It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kathy Griffin tells Jesus to "Suck it!"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Griffin, at the 59th annual Creative Arts Emmy Awards held recently, was honored for having the Outstanding Reality Program, overtaking ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" after several attempts.

"I guess hell froze over," Griffin announced. "A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this. He had nothing to do with this. ... Suck it, Jesus! This award is my god now."
source

I call for a complete boycott of this woman and her vile brand of humor.

Where is the outrage? Where is the response from this nation's religious leaders?

As a Christian, I am called to forgive. I won't forget, though.

Truly, she has her reward.

[edit on 13-9-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I've never found her funny at all. Maybe if she stopped running her yapper all the time she could get a man.

On topic: people with dwindling careers often do things like this to get their names back in the press.

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I never really thought she was funny either... now she is even less funny. i can only hope that she mis read the teleprompter. The joke does not even have a humorous context that i could catch.. maybe she is looking for a new demographic. i am not sure there is one to match it perhaps not even atheists would appreciate that type of humor. anyway she could still call Britney Spears agent i doubt they will be representing brit much longer a spot might come open soon..

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I've never found her funny at all. Maybe if she stopped running her yapper all the time she could get a man.

Peace

I thought she was into the ladies?
I may not be a christian but there are some things you just shouldnt say.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I've heard Christians make jokes about non-believers all my life. I don't know what's so offensive about this. Anyway, she spoke to One who, supposedly, can very well take care of Himself, and her. So what's the reason to be concerned. She spoke, free speech and all of that, in the US of A. Who cares? Sounds just like some media hype to me, and of course they have to throw Muslims in the mix, who of course couldn't care less than even the atheists. Anyway, the Evangelicals in my family wouldn't even bat an eye at those comments. As for myself, I think it's silly humor. The walls of Christiandom aren't going to come tumbling down because of it. Just more media promotional tactics.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

I am not offended by her remark and am actually amused at her speech.

I usually smurk when award winners thank their God for an accomplishment that they worked hard to get.

You can't thank God for all the happy, good fortunes and privilages bestowed on you but not blame him for the misfortunes and failing as well.
Why is this one sided?

Thank yourself for working hard to accomplish your rewards.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Isn't she Jewish?!? She looks Jewish... does that make it worse or better? I don't know

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
There'll be burning effergies of her from Long Beach to Long Island. The pope will call out Holy War. The Christian compounds will send out their suicide bombers...or maybe not. Loosen up, it's just bad comedy.

Also, who is Kathy Griffin?

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subcomandante

Also, who is Kathy Griffin?

Nice goin (sorry for the 1 liner)

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
She is reported to have commented on the E! Network removing what she said from the broadcast of the event, "Am I the only Catholic left with a sense of humor?"

Apparently she hasn't been a practicing Catholic for a long time.

It is much worse than bad comedy or silly humor, imo.

We can thank God for the inspiration He provides through the Holy Spirit, and for the direction He provides when we stray from the narrow path. It is not one-sided unless you perceive it that way.

The I of the id and ego is the great stumbling block of mankind. Keep leaning on your own understanding and see how far you get spiritually.

The "walls of Christiandom"? What does that mean? There are no walls at this time, and there won't be until New Jerusalem descends from the heavens.

Revelation 22

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

That is no joke about non-believers, that is truth or consequences for all mankind.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
i dont think shes funny at all...

but this quote is pure comedy, and it's even better judging by how much offense people are taking from it.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I just hope you think it is this funny when someone insults your core beliefs and tells whatever you believe and place your hope for eternal life in to suck it.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
The "walls of Christiandom"? What does that mean? There are no walls at this time, and there won't be until New Jerusalem descends from the heavens.

I guess it depends on one's point of view. Speaking for myself, from my own point of view, there are plenty walls that are up in Christiandom that need to come down. Those who are within do no have a clear view of what's outside, and those from without do not have a clear view of what's inside. Views in all directions obscured by invisible walls. The point is that if there are in fact no walls, then something like a silly joke should have an easy time of passing through without resistance. No conflict should arise and no offense should be taken. Anyway, my point is that the media wants Christians to be offended so that the media can continue its program of appealing to the baser instincts of human beings. More outrage and more offended people mean more ratings and more advertising dollars for the media.

Notice how Bill Donohue, president of Catholic League, uses this event to prop Christians up over Muslims, thereby causing more conflict. Muslims had nothing to do with this and yet Donahue couldn't resist the opportunity to put Muslims down.

You have your own unique point of view. I have my own. Minding our own means there is no conflict. It is better for us both to not let the media provoke us to conflict.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

my point is that the media wants Christians to be offended so that the media can continue its program of appealing to the baser instincts of human beings. More outrage and more offended people mean more ratings and more advertising dollars for the media.

This is a great point. I apologize for misinterpreting your earlier post, and I thank you for providing the clarification above. Really a great point of view. I fell into the very trap you illustrate in your post.

I have to agree with you that there are elements of Christianity, and secular society, as well, that seek to isolate believers from unbelievers and promote conflict between them. Imo, this is not the intent nor the objective of Christ's teachings. I refer you to the Bible and the parable of the wheat and the tares for His stance on the matter. Christianity is meant to be inclusive, not exclusive. We are all sinners, and none is good, save God Himself.

Thank you again for your well considered and measured response. Sometimes I get so caught up in defending the faith that I fail to see when someone is just pulling my chain for the fun, or profit, of it.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If she is indeed a Lesbian, then I can probably tell you that that comment was out of anger.

But, seriously, big whoop. Jesus is pretty overrated nowadays...

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The only real difference between god and the Easter Bunny is god got a better book deal, F god!

Seriously you guys who are so praise god oriented and so easily offended by anyone who says anything contrary to your beliefs should respect the fact that others believe differently.

I usually respect the fact that many people feel the need to believe in God and can't see beyond any other way of thinking, ( not shocking when you consider the fact that the big lie is told to you from the minute your brain can comprehend anything), but that does not make him sacred to others, your beliefs are just that, your beliefs. That does not make him real except to you, to me and many others he is equal to santa and the easter bunny.

Griffin has her own reality show, divorced her husband a few years back and is not a lesbian so far as I know.

[edit on 13-9-2007 by goose]

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I just hope you think it is this funny when someone insults your core beliefs and tells whatever you believe and place your hope for eternal life in to suck it.

i bet you she said this to get a reaction out of people... it's working.

you can't let these types of things anger you because thats exactly why people say them

if someone bashed me and my reliefs you think i'm going to let someones ignorance get to me? not a chance

take it easy, don't let ignorant statements like these offend you because thats the reason people say them

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen

I seriously doubt that he is anymore over rated that Malcolm X or Martin Luther King, or any other modern day "hero" you can think of. :shk:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I say, good for her! It's nice that an atheist in the public eye is making noise about her non-belief in the god delusion.

it's America, people. She has a right to say what she likes about mythical Jesus, or any other fairy tale.

Go, Kathy!

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by Kacen

I seriously doubt that he is anymore over rated that Malcolm X or Martin Luther King, or any other modern day "hero" you can think of. :shk:

He is.

His fan base has been around A LOT longer, and to be honest, while this was never his intention, he inadvertently caused a lot of murder and injustices, although way after his death.

Granted, that wasn't Christianity being practiced correctly anymore than Al Qaeda is practicing true Islam, but still.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join