It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 out of 14 Air Fresheners are Toxic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Here we go again... I have always known (or at least suspected) that air fresheners are toxic. Everything you buy that is not labeled as organic is likely to be toxic because they all contain chemicals.

I think that the U.S. health issues may be on the upturn because these grassroots health organizations on the net are exposing the dangers of the food and products that we use. The FDA can only lie for so long. Eventually the truth comes out.

Here's the lowdown on this one:

A test of air freshener products recently conducted by the Natural Resources Defense Council found that 12 out of 14 popular air freshener products contained a chemical known to be harmful to the health of humans. Phthalates, known to cause reproductive problems and hormone disruption in humans, were found in virtually all air freshener brands, including several Walgreens-branded air fresheners that the popular retailer has now pulled off its shelves.

Neither the FDA nor the EPA conducts any safety testing or spot checking of toxic chemicals in air freshener products. Essentially, consumers could be exposed to any number of toxic airborne chemicals from air freshener products, with no warning whatsoever. The safety of chemicals used in these products is utterly ignored by the FDA in much the same way that perfumes and cosmetic products containing cancer-causing chemicals are routinely ignored by the agency. The FDA makes virtually no effort to protect American consumers from cancer-causing or hormone-disrupting chemicals in tens of thousands of consumer products, and were it not for the efforts of consumer advocacy groups and environmental protection groups like the NRDC, no one would be protecting consumers at all. (U.S. government agencies usually have to be sued by groups like the CSPI or Public Citizen before they will take any pro-consumer action...)

Source: Consumer alert: Popular air fresheners found to contain toxic chemical

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Not only air fresheners, but scented candles contain all sorts of nasty chemicals.

I prefer the scent of fresh air over chem laden, perfumed, death clouds. Toxic waste is not just for breakfast anymore.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
nice. it's a shame i hate incense. maybe to get that fresh linen scent, I'll just have to start doing more laundry

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
nice. it's a shame i hate incense. maybe to get that fresh linen scent, I'll just have to start doing more laundry

Laundry detergents and dryer sheets contain chemicals and are also unsafe (unless you're using organic products).

Here's an article:
Highly toxic chemicals are found in laundry detergents, dryer sheets, deodorants, perfumes, soaps and other household products

Go organic with EVERYTHING that you use or eat.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
It amazes me that when I visit relatives and friends, my nose is almost always assaulted by air-fresheners. At my mom's house she literally had twelve in an area of about 1500 sq. ft. The instructions said one per every 300 square feet! I thought I would pass out with all of the anti-odor fumes! How ironic!

People have no idea what they are doing to themselves and their children -born and unborn. Right now on the board there are at least two threads about Autism. I say clear your house of all of the chemicals you possible can, in an environmentally safe way of course.

Pretty much, if it says "harmful or fatal if swallowed"...you wouldn't want to sniff it, wear it, bathe in it or use it anywhere in your house. A recent study showed that the air quality of most homes is more dangerous than that of the average city at rush hour.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
My rule of thumb... if it's not organic... don't buy it. Here is a good website that talks about the onslaught of chemicals they forced on us over a hundred years ago and how they've sickened the population:

www.hundredyearlie.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
My rule of thumb... if it's not organic... don't buy it.

Do you understand the actual definition of "organic". There is a whole field called organic chemistry just as there is inorganic chemistry....

If I synthesize the exact same molecule in a lab that gives a banana it's scent how is that any different than the molecule in the actual banana..?? I'll let you in on a little secret - molecules are molecules - it does not matter whether it came from natures kitchen or the chem lab - same molecule, same thing. The human body responds in exactly the same way to both - usually by breaking things down to smaller molecules or to the basic atomic constituents - H, C, N, O, and a few others....

No trying to rain on your parade/crusade, but it helps to have that basic understanding. Yes there can and are bad things, usually used as carriers and binders but things like scents and flavors are easily and safely created in any lab and many are exactly the same thing that nature cooks up....

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Whatever.

I don't eat processed food that contain chemicals like MSG, aspartame, and hydrogenated anything. And I don't use products that contain poisonous chemicals.

It's really that simple.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I believe this. I cannot handle the smell or fumes of that stuff in my home. I have an air purifier that makes the house smell like a rainforest. Seriously I think that stuff is poison...

new topics

top topics

join