It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few questions I have(towards Atheists)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
We do we have a lot of Atheists who try to bring Christianity down?
I mean there are many other religions you can try to make a point
out of. Why must it always be the bible this, or God that?

One
two
three

My point is if Atheists do not follow any religion, then why do they mostly pick on Christianity? I mean there is many other religions out there. Every thread you make concerning Christianity, ends up with prove God exists, and we ask prove how the universe was created. It is the same pattern over and over again. How come you barely make mention why the Koran is this or Buddhism is that. I am getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again.

Do not get me wrong I enjoy arguing, but it gets very annoying when people
come at us with the same questions and accusations. I do understand there is almost the same thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...
However I am not looking for an argument, I am looking for an answer
from all the Atheists out there.
What do you guys think of this? Why do you not write anything about
the Koran, Torah's or any other holy book?

[edit on 7-8-2007 by Equinox99]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

What do you guys think of this? Why do you not write anything about
the Koran, Torah's or any other holy book?

Well christianity is the most widespread religion on the planet, and also most believers on ATS are christians, simply because the site is in english and a good majority of the members are from english speaking countries with a judeo-christian culture. And since this is the case even the atheists are more familiar with the bible than the qu'ran for example.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Wouldn't you say thats ignorance though? I mean if you do not understand a
religion you read up on it. So why do you just "attack" a mainstream religion
rather then read up on some facts and make it a more widespread debate.

If you keep talking to the same people about the same thing then you will
get the same answers as before. Why not do a little more research and
see what other cultures need to say about the subject?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Try to see it from our perspective for a moment. Any time somebody gives themselves a label, particularly a religious label, they're saying, "I'm different from you because of what I believe." Okay, people are different. And it would be fine if it stopped there.

But what that person is also usually saying is, "I'm not only different than you, I'm better than you, because I know the truth and you don't." And that really chaps my hide.

Most Christians don't feel like they're making that statement, but they basically are. Just like all Jewish people are saying, "We are God's chosen people." With the implication that, "You're not." Any time you define yourself like that, you're implying that you're better than me and anyone else who doesn't agree with you.

And, since you have absolutely nothing -- and by that I mean absolutely nothing -- with which to back up your beliefs, you might see where that could be a little annoying to others.

These days, it doesn't so much matter. But history has shown that it doesn't take much for a bunch of your type to get together and start burning people like me at the stake. Or maybe rush off to fight a war with the Muslim infidels, who are equally sure that they are better than you because you're obviously disobeying Allah's First (and arguably most important) Commandment by blasphemously claiming that Jesus is also God.

But you're Christians. So you'll literally have to forgive me if I think that you're alarmingly ignorant, horribly misguided, and have clearly proven that you are potentially dangerous.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by SuicideVirus]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well, being human, there are bound to be intelligent and ignorant people on both sides.

However, the most popular and predominant view will always receive the most attention and the most violent attacks. It's for the same reason that creationnists always attack the big bang theory, and never the steady state theory.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   

My point is if Atheists do not follow any religion, then why do they mostly pick on Christianity?

I know what you mean. It's likely because christianity is the most predominant religion in areas where there are atheists who aren't censored to the point where they can't actively oppose religion. For example, i have more direct experience with Christianity because i live in a predominantly chrstian area. It makes sense that my points would stem from things familiar to me.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I agree with you guys, however I am not like another Christian. I am an
open minded Christian. If you have proof then I am willing to take
them time and effort to see what it is. I do not think I am better then
any of you. We are all equal in my eyes. The pope may not see it like that,
Sheiks may not see it like that but I do.
Thanks for your replay's.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hmmm... how to answer this. Yes christianity is very mainstream, and known world wide. Yet i think it has more to do with the "Christian attitude"
that isnt very "Christ" like. Could it be that most Christians who say this and that and point fingers dont even follow there own religions codes of ethics and policies. Most dont even known there own scriptures but yet claim to be all high and mighty. Maybe thats why the athiest attack you.
Or could it be that you guys spend all your time attacking the athiest and tell them there going to hell and other such CRAP!!!! Maybe its the way you disrespect other PEOPLES BELIEFS AND OPINIONS that make you a target.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Really? You don't think you're right, and that I'm wrong? How is that not thinking that you're better than me? Oh, you think that I'm an okay person, just ignorant, but it I knew The Truth like you, then we could be equals. So you maybe feel sympathetic towards me. Well, how that different than thinking that you're superior to me?

Because if you honestly don't know for sure that you're right in what you believe, then guess what... you're not a Christian anymore! You're an agnostic, at the very least, and you're rapidly working your way toward being an atheist, destined for a firey Hell. Oops!

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by plague
Hmmm... how to answer this. Yes christianity is very mainstream, and known world wide. Yet i think it has more to do with the "Christian attitude"
that isnt very "Christ" like. Could it be that most Christians who say this and that and point fingers dont even follow there own religions codes of ethics and policies. Most dont even known there own scriptures but yet claim to be all high and mighty. Maybe thats why the athiest attack you.
Or could it be that you guys spend all your time attacking the athiest and tell them there going to hell and other such CRAP!!!! Maybe its the way you disrespect other PEOPLES BELIEFS AND OPINIONS that make you a target.

I'm sorry. . .have I met you before? By saying "You" I hope you do not mean
me. I respect everyones beliefs, because everyone is entitled to their own
beliefs. If you can point out one of my paragraphs and show me where I
was ever attacking anyone I will apologize and move on. You can't blame
a whole religion because of some peoples mistakes. That is like saying
Islam is a religion of terrorism because there some suicide bombers.

I give everyone a chance, and that is what separates me from you.
I do not judge a whole religion based on past experiences, or some
flaws in their people.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

So if you basically already know the answer to your own question (by stating you agree with us), why did you bother asking?

Anyway, I don't like people of any religion becuase you are (1) faith based, and for that reason, somewhat ignorant of rationale, (2) hypocritically and pointlessly attempting to live a Godly life, only to sin, then asking for forgivness, as if nohing happened at all (3) are partly responsible for hatred and violence, violence which is completely based on faith (4) condescending in your tone when talking to non beleivers, as if your false sense of authority really matters.

As for why we chose Chritianity in particular, is because its the most readily availible in the Western world, as others have said.

And for the record, I am agnostic, and a FORMER Christian. I just couldnt stand being associated with irrationality, close mindedness, and hypocrisy.

[edit on 8/7/2007 by prototism]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
my answer
i dont believe in any of it and dont care about it, apart from the fact that most wars are caused by religion. all religious parties look down at the next religion (well, most anyway).
worship this and pray to that and love thy brother
and then the fanatics go out and try to kill as many people who believe in different religions or because he prays to a different god.
religion in my eyes is about peace and saving people
all i see is hatred and war.
bugger that for a hobby

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

Really? You don't think you're right, and that I'm wrong? How is that not thinking that you're better than me? Oh, you think that I'm an okay person, just ignorant, but it I knew The Truth like you, then we could be equals. So you maybe feel sympathetic towards me. Well, how that different than thinking that you're superior to me?

Because if you honestly don't know for sure that you're right in what you believe, then guess what... you're not a Christian anymore! You're an agnostic, at the very least, and you're rapidly working your way toward being an atheist, destined for a firey Hell. Oops!

Well, I don't like to call myself a Christian. I do not think I am more superior
then you. That is what you think, I however enjoy hearing other's beliefs.
I am more open minded then other Christian extremists. I believe in some
science and some Religion.
However you thought that I think I am better then you. Which is not the case, I simply asked for your opinion. There is no right or wrong in opinions.

But you have to think for a second, if you keep thinking every religious
person is attacking you then how are you better then they?
I never gave you the impression that I was better. I did agree on some things does that mean I will agree on everything? No.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliffy
my answer
i dont believe in any of it and dont care about it, apart from the fact that most wars are caused by religion. all religious parties look down at the next religion (well, most anyway).
worship this and pray to that and love thy brother
and then the fanatics go out and try to kill as many people who believe in different religions or because he prays to a different god.
religion in my eyes is about peace and saving people
all i see is hatred and war.
bugger that for a hobby

Oh you guys judge all of religion based on the actions of an individual. That is very hard headed. We do not create war science does. How? who created
weapons? Not religion. Does religion have blueprints for nukes? nope.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

We do not create war science does. How? who created
weapons? Not religion. Does religion have blueprints for nukes? nope.

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." I. Asimov

While science gave us nukes, it's not science that used them. War is part of our nature, of our species. Like ants we will fight over natural resources.

I don't believe religion has caused all the wars, but you can't say science has either. I can't think of any war that was caused by scientists really, Oh look, this canadian team of physicists is trying to disprove the big bang let's invade canada!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Because some of us grew up in a born-again household and saw first-hand the evil that it truly is.

Pat Robertson/700 Club
Moral Majority
Christian Coalition
American Center for Law and Justice
Focus on the Family
Christian rock music
Abortion clinic rallies/bombings
Intelligent Design
Ted Haggard

And it just goes on and on...

Nothing more than a way to extract money from the wallets of the weak through brainwashing and conditioning.

[edit on 8/7/2007 by chiS2000]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

But you have to think for a second, if you keep thinking every religious
person is attacking you then how are you better then they?

I personally don't think I'm better than anyone else, including the religious. I think we're all just oily skinbags whose purpose is to carry our DNA around and help make sure it reproduces.

But I answered your original question as to why I have a bone to pick with Christians. Christians have time and again proven themselves to be two steps away from being murdering fanatics. I think that's a pretty good reason not to like them a whole lot.

And, yeah, you need to face the fact that you're not really a Christian anymore.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by plague

I'm sorry. . .have I met you before? By saying "You" I hope you do not mean
me. I respect everyones beliefs, because everyone is entitled to their own
beliefs. If you can point out one of my paragraphs and show me where I
was ever attacking anyone I will apologize and move on. You can't blame
a whole religion because of some peoples mistakes. That is like saying
Islam is a religion of terrorism because there some suicide bombers.

I give everyone a chance, and that is what separates me from you.
I do not judge a whole religion based on past experiences, or some
flaws in their people.

I did not mean you as an individual per say as I do not know you and I apologize for that but that was my opinion of the matter and im shure many others feel the same. As far as judging a religion ...I wasnt. I have no problem with Jesus or his discples and what they stood for and preached. Like I said most so called "christians".

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It is an interesting question from a certain angle.
It's okay to attack Christainity (and, yeah, it deserves a few attacks), but what about other religions?

What about American Indian beliefs, or Australian Aboriginal Dreamtime?
The mythology of both those native cultures is treated with a lot of respect, which again is fine, but is it okay to say, "Sorry, but this "Spiritual Connection with the Land" stuff is bull. So snap out of it, buy a business suit and get a proper job!"?

Would that be seen as being insensitive? Probably.

And indeed the current popularity of Buddhism, seems to have an untouchable sheen over it. Don't dare criticize teachings of the Buddha that you don't agree with. Don't dare suggest that reincarnation and karma possibly aren't the way the world works.

Maybe Atheism needs to free itself from the Easy Target of Christianity, and spread it's wings.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by emjoi]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

One
two
three

My point is if Atheists do not follow any religion, then why do they mostly pick on Christianity?

Because Christianity is the dominant religion where we live so it becomes the obvious target. If we lived in Iran we'd be beating up on Islam.

Nothing personal.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by discomfit]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join