It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

stars or ufo's?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
They "nasa" claim you cant see stars in outer space. I find this preposterous. If they can be viewed from our planet and through our atmosphere then how much better could they be seen from space? Yet NASA insists this is not the case. Is this true or are they trying to hide the ufo traffic? Any thoughts here or am i way off base here?.. thnx guys and gals.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
When have they said you can't see stars in space?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I can see stars at night.
But try and photograph them.
You can't.
Unless you leave the shutter open for long time exposure.

Why the astronauts deny seeing stars is indeed baffling.

Ed:When have they said you can't see stars in space?

I think is was in news conference, might be up on youtube.

[edit on 8/1/2007 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It's pretty simple really - when you are out in space the sun's glare is overwhelming. It's like being out on a sunny day, at 12 noon, and then some, since there is no atmosphere. There is no way your eyes, or a camera can adjust to seeing both sun-lit objects and stars which are faint in comparison.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I was thinking, what about low earth orbit, behind the Earth, when
its dark away from the Sun.

Can stars be seen then or photographed.

What is the space telescope doing if it can't see stars.
Perhaps its only at night, details of operation nonexistent.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
I was thinking, what about low earth orbit, behind the Earth, when
its dark away from the Sun.

Can stars be seen then or photographed.

Under those circumstances, there shouldn't be any problem.

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
What is the space telescope doing if it can't see stars.
Perhaps its only at night, details of operation nonexistent.

The front elements of space telescopes would have to be well shielded from the sun, and as long as they are not pointed anywhere close to the sun, it would be as effective as being hidden behind the Earth.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by HooHaa
They "nasa" claim you cant see stars in outer space.

I'd like to see that claim somewhere officially in full context. Can you show us?
Youtube and such are full of quotes taken out of context and cut-pasted in 10 sec videos. So beware...

They might have said it in context of cameras. Its difficult to capture stars by a camera, as they are too dim for most cams and its not possible to keep them steadily pointed towards a fixed direction for long (a tripod is useless here, and you are going like thousand miles per sec).

I'm sure human eyes can see them easily, and much more clearly than from down here. Just face away from sun and you can see 100x more stars.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
It's pretty simple really - when you are out in space the sun's glare is overwhelming. It's like being out on a sunny day, at 12 noon, and then some, since there is no atmosphere. There is no way your eyes, or a camera can adjust to seeing both sun-lit objects and stars which are faint in comparison.

Sorry but our astronauts are not in the suns glare everyday, half their orbit is in the sun and half is not.
The Space Telescope has no problems photographing stars and everything else.
The only thing that I have heard about there being a problem with stars showing up in space is when they are referring to their cameras. They claim that the exposures are not set to see the dim lights that stars emit but Ive never heard them say that they cannot see stars.
I do remember when the first ever private craft entered space, using a ship that the co-founder of Microsoft funds, the pilot clearly stated how beautiful the stars were while he was up there.

[edit on 8/2/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yeah, I find this claim a little strange also.

I watched THE QUANTUM HOLOGRAM last night...."

Google Video Link

I actually spent £10 ($20) on this a year ago...QUITE dissapointing i can assure you, t'was like buying a DVD of HEADLINES without the CONTENT.

Anyway, the speaker is EDGAR MITCHELL - 6th man on the moon.

When discribing looking at the earth from the moons surface, he CLEARLY states and i QUOTE

" I was looking, seeing the Earth out there and ALL THE STARS BEHIND IT"

quote is at the 5:40mins mark..

So yeah, i'd be interested in seeing a link to this statement the NASA are said to have made.

AoN

[edit on 2-8-2007 by Anomic of Nihilism]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Here you go:

Astronauts "don't recall" seeing stars while traveling to the Moon

No stars from the Cosmos
this video

not related but I took a ref video and must continue

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Now, that COMPLETELY contradicts what EDGAR MITCHELL states...

WATCH THE GOOGLE VIDEO ABOVE "The Quantum Hologram"... at the 5:55min mark.

He discribes EXACTLY what he sees.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
Sorry but our astronauts are not in the suns glare everyday, half their orbit is in the sun and half is not.

I never said they were. I did say:

There is no way your eyes, or a camera can adjust to seeing both sun-lit objects and stars

...which means I was talking about the time that they were in the sun's glare. Did you not read my following post also ?

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
The Space Telescope has no problems photographing stars and everything else.

Yes - and I explained why in my following post. One mistake there though - AFAIK it can't photogaph the sun, moon or Earth, so not quite "everything else" !

new topics

top topics

join