It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LIFE IN THE SOALR SYTEM... WHERE WOULD IT BE?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
OK GUYS HERES A QUESTION FOR YA!

If (and note if) life was to be found in our solarr system... be it intelligent or primitive.... where would you say it is most likely to be found... Mars? The Moon? Another planets Moon? another planet? i wanna see what people think...

i personally would say Europa, Jupiters moon as it is believed to be covered in a layer of ice... now if there was a warm core to Europa then is it not possible that life could exist in an ocean under the ice covering... there are marks on the surface of the ice that look as if warm water may have pushed through the icy surface but quicly frozen due to lack of atmosphere... the ice on Europa would act like an atmoshpere to any ocean underneath... keeping most unwanted radiation and debris from making it through to the under-ocean... what do YOU think

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by specialasianX]

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I doubt there would be any kind of life in our solar system, primitive or advanced. Europa does have frozen ice, but it is way too cold for it too sustain life.

Earth seems to be in the right place to support life, between Venus and Mars.

If any life was to be found I think it would be in Mars, since Venus is too hot.

Mars is the likely candidate for couple of reasons, it is the closer to Earth, only planet which sustains life and it has likely evidence that water once flowed there.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
I doubt there would be any kind of life in our solar system, primitive or advanced. Europa does have frozen ice, but it is way too cold for it too sustain life.

Earth seems to be in the right place to support life, between Venus and Mars.

If any life was to be found I think it would be in Mars, since Venus is too hot.

Mars is the likely candidate for couple of reasons, it is the closer to Earth, only planet which sustains life and it has likely evidence that water once flowed there.

good point but if Europa has a warm core is it not possible there could be warm vents at the bottom of the ocean... earth has such vents and thewarm water is capable of sustaining life at epth where scientists had thought nothing could live as no sunlight penetrated this far... so could it not be possible that Europa has similar vents...
i do agree however that the likelyhood of any life being found living in our solar system (earth excluded of course) is very very low...

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX

earth has such vents and thewarm water is capable of sustaining life at epth where scientists had thought nothing could live as no sunlight penetrated this far... so could it not be possible that Europa has similar vents...

Yes earth has vents, and possibly Europa could have them too.

Life as we know may or may not exist in Europa, but Europa is alive (I think). Right now it could be taking the first steps which could lead to the creation of life.

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by surfup]

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
lile i said i doubt life is anywhere in the sytem, europa being the most likely to harbour any life (which would be quite primitive) mars may have once but it is now extinct or migrated elsewhere i think

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well, if signs of life were to be found in our system, I'd bet on Mars too. Although it's not a shot in the dark since scientists may find a find soon, maybe already.

Who knows, maybe we'll accidently run into somebody hanging out on the far side of the moon.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Our Moon, Mars, Europa, Titan, the Orion star cluster, and the Zeta Reticuli system is where I currently think life resides. I'm sure there is a lot more out there, but as of now, those are the ones I'm most comfortable with associating residual ET life.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Aliens as I think would be on Europa.

And on EARTH.

Yes on Earth.

I think there could be aliens in Antartica under the miles of ice in Lake Vostok.

Out,
Russian

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by Russian]

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I didn't add Earth, because its a given that ET life is already here. Yes, Antarctica is certainly a nice spot for an ET hangout.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
I didn't add Earth, because its a given that ET life is already here. Yes, Antarctica is certainly a nice spot for an ET hangout.

Volacanoes are a hot spot for ET too.

I highly doubt life on our Moon.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Life can exist anywhere. other life may not need water to survive or other means.

Life can be in so many ways dont let how we live and our surrounding fool you into thinking they will be like us

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I agree...although if anything was out there (like us), my best bet would be that it is in another galaxy or on one of the outer planet's mooons.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
True... but some kinds of life we may not be able to interact with as their environs would probably be hostile to us... i think when people mention 'life' they are referring to 'life as we know it' meaning life we can interact easily with... otherwise it may not be much use to us

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If carbon based life forms live elsewhere in our solar system, I believe they would exist on Europa. One thing not mentioned on this thread yet is the gravitational effects of Jupiter on it. Jupiter pushes and pulls on the moon, causing the core to stay hot. This would allow hot underwater gysers to continue to spew their life giving heat. I doubt it would be inteligent life, but I could be wrong.

But then, there's the aspect of a non-carbon based lifeform. Would we even recognise it if we saw it? Who knows where it could live, too. It might be living in the asteroid belt, it could live on the sun, we just don't have enough information to be able to make a judgement.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
If carbon based life forms live elsewhere in our solar system, I believe they would exist on Europa. One thing not mentioned on this thread yet is the gravitational effects of Jupiter on it.

Would we even recognise it if we saw it? Who knows where it could live, too. It might be living in the asteroid belt, it could live on the sun, we just don't have enough information to be able to make a judgement.

I see your argument about how gravitational effects of Jupiter keeps Europa hot, that could cause life to evolve deep inside the surface. But wouldn't Europa have sudden changes of temperature? Thefore not providing a ideal situation for life to begin.

Or non-carbon life forms could be living right here on earth, and we have overlooked them. They could exist right in front of us or in a place far from our reach or they might not exist at all.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Why would europa have sudden changes of temperature? essentially if the core stays hot it would be able to support life...

if however europa did experience these changes of temperature whats to say the life hasnt adapted to it and is able to live in extreme conditions...

tz

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I know we're just dealing with our own solar system, but we are just a speck of an entire universe that could be teeming with life.

Anyways my prediction for our own solar system is Europa, our Moon, or Mars.

new topics

top topics

join