It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Mercury Toxic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I welcome all input to this thread to prove or not prove that Mercury is toxic, even in small amount.

The Follow visual evidence and study is evidence that low levels of Mercury are indeed a nerotoxin and damages brain tissues.

Video and Study by University of Calgary Very Good!

Study by Oklahoma State University on Mercury

Elemental mercury is a liquid and gives off mercury vapor at room temperature. This vapor can be inhaled into the lungs and passed into the blood stream. Elemental mercury can also pass through the skin and into the blood stream. If swallowed, however, this form of mercury is not absorbed out of the stomach, and usually passes out of the body without harm.

Inorganic mercury compounds can also be inhaled and absorbed through the lungs, and may pass through the skin. But the compounds can also be absorbed through the stomach if swallowed. Many inorganic mercury compounds are irritating or corrosive to the skin, eyes and mucus membranes as well.

Organic mercury compounds can enter the body readily through all three routes-lungs, skin and stomach.

ACUTE HEALTH EFFECTS

Very high exposures to mercury vapor in the air can cause acute poisoning. Symptoms usually begin with cough, chest tightness, trouble breathing and upset stomach. This may go on to pneumonia, which can be fatal.

If the inorganic mercury compounds are swallowed, nausea, vomiting diarrhea and severe kidney damage can occur.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Emedicine.com on Mercury Information

Neurologic, gastrointestinal, and renal systems are the most commonly affected organ systems in mercury exposure.

* Organic mercury - Most devastating to the CNS

o Short-chained (methylmercury) - Affects the CNS

o Long-chained - Subacute/chronic effects similar to that of inorganic mercury exposure

* Elemental mercury - Primary neurologic toxicity

* Inorganic mercury salts

o Acute - Severe corrosive gastroenteritis, acute tubular necrosis

o Subacute or chronic - GI, neurologic, and renal dysfunction

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here is another source on information on Mercury.

EPA Page on Mercury

Here is one of my old threads on the Dangers of Amalgam fillings of Mercury in Silver fillings and a great video documentary on the OP.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19-10-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yes its toxic, which is why we don’t use it in thermometers anymore.
It was a hazmat deal if we had any spill when I worked in the hospital.

Mercury
Mercury and most of its compounds are extremely toxic and are generally handled with care; in cases of spills involving mercury (such as from certain thermometers or fluorescent light bulbs) specific cleaning instructions should be used to avoid toxic exposure.[22] It can be inhaled and absorbed through the skin and mucous membrane, so containers of mercury are securely sealed to avoid spills and evaporation. Heating of mercury, or compounds of mercury that may decompose when heated, should always be carried out with adequate ventilation in order to avoid exposure to mercury vapor. The most toxic forms of mercury are its organic compounds, such as methylmercury.

Mercury Poisening
Mercury poisoning (also known as mercurialism or hydrargyria, or acrodynia when affecting children) is a disease caused by exposure to mercury or its toxic compounds. Mercury is a cumulative heavy metal poison which occurs in its elemental form, inorganically as salts, or organically as organomercury compounds; the three groups vary in effects due to differences in their absorption and metabolism, among other factors.[1] However, with sufficient exposure all mercury-based toxins damage the central nervous system and other organs or organ systems such as the liver or gastrointestinal tract.
Symptoms typically include sensory impairment (vision, hearing, speech), disturbed sensation and a lack of coordination. The type and degree of symptoms exhibited depend up on the individual toxin, the dose, and the method and duration of exposure.
Due to its toxicity, there have been campaigns in many countries to ban mercury altogether.

I never thought there was any question as the toxicity of mercury, so I am not sure where you are heading with this?

[edit on 10/19/2007 by defcon5]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Apparently it isn't toxic for republican babies. George wouldn't allow them to be poisoned! He vetoed legislation to remove mercury from vaccines. If you need proof you should just ask the president. You have to be smart to be president.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thimerosal is ethyl mercury.

Not methyl mercury.

There's a big difference.

Like ethanol and methanol.

edit:
Grant you, I don't look at it like drinking spring water or something, myself.

You'd think they would have better preservatives than that.

[edit on 19-10-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
www.whale.to...

I think that the biological case against Thimerosal is so dramatically overwhelming anymore that only a very foolish or a very dishonest person with the credentials to understand this research would say that Thimerosal wasn’t most likely the cause of autism.---Interview of Dr. Boyd E. Haley by Teri Small:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
When we were kids, we used to think that it was fun to play with mercury.

We'd pick it up and play with it in our hands. I can't see that I lost too many brain cells from that experience.

Oh shoot, I drooled on my keyboard again. _javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hi, I'm no expert but I've always considered it true that exposure to mercury can make you go insane. I believe the charactor "the Mad Hatter" was loosely based off the fact many people who worked with mercury were reported to "go mad". On the flip side Mercury seemed to be of value to some ancient cultures and Olde World Alchemists. Maybe exposure to mercury causes hallucinations.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
But remember your chemistry, kids!

Chlorine alone is a deadly poison. But add sodium and you’ve got something much safer that tastes great on french fries.

new topics

top topics

join