are watching over you and praying for your safety.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
some reports are winds are calming down, lets pray for the wildlife and people in harms way

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Thanks High Priest, you better believe it, they are in many prayers and the collective have joined forces to help the winds subside we just have to watch that the winds do not change directions and cause a back flash of new fires.

Here is a great website with a lot of good information for finding resources from Animal evacuation to tips and helpful hints as to what to do in the event of emergencies. There are also lists of shelters and many other resources.

www.sdcountyemergency.com...

As people begin to come out of the shock it is going to be a time of many more challenges psychologically, and for the people that lost their homes and are unable to return, a time of great need for support in 'many ways'.

The long term over load on emergency personnel and hospital first responders has just begun as the particles which have drifted into the surrounding communities and distant cities will begin to cause upper respiratory problems and the over load on the emergency workers is going to last a very long time into the future.

Do what you can to avoid contact directly, stay indoors as much as possible and use a mask when attempting to go outside. Remember it is not just ash from the woods that is burning in the atmosphere it will be also the chemicals and contaminates released which will cause you the most significant harm. Blessings and have a safe night.

Also remember we are here with you and support your recovery.

[edit on 24-10-2007 by antar]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Just wanted to *bump* this back up one more time for any members that may be looking for some information or services. Know this that you are in our thoughts and prayers and there are more people than you will ever know pulling for you and your safety. Blessings and protection.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I have had a migraine headache for 2 days and finally got it together to come on the forum to find out what our members are saying about the Major Crisis on the California coast. NOthing on the front page about it! I am shocked and amazed that we are not hot on this story which is the single most devestating event of my life time! My question is this, are we headed to martial law? I think it is very very possible. I have been in tears and am now glued to my phone for family members in the line of the fires and wait patiently for the final blow from the Government to take the initave and declare Martial Law. In closing my heart goes out broken to all of the people affected by this catastrophy of monumental proportions.

The only reason this is a "Major Crisis" is the hyper-inflated housing cost lost in these fires..What were the last reports, 1000 homes up in blaze? Out of how many in CA? That is hardly concern for Martial Law to be declared. If anything, a cerfew might be declared in the local area, simular to N.O. during Katrina (Which had 100x more homes destroyed).

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wifiman

Easy to say now that the winds are dying down. The unseen potentials of the first 48 hours of this catastrophic event held all of the potential for Martial Law to be declared. The area affected is comprised of a very large mix of socioeconomic groups. If the same bungle of communication and response times were to have happened as in NO it is most assured that it would have been necessary to call it for that area. I agree there will be a need in the coming days to at least call for a curfew in designated areas to aid the police and security in keeping the peace and to reduce the possibility of high crime potential. As I have said before in this thread , I have concerns and fears about the mixing of seemingly higher echelon of peoples with illegal immigrants and street people as well as welfare parasites. Growing up I was a Huntington Beach local girl and even back in the 70's there were tensions most people could not imagine between the typical California types and the mexicans. We hired mexicans as house keepers and were happy with their friendship. I am not predigest, just aware of the potential for the lower class to stereotype certain blond blue eyed people. In the 70's we kept them at bay, but if you were caught alone at night even the slightest bit inland it was very dangerous. Now the locals are way out numbered. The locals don't even resemble the locals of the 70's. Just because the white people look a certain way or have worked hard to live in decent homes does not make them immune to being vulnerable in these situations. Often in order to live in the better homes they live so close to the edge, that to be able to stay in a hotel for days would be impossible. Not just the white people are in peril in this situation, all people that are less than street wise. Think of your grandma or sister or mom or daughter out there fending to protect themselves after the sun goes down. It is a scary situation at best. I especially feel for the elderly and the young. I have not even turned on the news this am because this would be the time when the spin begins to be thrown around full force.

[edit on 25-10-2007 by antar]

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
antar,

We are starting to get some smoke from the California fires now, because the winds changed. Below is a photo taken this evening of the sun going down in the west. The smoke from the California fires caused the sun to appear pink.

The photo below is the moon rising from the east this evening just shortly, after the sun went down.

I thought you might find this interesting.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainStar

You know what's really amazing? It's that even though we're amidst some of the most damaging fires in recent years, that there seems to still be time to sit back and admire a picture of beauty in nature. Those pictures are beautiful.

It is what it is, a work of art.

TheBorg

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Thank-you TheBorg

Couldn't avoid the highlines in the pink sun photo tho.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I thought you might find this interesting.

Loved the photos, thanks. Reminds me of the sunset here a couple of days ago.

On an upbeat note...It's pissing here in Long Beach now, perhaps the fires will get some.

[edit on 27-10-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I live in San Diego - fortunately not in an area that was threatened.

I have to say what went unsaid here - perhaps only because most posters are not from the area, and didn't truly follow what was going on, and don't have a memory of the 2003 fires.

- The fires in 2003 and the recent ones were of similar size.

- apx. 10 times as many people were evacuated this year as in 2003

- apx. 1/10 the number of people died in these fires as in 2003

(Do you see a correlation here?)

This was a triumph in planning, execution, and technology at the local level. Reverse-911 systems at both the county and city level which did not exist in 2003 were largely responsible for the largest evacuation in U.S. history. And it was carried out in an orderly, efficient manner.

Was the evacuation overkill? Would you have 20 people give-up their lives to avoid some inconvenience on the part of others?

The fact is, the fires were out of control, and you could not predict precisely where they would go and when. People were evaculated 24+ hours in advance of potential danger, and that helped avoid loss of life.

FEMA wasn't needed. Certainly, their financial assistance will now be appreciated by those affected by the fires. But the basic needs were met by local efforts. They had to turn away donations at many of the evacuation sites, because they were overflowing with locally-donated goods.

Certainly, some mistakes were made:

- CalFire's inexcusable refusal to allow military planes to be used unless accompanied by a Calfire spotter in the plane. Calfire has only 38 individuals trained as spotters to accompany military planes. All are batallion chiefs who would have had to have been taken off the ground.

- Sniping by San Diego County Supervisor (and ex San Diego City councilman) Ron Roberts at the City of San Diego for installing a "redundant" reverse-911 system, when "they could have used the county system for free". Whether a legitimate complaint or not, it was not the time to complain.

- The botched FEMA press conference, where the "press" who asked questions were all FEMA employees.

- Failure of a number of key websites which were ill-prepared for the load of an emergency. These included the San Diego Union-Tribune, California Office of Emergency Preparedness, parts of the City of San Diego website. This was inexcusable, as the technology is readily available (Akami, even free services such as Coral Cache) to deal with extraordinary loads. These sites didn't plan ahead. The Union-Tribine eventually added 7 new servers, and started using a Google (BlogSpot) blog to offload some of the load. Quick thinking, but should have been advance thinking.

- A bit too much dependence on the reverse-911 system. I think at the beginning, most people didn't even know it existed. But it got plenty of publicity - perhaps too much. People waited to evacuate, saying "I haven't gotten the call yet." Some people didn't simply because they had unlisted numbers, or only a cell phone, and didn't know to register their number on the city's website. Fortunately, there wasn't extensive loss of life, as people who waited were able to get out quickly, because most had already evacuated and roads were clear.

- Many at Qualcomm Stadium were apparently not evacuees, but perhaps homeless people or just there for the party atmosphere. (Definitely nothing like Katrina!) When they started asking for ID, the 10,000 crowd suddenly shrunk to 1500.

All in all, though, the plusses outweighed the minuses. Really extraordinarily handled.

The comparisons with Katrina are unfair, though. You can't compare the utter devastation of that flood, with loss of all infrastructure, with these fires.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Many people can't afford fire insurance in So. Calif. Also, housing is excessively expensive so you take what you can get.

I'll give the same perspective that I've given to those in the sub-prime housing market:

If you can't afford it, you probably should not be buying it.

The insurance is high for a reason -- stuff there shakes, burns, washes away, etc. The way that insurance works is that the threat of [calamity] happening is shared by all, but more is shared by those where [calamity] is more likely to happen.

If you can't afford to buy the house, don't buy it. If it shakes, burns, washes away and you could not afford to buy the insurance, don't expect sympathy from me..

*SIGH*

Enough of a rant.

The CA wildfires are actually the topic of our Sunday school lesson today (from "the wired word", www.thewiredword.com...). Pretty interesting when you put the fires up against "what should we as Christians do".

[and before anyone flames me, I'm a firefighter (18 yrs) and a Red Cross Disaster Volunteer (4 years). My lack of sympathy for those burned out is NOT linked in any way to my compassion for them]

K.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Well it has been over a week now since the first fires began to rage through the California coast in what turned out to be one of the most intense emergencies California has ever experienced. For many the battle has just begun and for others the fears and relief of returning to their homes has become a reality. Here is a very good video in my opinion that touches on the situation currently and of the people who are still affected by the displacement of the crisis. I loved what the Firefighter had to say in the beginning, and I hope you enjoy this video as much as I do.

www.liveleak.com...

[edit on 30-10-2007 by antar]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
There isn't going to be any place that is safe in America anymore from fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, New World Order, Zionists, etc. I would stay and fight.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Sorry antar I did not respond to this post but I’ve been thinking, look at this:

KBR's Convenient Contract --KBR is awarded a $75 million U.S. Army Corps contract to provide emergency power to Western states --days before a wildfire sweeps California, 'threatening the power of the city of Los Angeles.' By Lori Price 16 Nov 2008 Now, that's what I call a coincidence!
www.legitgov.org...

KBR, Inc. (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) NYSE: KBR is an American engineering and construction company, formerly a subsidiary of Halliburton, based in Houston. After Halliburton acquired Dresser Industries in 1998, Dresser's engineering subsidiary, The M. W. Kellogg Co., was merged with Halliburton's construction subsidiary, Brown & Root, to form Kellogg Brown & Root. KBR and its predecessors have won many contracts with the U.S. military during the 2003 invasion of Iraq, as well as during World War II and the Vietnam War.
en.wikipedia.org...

i am sure you are aware any thread with even a threat of truth is instantly killed.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join