It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion and Technology...could we do without it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Ok first of im not here to start fights, cause arguments im simply putting my opinion forward and would like possitive opinions from people, you dont have to agree with what i say or even read it!

Religion:

I have been thinking about this loads and i feel religion causes some of the problems on this world....now dont get me wrong i am a man in the middle i dont believe there is a god (or whatever you may call it) and i dont beleive there isnt! i simply believe there is something out there but everyone has a different interpritation of it!

I know this is easier said than done but wouldnt the world be a better place if everyone just came to the terms that they believe in what they believe and others have there beliefs?? i mean why should a person have a right to a belief if he can not allow a fellow man/women to have theres?

Religion causes alot of wars around the world! and that only leads to the death of many innocent people! But religion also brings people together so im not saying its bad altogether!

Technology:

Now im a big lover of technology...i love to get onto the computer and enjoy all the computer games that nintendo,playstaion,pc etc have to offer and i use technology all the time! who dosn't? but technology is going to be the downfall of us....or should i say "is" the down fall of us? i hear alot of people saying that technology will save us bla bla bla but isnt it one of the reasons we have become such a lazy, brutal, selfish race?

before technology we were a more peacful race (so i assume), we would kill an animal but use everypart of the animal to help us survive, were as now that animal is one of countless that is slaughtered in heriffic ways! we "RESPECTED" one anouther and the planet we live on! What im getting at is that because of technology we have lost our way and forgot what it is to survive and live co and co with one anouther!

Think if all technology just dissapeared, what would you do? how would you survive? i have a feeling many would be lost and wouldnt have the slightest idea where to begin and what effect would this have on the people on the world? The saying "dog eat dog" stands out more than ever in this situation!

So Religion and technology, could we do without it? I think we could!

If you managed to get through that without getting bored than i applaud you
please feel free to comment back, im really interested to here all of your opinions!

[edit on 5-10-2007 by The-Brown-One]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I don't think you have a very clear idea of what life was like before modern technology! ;-p

General mortality was much higher, as was violent death. Life expectancy was much shorter and the vast majority of diseases had no effective treatment. The overal population was much less, so to go back to a primitive state would mean reducing the Earth's population hugely. The list goes on...

Sure we could *survive* without technology, in the sense that some of the human race would survive, but the vast majority of us would die and those that were left would have "nasty brutish and short" lives working all day every day just to survive.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Pretty simple imo.

Religion - yes.
Technology - no.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by safoxmulder
Pretty simple imo.

Religion - yes.
Technology - no.

I concur

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Of course we could and can survive without religion, many do so every day. As far as saying that religion is the cause of many problems... wouldnt it be more accurate to say that the people of such religion are the ones to cause the problems?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
While I feel that people are entitled to believe whatever they want (after all, no one knows whats really going on, no one), I do agree that the world would be a much better place without religion as people have a tendancy to abuse it and use it as an excuse to commit horrible acts aginst their fellow humans. Technology doesn't get off easy either as although it has made modern life much better for those 'lucky' enough to live in developed nations (sanitation, antibiotics, information tech, manufacturing etc), as with religion there seem to be those who will abuse it for morally derelict reasons.

Sadly, in my opinion, there can be no resolution to problems as vast as these. There will always be people who can't see the beauty in the world or appreciate that every other person is as valuable and valid as the next.

Look at communism, an awesome idea, but in practice, those who have the means to abuse it do and it falls apart. Without people these things would be perfect but they also would not exist in the first place.

Its all about balance.

new topics

top topics

join