It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Hazards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Just received this via email.

This was also on Pittsburgh 's WTAE
> channel 4 News.
>
> Never, ever answer a cell phone while it is being
> CHARGED!!
>
> A few days ago, a person was recharging his cell
> phone at home. Just at that time a call came and he
> answered it with the instrument still connected to
> the outlet. After a few seconds electricity flowed
> into the cell phone unrestrained and the young man
> was thrown to the ground with a heavy thud. His
> parents rushed to the room only to find him
> unconscious, with a weak heartbeat and burnt
> fingers. He was rushed to the nearby hospital, but
> was pronounced dead on arrival. Cell phones are a
> very useful modern invention. However, we must be
> aware that it can also be an instrument of death.
>
> Never use the cell phone while it is hooked to the
> electrical outlet!

Whats the validity of this argument? Has anyone tried it or going to try it? And does the reasoning apply to all cell phones plugged in to the outlet.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I just got a Motorola Nextel flip phone with the walkie talkie and after 3 minutes on it it gets HOT. I have to hang up and let it cool off

That also worries me.

Thanks for the above story- i always talk with my phone recharging.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Check out snopes, it's not what it seems.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
But wouldn't the electricity coming from the outlet (apparently) not be strong enough to knock him out, much less kill him? When I was about 5 and i was plugging christmas tree lights in at night, I got shocked. It didn't really do anything though. Just hurt a lot.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My phone recharges via either the 12V from the car or the USB power from my computer.
I use it a lot when its charging too and never had a problem

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm finding this claim hard to believe. Firstly I've talked on the phone numerous times while it's being charged, different phone make and models at that. Secondly, how dangerous is a 4.5V 500mA electric current? That's what most phone chargers output to the phone.

I think this is just another one of those urban legend spam mails circulating around the internet.

Edit: typo

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I have a motarola razor and on the back of the charger it reads, input: 100 - 240 V, output 5V. 240V is enough to throw you back, well im 70% sure it is. Wouldnt the electricity run out through the phone weather connected or not ?

Take Care, Vix

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
One possibility I can think of is if the transformer in the charger blew or short circuited and sent AC 240V through the charging wire. Then it would be a defect with the charger, and a good reason not to by generic/fake chargers. I only use original chargers, for fear of this possibility.

Otherwise the output would just be a mild 4.5-5.5V DC ~500mA current, hardly life threatening. Hardly painful in fact. 12V, yeah that one can sting, a bit.

Edit to add: Another reason to use original chargers -- the fake ones can damage your phone. An old Nokia 3310 (the really hardy old model, remember those?) was rendered kaput because the transformer messed up or something. I could see sparks coming out the jack when I unplugged. What a waste of a tough phone...

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The types of power supplies for appliances where there's exposed metal or a chance of contact with it, like on your cell phone, are what we call "isolated", that is, there's generally a transformer between the wall power and the output, and there is no direct link at all.

There's a way to do really low powered ones using capacitors but probably not applicable in this case.

This isolation keeps you from getting wall power in your ear.

Even if the unit was defective, and they generally make you design so that that's monstrously unlikely to happen, you'd have to:

1) have the power supply unit fail in such a way that the output is live with respect to ground/neutral on the AC input

2) touch metal on the phone that's not isolated (enough)

3) contact ground or neutral with your body somewhere other than the phone

4) generally have something lowering the resistance of your skin, such as being wet.

It's not terrifically likely. I wouldn't spend a second worrying about it.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Most outlets in your home bar your washing/dryer machines and maybe window unit ac's, and fridges are all 120V. This voltage can kill you as it can interupt your heart rythem causing cardiac arrest. The chances are slim, but definately higher if your grounded and the current can move through your body.

Ive been shocked a few times from a 120v and it doesnt throw you, it actually grabs you. Its a nice little shake for sure. I work with electronics all day, and while I guess there is always a chance your phone can short out, it is unlikely. I have also never heard of one blowing up.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Thanks for your info about cell phone, websurfer

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I use my cell phone a lot when plugged in (and I mean a lot) and nothing even remotely like this has happened to me.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aaron_Justin
This voltage can kill you as it can interupt your heart rythem causing cardiac arrest. The chances are slim, but definately higher if your grounded and the current can move through your body.

Always good to hear from those with experience at being repeatedly shocked. Fireman Bob, is that you?

Current is what kills, and though voltage drives the current, that's why we can have demonstrations using a VDG, which is very low amperage.

(0.001 mA -can- kill a sick person, but for healthy people it takes >100mA)

HTH.

top topics

join