It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beauty of the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Ok, first off I'm not sure where to put it, but I figure here is the best place.

I was just looking at some nebula's, and something hit me, not like an epiphany,
since I already more or less realized this before, but it was one of those moments of
clarity when I really thought about it.

The Universe is one of the most complex and beautiful things, well ever (I've yet
to see what's outside it, so..), from the smallest bioluminescent squid to the massive
stellar nebula's thousands of lightyears in size.

Regardless of what beliefs or disbeliefs one prescribes to, it really is the one thing that
binds us all together, not just in its physicality, but in it's immense beauty and
sheer being on all levels and sizes.

I'm not really sure how to put it into words, so that's the best I can do.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Off topic in my opinion (better in science or space exploration) but I agree.

M81

[edit on 11-8-2007 by DarkSide]

Edn

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I was just looking at some nebula's,
From a picture or with your own eyes?

Nothing can quite describe the beauty of watching the birth of new stars in a glowing nebula thousands of light years away.

Its an endless cycle of violent explosions with the power of a few billion years of the suns energy giving birth to new stars, planets and even living organisms or intelligent life which in turn eventually dies and their stars explode giving birth to a yet another generation of life.

Its kind of peaceful really.

I think this topic could be good here DarkSide, after all the goings on of the universe have been in religion since the beginning of religion, plus it can be quite a spiritual jurney trying to understand you place with all thats going on in the rest of the universe.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It's this vastness of the universe that fuels many Theists, such as myself, to believe that it must have been designed intelligently, or on purpose. That it all had a design .. a plan, a concept.

That like a computer program is written, parameters were set, laws were made into existence, physics was created as an effect of these creations in the physical reality, and they are governed by physics. Physics is like .. God's language. When you talk physics, you are just beginning to pronounce some of the simplest letters in God's holy alphabet of creation.

Edn

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I don't really want to derail the topic but if you have to believe that something such as our universe (which may be one of many) has to have been created because of its complexity then surely by the same logic god(s) must also have been created by something, then begins the never ending cycle of who created the creator. It just doesn't make sense to apply logic to one part of your argument but not the other.

This universe is also pretty much completely random, there is no complete logic to it, theres no plan or concept to it either, if there was you wouldn't have entire galaxy's colliding into each other, or stars possibly wiping out entire civilizations. The physics that may apply here may not apply somewhere else, in fact the physics that apply here don't apply here because they can be bent, twisted and even broken by numerous other theory's and laws.

Is it so hard to believe that we may just exists because we exist. If you believe god(s) exist, always existed and were never created why not say the same for our universe? After all from what we know everything in this universe has always and will always exist in some form of energy or otherwise, why the need for that extra layer?

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
God need not be created because he exists in a place outside of time. If you took yourself in the current state, and were able to remove yourself from the constraints of time as we know it, you'd be immoral. Sure, you wouldve had a point of creation, but thats only because you originally existed in a place governed by time as we know it. Had you not been born into time, you'd have never been born, just an ever changing, ever existing piece of matter.

Therefore there is no past, future, etc. No birthdate. He just.. is. (I AM?)

Edn

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
just an ever changing, ever existing piece of matter.
We, as in you and I and everyone else are already ever changing and ever existing piece of matter and energy. You don't have to be born out of time to be such.

not to mention for matter to exist so must time.

--

This is my favorite object(atm), M45 - the Pleiades Star Cluster, though my 8" light bucket it looks amazing, quite inspiring as well always makes me think about the future, where we may be in a thousand year, how things might have changed.

[edit on 12-8-2007 by Edn]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Edn, you were almost right... time doesn't have to exist for matter to exist. matter seemingly predates the formation of this universe, and thus, time.

Edn

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Edn, you were almost right... time doesn't have to exist for matter to exist. matter seemingly predates the formation of this universe, and thus, time.
Would that be the singularity that existed before the big bang ocured? if that is the case then consider it is only a theory, though the big bang likely ocured we can not know for sure what was before it and if there was a singularity before the big bang that had any physical form it must have time. a singularity can be infinantly small yet, if it exists physically it must have some size therefor some amount time as it will take time even if its an infinantly tiny amount of time for your to circle the singularity.

Of course the singularity could also have been pure energy in which case it would not nessiserally have to have any physical form therefore may not need to have time.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
The universe really is beautiful. The thing I don't understand though, is how man discerns aesthetic from unaesthetic. Beauty is beautiful I suppose.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Would that be the singularity that existed before the big bang ocured? if that is the case then consider it is only a theory, though the big bang likely ocured we can not know for sure what was before it and if there was a singularity before the big bang that had any physical form it must have time.

hence why i said seemingly...

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier
The universe really is beautiful. The thing I don't understand though, is how man discerns aesthetic from unaesthetic. Beauty is beautiful I suppose.

the aesthetic is derived from the subjective. beauty is just a concept, it isn't really something that exists. beauty is what we label something.

new topics

top topics

join