It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Qaeda Threatens Iran With War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Al-Qaeda Threatens Iran With War

www.foxnews.com

CAIRO, Egypt — The leader of an Al Qaeda umbrella group in Iraq threatened to wage war against Iran unless it stops supporting Shiites in Iraq within two months, according to an audiotape.

Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, who leads the group Islamic State in Iraq , said his Sunni fighters have been preparing for four years to wage a battle against Shiite-dominated Iran.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Wow, I don't know what to think..

Anyone smell that fish?Al-qaeda attacking Iran would be so so great for the U.S...

Is AQI really a product of the U.S?

Or did we just get really lucky?

[edit on 9-7-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This could be a red herring thrown out by the military leaders in Iraq or it could be real too, nothing would suprise me at this point, I doubt that we have two months left to find out though for by the end of the two month period I believe we will be in the throws of full scale war in the middle east................I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The game is afoot.

Either the US is playing it's old disinformation game with Iran as the target, or there are three players in this upcoming war.

If it's a three party war, then I can almost guarantee the US wont win it. Al-Qaeda is more likely to be pushed into an alliance with Iran and the rest of the muslim world, than the US is to ally with any of them.

If I were you, I'd start thinking of how you can avoid this war. Let's hope Canada is a viable place to run to during this mess... but with the way things are looking up here, we may just get dragged into it with you yanks this time.

It just sickens me to know that all of this was started because of 'peaceful' religions wanting to do away with each other.

I'll stick with Atheism, and I'm staying the heck out of this conflict.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Wow, what an unexpected turn...
Something to keep in mind firstly, is this is a FOXNEW's link.
but that doesnt mean we should completely ignore it.

Ive always found it suspicous, how we're focusing SO MUCH on training the Iraqi army...

This to me smell's to much like a US chess move......
This 'umbrella' group associated to alqaeda, who's a sunni faith is threatening 2 tackle Iran... the proxy war as it is, has started.

The battle will be against an American supplied, funded and assisted Iraqi-Army, consisting mainly of Sunni's... against an Iranian backed, funded and assisted Shiite army..

Why send your own soliders to war, when you can train up a whole other nations men, to fight your wars for you?

This civil war ravaging Iraq is a focal point with this statement...
This scares me, because the groups in Iraq clearly have no fear about attacking the strongest military in the world 'the US'
so i cant imagine them backing down fighting Iran.

2 Months is a long time to warn your enemy...
IF your a terrorist group, you dont warn your enemy.. you strike, then tell them why.. and if they continue, then its their own fault.
You dont threaten WAR, then back down..

people get ready... because its about to begin.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
You titled the thread Al-Qaeda Threatens Iran With War which the story really or I should say technically does not support. What it states is an umbrella or splinter group has given Iran a warning, which is not the same unless of course the leaders of AQ have turned over all power to this group.

There is another aspect, which is sect fighting or in fighting within religions as appears to be the case here, This type of thing has been going on for years so there is nothing new with the exception this group has issued a warning and even that is nothing new. Now if you really think this one group means a hill of beans to Iran you had better start thinking again, unless of course, you can guarantee they are speaking for all of AQ that is and even then, I doubt it would bother them. Look at the Taliban now they are known AQ and they threaten Pakistan almost daily with some kind of threat yet no war has broken out has it?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Ya,it would not be a large military attack though.You must consider what having suicide bombers blowing civilians up all over in iran could and would do to destablize iran.

Tensions would grow even farther and i have almost no doubt Iran would say the US is somehow behind all the suicde attacks,no doubt..

Well the text i had qouted was the text of Shots article, so this is in response to his thread,i guess that was excessive...

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 9-7-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I'm glad you understand what this article truly means..And i think you pretty much summed it up,nice post!

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
It wouldnt need to be an all out attack..
Iran will retaliate against Sunni factions inside Iraq if they succeeded in bombing Tehran...

Once youve got a publically backed #te Iran attacking an Iraqi backed Sunni faction... youve got the US V Iran.. which I believe is the entire point.

The sunni faction threatening here can effectivley create a major confrontation between the two power houses in Iraq.

And when you understand that the Sunni's hate the Americans for occupying, and the iranians for backing the shiites, it makes more sense.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The enemy of my enemy is my friend - so the saying goes - and is often quoted here on ATS

So, which side are the right-wingers going to pick? Al Quaeda or Iran?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
Tensions would grow even farther and i have almost no doubt Iran would say the US is somehow behind all the suicde attacks,no doubt..

No not really. Keep in mind Iran has a lot of infighting that goes on within Iran already from groups that oppose their current President. As for blaming the US you have to be kidding Iran knows only too well the US no logner backs or supports AQ or do you think Irans leaders are idiots?

Feel free to try and blow this out of proportion but I am moving on. I consider it yet another fear mongering thread about a possible impending war with Iran that tend to appear at least one of week or at least once a month, yet always turn our to be nothing :shk:

[edit on 7/9/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I think that people are forgetting the history because, it seems Bin Laden distanced himself from Hussein and the Fedayeen sort of egging them on after the war started, you never even heard about Al Quaeda in Iraq before or even into very well into the war, i do not believe any of the Taliban, Pakistani, Saudi or Syrian Al Quaeda affiliates had a real presence in Iraq at all and probably still do not.

As far as i am concerned the Al Quaeda in Iraq were inspired wannabees of the original Al Quaeda that were in Afghanistan fighting the Russians and much more hardcore characters that we still don't have a grasp on their whereabouts.

I think the people now under the guise of Al Quaeda but in Iraq that are making threats to Iran are the original Iraqi factions more loyal to Sadaam and have always historically been enemies of Iran so in other words I do not think this is anything new, only a threat coming from old Sunni groups that comprise the insurgency that are using Al Quaeda in Iraq as the mouthpiece to make old threats.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by phinubian]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Considering what's been going on in Iraq since the Golden Mosque got blown up (the first time) this shouldn't be much of a surprise.

It does however expose the idea that Iran is in cahoots with AQ as somewhat ridiculous. The Shia radicals that run Iran and the Sunni radicals that run AQ are mortal enemies - most likely each despising the other far more even than they hate the US.

JSR

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo

Is AQI really a product of the U.S?

Or did we just get really lucky?

i think it is all just part of the plan to pull everybody into the fight. AQ is trying to create a single calphite(however you spell that). to do that, you must draw everybody into the fight. 911 was the plan to draw the west in.

just my opinion.......

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
These reports of Al Qaeda threatening Iran unsurprising and nothing new.

Al Qaeda's ideology and those linked to them is composed from Extreme Sunni thought, that is that Shia Muslims are not Muslims, but idol worshippers, or in Al Zarqawi's purported words: "Worse than dogs, Jews and Americans."

The split in Islam into Sunni and Shia Islam respectively occured after the death of The Prophet Muhammad, and who it was thought should rightly succeed him in leading Muslims.

Those Muslims later to become known as Shia believed those with the knowledge of Islam and The Prophet Muhammad's teachings to succeed Muhammad in leading Muslims could only come from Muhammad's descendants, and in their view after which they say Muhammad wished, this should be a man by the name of Ali, who was Muhammad's cousin.

Those Muslims later to become known as Sunni meanwhile, without any proof Muhammad stated Ali was to be his successor in leading Muslims, believed the leader of Muslims to follow The Prophet Muhammad could come only from the decision took by Shura, a council which decided who be elected leaders.

After a deliberation, the Shura settled upon a man by the name of Abu Bakr, and he became the first Caliph of Muslims.

Following this decision, the followers of Ali, in not accepting the Shura's decision going against who they saw as rightly succeeding The Prophet Muhammad, namely Ali, did not recognise Abu Bakr as Caliph, and they did not recognise his Caliphate.

The followers of Ali became known as Shi'iat Ali, meaning 'The Party of Ali', although they are called today as Shia or Shiite Muslims.

Those who accepted Abu Bakr as the rightful successor to Muhammad in being the leader of Muslims became known as Sunni, short for 'Ahl as-Sunnah wa’l-Jamā‘h' which means 'people of the example of The Prophet Muhammad'.

The Shias meanwhile, came to saw Ali as divine second only to The Prophet Muhammad.

Those of the extreme view within Sunni Islam saw, and continue to see the Shias as heretics for not accepting Abu Bakr as Caliph, and for the Shia's reverence Ali as blasphemous, following an usurper and worshipping an idol when Islam states that no idol should be worshipped.

The split in Islam, into Sunni and Shia lead to an Islamic Civil War, and the bitterness therein from the causes and the split reverberate within Islam today.

Sunnis and Shias have killed each other over periods in Pakistan's very recent history.

And we have seen this with devastating effect, in Iraq.

In the late 1990's, Iranian journalists who visited Afghanistan to report on life in Afghanistan were rounded up by the Taliban (who are extreme Sunni) and executed the journalists, leading to Iran to mass it's troops on Afghanistan's border.

Following September 11th 2001, Iran, whose government is Shia Muslim, and in realising the US were going after Al Qaeda, which as a movement, seeks to kill all Shias, handed over suspected Al Qaeda members it had caught to the US, as a token of friendship.

In doing this, Iran was saying to the US "You and I are both against the same enemy, Al Qaeda, extremist Sunnis. Let us work together."

But this chance, this opening of doors, that offered the end of hurt and mutual distrust on both sides, was thrown away, cast aside, by Bush's 'Axis of Evil' speech.

Again Iran offered friendship to the US in the face of a mutual enemy, Al Qaeda.

In 2003, Iran's supreme leader, Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamanei, sent a letter to the US.

In doing this, Khamanei was realising the US had toppled the Taliban and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, enemies of Iran, and realised the US was on the verge of toppling another enemy of Iran, Saddam Hussein.

In the letter, Khamanei offered better relations with the US, an end to Iran's support of Hezbollah, and other concessions.

It was a moment that should have been grasped by the US Government, a chance for US-Iran relations once more, friendship, a building of trust, a moment that had not come to fruition since before the Revolution of 1979.

It was not to be.

It was not to be.

The US Government cast aside the letter, ignored it, and built up rhetoric against Iran, confident in 2003 after toppling Saddam in what was the early days of the Iraqi insurgency.

And so a chance, a chance of US-Iran co-operation was destroyed and obliterated perhaps for another 20 years or so.

Iran's government, humiliated by the US reacting with hostility to the letter, in turn returned the US's rhetoric.

Meanwhile, the Al Qaeda inspired view Iran's government being Shia as blasphemous, especially the Ayatollahs, who the extreme Sunnis view as repulsive for claiming to lead and guide as the Koran dictates.

Impossible and blasphemous, the extreme Sunnis say, for the Shias did not recognise the succession of Abu Bakr to Muhammad as the leader of Muslims.

Extreme Sunnis like Al Qaeda and the radical Shias leading The Islamic Republic of Iran will never unite against the US.

The mutual hatred goes back many hundreds of years, it is deep and goes to the heart of who was the true successor of The Prophet Muhammad, no light matter for Muslims.

Shias and Sunnis who are moderate get along quite well, but extreme and radical elements of either? Never.

The emergence of the US in recent history as what they perceive to be a imperialist threat can not overcome this ancient mutual hatred, not unless the US does something horribly stupid to unite them, which would in my view, equate to a war on Islam which would be undeniable, like destroying Mecca or something akin to this.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by Regensturm]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
"What a twist!"

Heh, I think its the US's goal to destabilize the region.
Ya know.. divide and conquer.

This al-Qaeda group just might help the US, if it wished
to destabilize Iran, and consequently Syria as well.

Interesting development.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate
This al-Qaeda group just might help the US, if it wished
to destabilize Iran, and consequently Syria as well.

Seymour Hersh has stated that the US, following persuasion and payment by Saudi Arabia, are funding Al Qaeda linked groups in Lebanon to counter Iran backed Hezbollah.

Seymour Hersh has said that he can not understand why, in considering that it was Al Qaeda who supposedly attacked the US on the 11th September 2001, and Al Qaeda who this 'War on terror' is about, why Americans are not up in arms about this.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think we see this eye to eye.
Its amazing how both/all sides can be played.
At this point in the game, we can't help but watch it unfold.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I wish I had a dollar for every time I read that war with Iran was less than a month or 2 away, or someone said "get ready, here it comes". I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, if ever.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
"IF" this is correct and true.........................

What do you think would happen if Iran had terrorists bombings of it's business and civilian sectors-pay back is a B____H.

Would they dare attack the bases in Iraq???

If they(Iran) did, will that give Bush his reason to directly, militarly attack Iran??

Would it force allies in Iraq to directly fight Iran-now Western countries VS Iran???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join