It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The soul and human conciousness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I read that the human conciousness cannot be destroyed, i have been pondering on this, if the soul and conciousness are eternal, how is it that only earthen bodies are manifested....i just need some feedback from some that have a greater understanding of the topic.

I saw some eastern religious shows and they use reincarnation as a theme, but since the universe is so expansive why is earth the only holder of physical bodies or organic entities that can be manifested by souls and conciousness?

[edit on 7-7-2007 by phinubian]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by phinubian
I read that the human conciousness cannot be destroyed

If someone has his/her head blown off, i'm quite sure their conciousness is destroyed too.

I saw some eastern religious shows and they use reincarnation as a theme, but since the universe is so expansive why is earth the only holder of physical bodies or organic entities that can be manifested by souls and conciousness?

How do you know the Earth is the only "holder"?

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
human consciousness is manifested within the central nervous system in my opinion.
certain regions of the brain have been linked with certain consciousness tasks.
the only logical conclusion i find from this observation is that consciousness is manifested threw the materialistic brain.
since the brain can be destroyed, so too can consciousness.

what are you basing "human consciousness cannot be destroyed" on?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheeser
human consciousness is manifested within the central nervous system in my opinion.
certain regions of the brain have been linked with certain consciousness tasks.
the only logical conclusion i find from this observation is that consciousness is manifested threw the materialistic brain.
since the brain can be destroyed, so too can consciousness.

Are you saying that the full panoply of human experience, emotion, success, failure, love, sacrifice and happiness are all due to epiphenomenological foam on the surface of the brain's chemical reactions?

If so, how would you explain how the brain recreates its sensory experience, sitting in complete darkness inside the skull? And who is this complete "I" that is taking in these sensory experiences?

Of course, you have a strong argument but you would have to explain a strong theory of how the brain has the appearance of a central conciousness. and how we can conceive of "reality" outside of our sensory experience.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0
Are you saying that the full panoply of human experience, emotion, success, failure, love, sacrifice and happiness are all due to epiphenomenological foam on the surface of the brain's chemical reactions?

I can't think of any more logical explanation. It has been shown that certain moods and certain emotions correspond to specific molecules released in your brain (endorphin for example) or that the intake of certain drugs can modify your mood and your perception.

The pineal gland releases a molecule that puts you asleep, etc...I could go on and on but it's such a complex organ that we still don't understand it fully.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I take the point Darkside and it is a strong argument but what is this unified 'I' that seems to be relatively constant through a host of experiences. It is in the emotional sphere of existence that I personally feel that Science runs short of proper explanation. It is the emotions that are so strong that they make one feel 'alive' IMHO. Otherwise how do we differ from robots?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by phinubian
I read that the human conciousness cannot be destroyed

Of course they can, the question would be by who. GOD is the one who can destroy a conciousness. In one way of thinking, you can destroy yourself by commiting sin.

i have been pondering on this, if the soul and conciousness are eternal, how is it that only earthen bodies are manifested

The bible says that God has other flake of Sheep, I dout that there was was only one meaning to this saying. Yes others in different religions are saved. But there are probably other life (other than human) that are saved.

As of God, just because you cannot prove it does not mean it not out there. How do you know other life is not out there?

[edit on 7-7-2007 by phinubian]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0
I take the point Darkside and it is a strong argument but what is this unified 'I' that seems to be relatively constant through a host of experiences.

Conscioussness, which is located in the neo-cortex? I think.

It is in the emotional sphere of existence that I personally feel that Science runs short of proper explanation.

Obvioustly, Science is still in it's infancy. You can't expect us to know everything can you. But you can't base the existance of a soul on what we don't know or understand yet.

It is the emotions that are so strong that they make one feel 'alive' IMHO. Otherwise how do we differ from robots?

Isn't that all we are? Biological "Robots" built from genes and designed to survive in a hostile environment (to DNA) in order to carry and replicate genes? One day we will create robots and AI's that will be have emotions, will be self-aware, and much more intelligent than humans. They will also be much stronger and resilient, be immune to disease and ageing. The ultimate lifeform that will render carbon based life obsolete.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheeser

I have read many materials such as quantum physics/mechanics and also revisited psychologists such as Jung, which i studied in Psych a long time ago, but now i am searching for more understanding of self, ego and individual free will, also as i have mentioned many eastern religions, traditions and beliefs use infinite conscious as a theme.

What i wondered is that if the consciousness is energy and it has been stated that energy cannot be created or destroyed, proven by the law of conservation of energy, can that conscious energy simply manifest itelf in living matter or a body(over and over to infinity) as the result of a preprogrammed function, even in the death of the physical body can the energy really be destroyed ? Does conscious have a mission think of DNA as it relates to physical bodies, DNA is pretty much a template or pre programmed function with an outcome leading to a built structure or physical body with specific characteristics, does conscious in the free energy state have a function ? before, after and during a physical life.

And is the earth the only place that these bodies can exist, that is suitable for manifestation of conscious?

[edit on 12-7-2007 by phinubian]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
A person's soul is who they are, their mind, will, emotions, intellect, personality. The body is a "container" for the soul. People also have a spirit(the ability to relate to God). The spirit is dead without Christ.

People's bodies experience death, the soul lives on. One day they are to be reuinted with the body and spend eternity either with or without God.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by dbrandt]

[edit on 12-7-2007 by dbrandt]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The soul is much more than energy. The soul holds the person's life, emotions and much more in it. The soul is everlasting, unless God decides other wise.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
The soul is much more than energy. The soul holds the person's life, emotions and much more in it. The soul is everlasting, unless God decides other wise.

Don't you love it when people say the soul is this and that and they convinced that it's true. We have never found any evidence for a soul so how can you claim to know all it's details so certainly?

It's all speculation, and until proven otherwise consciousness lies in the brain.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Heronumber0, i wouldn't have the faintest clue how this "I" or the self awareness comes about, its one of the greatest mystery of philosophy and science today. but following my own logic i once again come to the conclusion that its manifested within the brain.
say for example "I" has a bad stroke in the frontal lobe and this "I" changes personality, does this mean the "soul" has been altered by this change to the materialistic brain?

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
there maybe plenty of evidence about the soul but you and i are not privvy to it. it is not something you can physically touch or devise a formula to figure out, and science doesn't like these subjective areas, or doesn't like to fund them (ghosts, consciousness, intuition, etc) , so they ignore them and create laws that don't take them into consideration and is the reason we think we know a lot more than we really do.

and No i don't claim to have the answers

when the person dies (physical body) i'm not sure the thoughts and memories dissapear (soul/consciousness) because i think sometimes "something" doesn't want to leave or pass on and feels like it has some unfinished emotions here and that this is what many "ghosts" are the effect of, although i think if you die and have a lack of ill will or emotions left behind, that your soul conscious and memory's due fade away, and that your soul does continue on and joins the pool of universal consciousness/souls and that everytime there is a new birth a piece of the universal consciousness is absored into the mind of a new child and that subconsciously the spirit carry's karma from last lives. now since we think we know that the genetic traits of parents are carried on by children i think the basic genetic traits that a body will take on combined with the living conditions they are born into may be determined by a soul's karma earned (although such person may not have a conscious memory) and those with bad karma are born into people with bigger teachings to learn , and that when your spirit's karma is good and you are ready there may be more levels or dimensions that you can re-incarnate into , this belief is not unchangeable and open to evolving.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Don't you love it when people say the soul is this and that and they convinced that it's true. We have never found any evidence for a soul so how can you claim to know all it's details so certainly?

Can you prove its not there. Just because its not proven does not mean its not there. For the Bible for instance. Did you know that there are cities and civilizations that existed that only the bible talks about.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Can you prove its not there. Just because its not proven does not mean its not there.

No, but since it's a supernatural claim, it doesn't exist until proven otherwise.

For the Bible for instance. Did you know that there are cities and civilizations that existed that only the bible talks about.

Strong evidence that these cities and civilisations never existed.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

No, but since it's a supernatural claim, it doesn't exist until proven otherwise.

LOl now thats funny just because its supernatural you have to prove it. That does'nt even sound like a good claim. What if I am right, and you cant prove it. What true is true. Just because you cant prove it does'nt mean a thing.

Strong evidence that these cities and civilisations never existed.

Maybe you should do a study. Cities where found in the world that do existed. That only the bible talks about. Studing is good.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I dont believe in a god or deity. In my opinion your soul s your feelings, personality, etc. A god has nothing to do with that.

AOL, your post wasn't even related to the original topic.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

LOl now thats funny just because its supernatural you have to prove it. That does'nt even sound like a good claim. What if I am right, and you cant prove it. What true is true. Just because you cant prove it does'nt mean a thing.

Starting your post by a "lol" doesn't make your post very credible. And yes, when you claim something supernatural exists, you have to provide evidence that it does, if not people will dismiss what you say and think your crazy.

Maybe you should do a study. Cities where found in the world that do existed. That only the bible talks about. Studing is good.

Can't you even name one of these "cities"?

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Starting your post by a "lol" doesn't make your post very credible. And yes, when you claim something supernatural exists, you have to provide evidence that it does, if not people will dismiss what you say and think your crazy.

And your claim says he does not exists. Prove it.

Can't you even name one of these "cities"?

I cant think of any right now. I look for them. Just as much as I study you can find out for your self too. For I am not lieing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join