It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remote controlled Air Ray.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
www.festo.com...

This video shows what look like a Manta Ray like flying. Pretty cool. Think it may be useful as a UAV?

Like to include some info.

Air_ray, modelled on the manta ray, is a remote-controlled hybrid construction consisting of a helium-filled ballonet and a beating wing drive. Its light design makes it possible for it to “swim” in the sea of air, boosted by helium, in a similar way to the manta ray in water.

Propulsion is achieved by a beating wing drive. The servo drive-controlled wing, which can move up and down, utilises the Fin Ray Effect® and is based on alternate pulling and pushing flanks connected via frames. When pressure is exerted on one flank, the geometrical structure curves automatically against the direction of the influencing force. A servo drive pulls the two flanks alternately in the longitudinal direction, thus moving the wing up and down.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the advantages of having an LAV (lighter than air vehicle) that flaps it's wings as opposed to using a propeller - but the cool factor is definitely there, and you know how those air force generals are... ;-)

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
I'm not sure what the advantages of having an LAV (lighter than air vehicle) that flaps it's wings as opposed to using a propeller - but the cool factor is definitely there, and you know how those air force generals are... ;-)

Aren't air force generals interested in the use of blimps for forseeable future?

Who knows...add a camera and other electronic gear and it can loiter in the air from few thousand feet for days perhaps providing intel for the troops on the ground and pilots in the air.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Exactly, they are interested in long dwell craft that can linger above the target using solar panels and soforth.

In addition, as you've seen they have an underwater version. Imagine painting one just like a real Manta Ray and then using it to sneak into a harbor and get photos of enemy ships.

They've already got versions of nano-RPV tech that flaps wings and looks like a big dragonfly.

So it's similar to a kind of 'stealth in plain view'.

Make a really BIG one and then have it fly over Phoenix just after dusk!

Multiple co-intel uses, plus the unique propulsion, with probably extremely low energy requirements.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
There may not be much of a tactical advantage to this but it sure was sweet looking
They could definately package it nicely and sell it at christmas time as a toy. I might buy one if the price was right

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Wouldn't a strong gust of wind blow it miles off target?

Although, I doubt it can propel itself enough to escape a light breeze looking at that..

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
That's flipping cool.

I so want one. That's about one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Shattered OUT...

new topics

top topics

join