It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(SSSC) Salvage Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
[The following is a transcript of writings presented to the Senate of the Dominion on the afternoon of the 15th day of Second Light. All irrelevant information has been excluded.]

[Entry One]
My name is Daniel M. Franklin and I’ve been staring at that shadow in the corner all day. There is something there, there has to be. But it won’t move. The things cannot be so still can they? What about the sounds, though? It’s sickening, the slurping [illegible] stand it!

Well, I guess I’m an idiot. The shadow was just that, a shadow. I threw myself at the corner, and came back with bent fingers and a nasty bump on my head. #! I just remembered to take my pills, I can’t remember when I last took them, but there are none left. I hate the trip to the pharmacist. But the Risperdal works a lot better than the Haldol I used to take. Take a deep breath, and I’m off.

[Entry Two]
Oh, no. I’m back. I didn’t think I was going to make it. I saw those things everywhere I looked. I saw the pharmacist behind the counter, in his pure white coat. He smiled at me when I walked in. I thought it was okay. I walked up to him, and then I saw, oh God, what am I going to do? His face, his coat. His skin drooped down; there was a hole in his head. I could see right through to the other side! His white coat was not white at all, it was brown with dirt or #, I don’t know which, and red with blood. Rips had shred it into a mockery of his assumed stillness. There was violence in his eyes. His mouth opened, maybe to speak, but before he had the chance I lashed out at him with my fist. The flesh was soft on his face, and I felt bones snap. Then I was gone. The situation is getting worse. I should explain. I first noticed them a couple months ago, at my old place in Toronto. They were grotesque. I would see them around a corner, or in the distance. They stammered and swayed while they walked, always on the verge of tipping over. My theory is that they are the living dead. I’ve seen the movies, heard the rumors. Voodoo curse or radiation, whatever it is, the dead now walk the earth. And it’s getting worse. I had enough when I noticed my neighbor, Ms. Clement had turned. I had to get out of there, and having no car, I thumbed all the way out here to this small town. Took me about three days to get here, and I thought I was safe. But those abominations have reached me. I can no longer leave my apartment without seeing dozens of them; I haven’t left here except for that trip to the pharmacist since I noticed they had reached here too. If I had went earlier, maybe I would’ve gotten my pills, damnit. I need to be lucid if I’m going to survive these things. I have plenty of food. My mother is into preservatives and she has given me many over the years. The water is still on, although I don’t know how long that will last. I need those damn pills. I have to come up with a plan. Tomorrow, I’m tired.

[Entry Three]
I couldn’t sleep much last night. They’ve gotten into the building. I heard them coming down the hall, sounded like a lot of them. There is a fake floor here, under my bed in my room. When I heard them coming, I hid in it. They pounded on the door for a couple of minutes, making quiet noises, then shouting, before it gave into the pressure. I heard them walking through my apartment, the living room, the kitchen, my bedroom. But I stayed hidden. They rummaged through my things, mumbling as they did. Then after a while they left. I didn’t come out of my hiding place right away because I was too scared. I had to make sure they were gone. I’m sure now. I did come up with a plan to get my pills though. It’s not a very well devised one, but some times there is a beauty in simplicity. My old ball bat is in my closet at the door. I’m going to get my pills now.

[Entry Four]
Okay, everything is going to be okay. I got all the Risperdal they had. Four full prescriptions, it looks like. But what a journey. I took the bat from my closet, and walked out of my room. There was no one around; actually I didn’t see anyone at all until I reached the street. But once outside, they were everywhere. They covered the sidewalks, lurching forward. Those disgusting … things. There was one close to me, facing the street. I hit it first, right in the back of the head. I felt its skull cave in on impact, and it dropped. Then immediately there was a huge commotion. The things started darting every which way; I had never seen them move so fast. Some flashed across the street away from me, I had no problem with that. But others came right at me, shouting in their muttered voices, things I couldn’t understand. I swung wildly, bashing only their skulls. The more I dropped, the more they ran from me, until I had a clear walk to the pharmacy. I ran, those things parting in front of me as I went, their piercing shrieks, parading my route. I burst hard through the glass doors of the entrance; I didn’t want to waste time. I saw the pharmacist, still behind the counter. His mangled features the same as before, except something else. His expression was pronounced, fear or hate I couldn’t tell and a piece of cloth covered part of its face. I didn’t think about it. My bat reached across the counter, and struck it directly behind its ear [illegible], I think that one broke the neck and base of the skull. Hurriedly I leapt the counter and started emptying the dispenser. It was clearly labeled. Those white pills filled my pockets. ‘JANSSEN’ on one side and ‘R1’ on the other.

[Final Entry]
What a relief. I took my dosage right there on the spot, before I split. I’m feeling clearer now. I can see plainly through the shadow in the corner now, to the wall behind it. What was that? Oh, no. I think they’re back.

[End of Transcript]

[The following is a transcript of the newly discovered audio recording presented to the Senate of the Dominion on the morning of the 271st day of Second Light]

Woman: This is a very serious crime.

Man: Yes, I understand the charge, but they were not people. They were monsters, the living dead.

Woman: Sir, I am aware of your psychological history. I will bring in a psychiatrist to explain what you have been through. Hopefully you will understand the severity of your actions and you will be able to get better. Until then you will be kept here. The institution specializes in the treatment you require. Just let me give you your identification tag and …

Man: Yes, but, but [sounds of scuffling] please, no [sounds of scuffling]

[End of Transcript]

________________________________________ ______________________________

“I do not see how this is relevant.” The magistrate sounded off on the senate. “This is an abandoned or dead world. Salvage laws leave it open to be colonized.” To which the first seat responded.

“The case presented may offer a reason,” the first seat of the senate always spoke first. “Why this world is either abandoned or dead.”

“Put it to a vote, chair.”

“Yes, we will vote. All in favor of phase one colonization?” Chairs around the senate chamber emptied as senators deserted their comfort to stand. “As the senate votes, so will it be done. Begin initial phase.” The first seat of the senate was bound by the vote to act. Assistants scurried out of the chamber to inform the colony teams of their new mission.

The Alpha team was well trained to do the job they were given, each member, hand picked from the relevant departments of the academy. They were geologists, sociologists, scientists, salvage experts and level one laborers. All of them were once at the top of their class, and most had been on many phase one salvage missions before.

Arion was a gruff looking male. He salvaged many of the toughest planets, and as senior expert, he was in charge.

“Geo’s,” Arion bellowed. “Our prelim scans have shown stable crust pressure and plate structure. Shouldn’t give you too much trouble, start drilling.” One of the jobs of any Alpha team was to drill for core samples. On some planets, this practice could prove very dangerous. Today, though, they were drilling a soft planet, with stable geology. The danger was minimal.

Before Arion could continue his orders, he spotted a shadow in the distance, in front of the dead city’s alien cityscape. “Hold!” The workers, startled, turned to look at their boss.

“I need vision enhancement on X-14, Y-39.” A nameless scientist handed the man a contraption he was going to use later as a survey tool for the planet’s landscape.

Arion peered through the small eye slots, what he saw caused his stomach to turn. There would be no salvage here. This planet was not abandoned. Small shadows of bipedal beings could be seen coming towards the team.

“#.” He muttered to himself. At that time, screams from behind him caused his neck muscles to clench and whip his head around. What he saw was horrifying.

A lone biped was tearing a geologist apart. What looked like intestines spilled out from the man’s belly. The biped slammed his head into the wound he opened with his hands in the geologist’s midsection and appeared to be feeding.

“To the ship, men! Everyone, evacuate.” Arion did not care who made out his instructions through the chaos; salvage law is very specific in situations like this. Save whom you can and leave.

As the ship doors closed, Arion had only a glimpse at what looked to be an identification label on the biped’s shirt. It read Franklin.

“It would seem our assumptions were incorrect. We may be liable for retribution from the union.” Once again the first seat addressed the senate.

The magistrate responded, “We will be safe, our life scan readings came back with only vegetation and sea life. The union has no reason to investigate further.”

“I hope you are right.” The first seat paused, and continued. “Internal investigation commences with the calling of salvage supervisor, Arion Stalmage. Please step forward.”

“Seat, Sir Arion will not be able to comply with your order due to him being injured at the scene and currently incapacitated in the infirmary. I am told it does not look good.”

The assistant spoke on behalf of the Alpha team. Arion was the lone survivor; those who made it to the ship died on route and the others were either killed outright or abandoned.

“Sir,” the attendant added. “We may have a problem. The infirmary has gone offline, and I am getting reports that the entire port sector is under siege. It would seem we brought something back with us.”

The door to the senate chamber exploded into splintered shards of tinted glass from the smashed doors. Some recognizable faces shambled into the senate chamber; distorted features clambered forward and brought down whomever they came across. A look of forlorn regret came over the first seat’s face as he watched the destruction of his senate happen before his eyes.

“Reclamation failed,” he muttered the words for the first time in his life.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well written and put together.

Bloody zombies they get everywhere!

MonKey

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Thanks ChiKey.

I haven't decided what I like about this story and what I don't like yet. I was going for ambiguity at first, but I'm not sure if I pulled it off as well as I could have. But I really like the idea of an alien species getting in over their head on a zombie infested world.

I wonder if I should pick this back up in a few months and try to iron out the failings or if I should try writing it all over again.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

You are over analyzing again...Stop it!
No re-write is needed unless you really feel it is necessary.
Stop being such a perfectionist, and continue with your writing.
This is one of many contests throughout the year....
If you are not happy..work on a new idea...Same story idea maybe,
but let your imagination stretch a little bit further.
Yeah I know, here Iam giving you tips.I know you can handle my criticism.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This post has been rattling in my brain for awhile now.

Finally, I think I've come to a conclusion about what I think of it. I think you are right.

I should stop over analyzing and just let the story flow. sometimes I'm too brutal on myself. I actually think the story works on some very key levels.

Watch for me in the future, I'm going to win one of these things ... Someday

top topics

join