It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerning Bad Grammar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I'm wondering if there is a Conspiracy going on in this particular part of ATS in regard to all the bad grammar I've been noticing lately.

We have either been invaded by a bunch of Middle School Drop-outs or Yoda has landed and started a language school.

It's bad enough that I actually find myself trying to read this trash and even more inexplicably find myself trying to respond to some of it. But the lousy diction is actually becoming more rampant.

Maybe that's it. The actual conspiracy is to get some of us all worked up into a hissy fit so that we waste our time trying to make heads or tails of this nonsense.

Well in my case they have succeeded, because I'm ranting about it now.

I'm exhausted now!!

[edit on 24-7-2007 by sharkman]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Our website just attracts a lots of schizophrenics with grossly disorganized thought patterns that are reflected in their posting and what is known in the psychiatric world as "poverty of speech".

Gotta take the bad with the good, bub.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
My favorite bit of bad grammar is:

"Your an idiot."

It's good on so many different levels.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by SuicideVirus]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
SuicideVirus,

Please Stop, My Head Hurts !! LOL !!

One of Father's favorite ones, "You Ain't Got No Couth!"

My God, What have I started?!?!

[edit on 25-7-2007 by sharkman]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Our website just attracts a lots of schizophrenics with grossly disorganized thought patterns that are reflected in their posting and what is known in the psychiatric world as "poverty of speech".

Gotta take the bad with the good, bub.

LOL. As a resident "high functioning" schizophrenic, I do my personal best to spell check every post.

Still, I think it's more to do with the age demographic.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I agree, call me elitist but my opinion of a post/ poster immediately drops when I see poor grammar or bad/ colloquial spelling. No one is perfect but when the majority of us have to put some serious effort in to understanding what you are writing (assuming that English is your native tongue) it is time to, at the very least, make friends with spell check.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Alas...

Mastery of syntax and punctuation are not required to post on the ATS family of discussion boards. While there are some members who by lack of ability, care, proper instruction, or familiarity with the Queen's English are unable to convey their thoughts in this medium; I find most competently cogent.

I despair more on the subject of due diligence than the workmanship of delivery... Though there does seem to be a trend towards the lack of both in some fora.

Funk & Wagnalls Monkeys, not just for concise diction anymore...

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The error that annoys me the most, and I think by far is the most prolific, is alot. Alot is not a word. Use the space bar.
A lot!!!!! :bnghd:

Way to church it up with the fancy prose MM.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Not every member has English as their first language though.

So while some members are simply bad with grammar, we should not pigeonhole everyone based on the assumption that English is their primary language.

I'm here for the content. If the post is legible, I could not care less if they miss a few commas or flub a few words. Now if the mistakes are that rampant that the message is being lost, it is something worth looking into.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Anybody got a link for a crash course on good grammar, im still regretting sleeping through Mrs heinz class.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I do a few typos, so I will appologize in advance if I don't catch them.

Maybe find out if English isn't their first language, if it is and they type like that then maybe they need to take a remedial english course.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Grammar, grammar, grammar: I hate grammar!

I teach kids English! I do not teach adults, they're a pain in the glute. I don't think grammar is such a bad issue, but then I deal with it day in and day out.

I have to control my inner stickler and not "quote" and amend whole posts some times.

I suggest to everyone the book "Eats, shoots and leaves!" by *runs to book shelf* Lynne Truss. It's an interesting read and will help with the shocking punctuation. There's also a nice bit of history in there as well.

Edit: spelling, grammar and punctuation. DOH!

[edit on 26/7/07 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Alright... my grammar sucks. I apologize if I lose you all with it. Part of it has to do with my inability to understand the rules and exceptions.

Your right though... there is a lot of issues with grammar here. I hate it when you get one long sentence with absolutely no puntuation.

Edn

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
English is my first language and unfortunately I find it very hard some times to put a proper sentence together, I actually find it easier typing than I do speaking (spell checker to the rescue), a lot of times i cant even get the right word out. It could probably be put down to some form of dyslexia but I've never had the doctor check it and to be honest thats just trying to find an excuse to the problem so you can say "oh im dislexic" and have people accept your crappy writing.

I try my best but just keep in mind some people do find it a bit hard.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I hate to be this way but I managed to get through college with a PhD and have the most horrible grammar. I own my own business and feel pretty damn happy that I made it out of a small Ga. town with out ending up in jail or worse. Funny how grammar never makes me look down the bridge of my nose at anyone. I find it more impressive of those who can make out what one is typing or writing rather than screaming do it this way so I can read it. I mean the real skill would fall into being able to read all grammar instead of a forced structure. But that's just my nickle.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
so some people slip up in their written language.. big deal.

i dont care, hell its a message board im probably one of the people youre talkin about..

aS LoNg aZz SuM1 iZ aBLe 2 gEt ThEiR PoiNtZ aXrOsS i KoOd cArE LeSs HoW tHeY TyPeD~~

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Bad grammar, while annoying to some, will only end up hurting the poster's ability to communicate with others. In turn, you are only selling yourself short when you choose to write incoherantly. I know when I read a post, I for one don't care about grammar. Yet, if a post is not punctuated at all or if it is long and not broken up into paragraphs, I tend to pay less attention to them or ignore them all together.

I don't mind reading poor grammar posts if the op states that English is not their first language, or if there is a medical problem that prevents them from writing well.

It may not be a necessity, but if you want some decent feedback I suggest sounding somewhat intelligent when you post.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Another thing that springs to mind!

Most ESL (English as a Second Language) students actually have a better understanding of grammar than natives, because they have to learn it. Seriously go ask a Korean student the difference between and transitive and intransative verb. They will know the answer.

I honestly don't remember being taught an awful lot of grammar when I was at school. It was kind of expected that you 'get it' from the reading material you used and the corrections made in your work. The whole approach to teaching grammar changes every 10/15 years or so. There are thousands/millions of English people who couldn't answer the above question.

Language is used to communicate, the clearer it is the more likely you are to understand it (Aces
) But. The Phantom. if you saw a whole page of text in the manor you just posted would you really bother to even bother with it!

Tsloan - Kind of similar to myself "I be less dic sic" but I read and re-read and edit and sometimes I edit again. Big up for the PHD!!! (might get me one of those one day)

[edit on 31/7/07 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Most ESL (English as a Second Language) students actually have a better understanding of grammar than natives, because they have to learn it. Seriously go ask a Korean student the difference between and transitive and intransative verb. They will know the answer.

Never heard of either, goes to prove your point.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Not every member has English as their first language though.

Exactly, we all know that there are other nations other than uk, and usa.

The worst i have found is the ones that do not use paragraphs. It makes you lose interest in reading there piece, thats my only gripe.

<<   2 >>

join