It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US and UK 'no longer inseparable'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   

US and UK 'no longer inseparable'

news.bbc.co.uk

Lord Mark Malloch Brown told the Daily Telegraph it was time for a more "impartial" foreign policy and to build relationships with European leaders. Some analysts may consider the Foreign Office minister's remarks evidence of Labour distancing itself from the US.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
From what I can see everyone is abandoning the US.
Jeez I wonder why?!

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Well I for one would rather we kept our relationship with the U.S.
They are true allies and I know we can count on them in a crisis.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

From what I can see everyone is abandoning the US.
Jeez I wonder why?!

news.bbc.co.uk

No.

Britain is simply distancing itself from an unpopular President.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This goes back to the second world war, what ever Churchill signed over to the USA for them to help us, we are now paying the price for it now many years later.

Look around you, how come we are the only nation to back the states, how come we are the only nation to stay in iraq when other backed their troops out???

UK, is under the USA controll, dont want to be but that the way it is!!!!

Still, WHY DID WE GO TO WAR!!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The UK has finally finished paying off it's loans to the US for WWII, so now maybe we ought to also evict them from the bases they occupy here as well.
Make a clean break and put the people of this country first.
The UK is nothing more than a big static aircraft carrier and staging post for the US military and it's about time we put an end to it. Make our own policies to suit ourselves, not be governed by what the US want us to do.
It's worth bearing in mind that all this US military hardware in the UK is not for our protection but to project US power.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Ah, jolly good. Back to the good old days of pre-Blair!

Previous PM's prior to Herr Blair, whilst maintaining a GOOD relationship with the US, didn't go so far as to insert ourselves up their bum.

And yes, remove your troops. I can't count the amount of times US citizens on here complain and bitch about paranoid dillusions of foreign troops on their soil... Well, we actually have foreign troops here and it's high time they went home.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Britain will always have a special affinity with America there are to many similarities for this not to be so, language is the obvious one, Brit's do not feel part of Europe, long may the US and Britain remain strong friends and allies, this is just Gordon Brown trying to distance himself from the Blair years, they never saw eye to eye on anything.

[edit on 14-7-2007 by avro]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Previous PM's prior to Herr Blair, whilst maintaining a GOOD relationship with the US, didn't go so far as to insert ourselves up their bum.

Oh, I don't know. Remember Mag Thatch and Ronald Raygun?

It hasn't been all one way traffic, though.

In the first few days after the captives were seized and British diplomats were getting no news from Tehran on their whereabouts, Pentagon officials asked their British counterparts: what do you want us to do? They offered a series of military options, a list which remains top secret given the mounting risk of war between the US and Iran. But one of the options was for US combat aircraft to mount aggressive patrols over Iranian Revolutionary Guard bases in Iran, to underline the seriousness of the situation.

The British declined the offer and said the US could calm the situation by staying out of it. London also asked the US to tone down military exercises that were already under way in the Gulf. Three days before the capture of the 15 Britons , a second carrier group arrived having been ordered there by president George Bush in January. The aim was to add to pressure on Iran over its nuclear programme and alleged operations inside Iraq against coalition forces.

Source:www.ladlass.com...

Given the delicate situation in the Persian Gulf, this amounts to an offer to go to war over 15 British Navy personnel. Now we know that the last thing the US would want is another war in the Middle East.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I for one would rather see, the UK holding on to this special relationship with the US, rather than bulding close relationships with Europe. Just something about the E.U. that makes me uneasy.

Both the US and the UK have backed each other on numerous occasions, long may it continue. (Would rather have the US on our side, than the french or the germans anyday).

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Ronald was in Maggies pocket, not the other way round
hehe...

I have no problem with being best buds with them, but to be indistinguishable from them in foreign eyes is dangerous....

After all, we're losing sovereignty to EU in one hand and also getting shackled to the US in foreign policy on the other....

Can't we have an opinion of our own anymore?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Make our own policies to suit ourselves, not be governed by what the US want us to do.

You're having a Giraffe aren't you?
I would rather follow the policies of the U.S than the crap the Eurocrats in Brussels would have us follow.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
It's a tough one. I'd rather remain close to the US than the EU- although not as close as we have been pre Iraq. We should be independant and make our own decisions instead of following blindfolded. IF we were ever in need of assistance militarily or anything else I think the US would aid us far more than the EU would.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by executioner

Originally posted by Britguy
Make our own policies to suit ourselves, not be governed by what the US want us to do.

You're having a Giraffe aren't you?
I would rather follow the policies of the U.S than the crap the Eurocrats in Brussels would have us follow.

That's not quite what he said though, is it? Who said anything about if you don't follow the US, you follow Europe?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Would rather the UK made its own policies rather than, being split down the middle between the US and the EU. But again favours the US more than the EU. But thats my personal opinion.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I don't see whats so stupid about straight bananas. They are much easier to fit in... things....and having litres instead of pints is vital to global well-being.

Actually, I take it all back. Have you seen how much legislation has been passed by the buggers?

The entire canon of EU legislation now runs to 170,000 pages

Sorce:archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com...
I found this page on Google. Honest. I think Cranmer is a tit.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The UK should get more involved in continental politics, this is were most of their history comes from and their future . And why don they join the euro?, look what would happen then with US/UK relations ..
But i think Brown is more of an interim PM, isnt he? like the current pope

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

The entire canon of EU legislation now runs to 170,000 pages

Most of which, If I may add is getting put through legislation in the UK through the backdoor. Ever wonder why the Gov, will not have a referendumm on the EU treaty? They know it would be political suicide to have one.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This topic is being discussed in an earlier thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join