It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Baby Bird (what to do)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I found a little baby blujay yesterday evening. I know ususally you're supposed to just leave them alone and let nature take it's course.... but there was terrible rain last night. It probably would have drowned if I left it.

I plan on taking him to a wildlife rehab ASAP, but I just want to make sure he survives until I get there.

I think he might have a broken wing or leg or both . He's not so young, like newborn. He has his blue feathers and everything, but I'm not sure if he still needs to be fed by hand/mother.

He chirped a little this morning, so I went to check on him. He kind of had his head tilted back, wings spread out. I thought he might be hungry... so I wet a little bit of bread and tried to feed him, but he didn't eat it.

I decided to just leave him alone for a while because I don't want to scare him to death. I checked on him again about half and hour later and he was kinda laying on his side all stiff looking. My heart dropped, because I thought he was dead. I put a glove on and propped him against the side of the little box he's living in at the moment, and he just kinda of leaned there not really holding himself up.

Well now I hear him moving around again. I took a quick peak and he's hobbling around a little... mostly just standing (as best he can with that leg) but atleast he's not just laying down anymore.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to make him more comfortable until I get him to a professional? I'd hate to have him die before I get anywhere... I'd feel so guilty!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
It seems to me like you're doing the right thing. Just to reiterate:

I'd suggest just keeping it as warm and comfortable as possible, offer food and water.

If it doesn't seem to get better and ready to go off on its own, take it to the rescue shelter as soon as possible.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
We have had this happen many times.You could dig up a worm or two and offer that.But really this little fella needs medical help ASAP.We tried going it on our own a few times and lost the birds. I strongly suggest taking it to a proffesional.Good Luck!

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
1, you need to go and get some worms,

Keep them warn and if you can cut them up, (Horrid i iknow) but it may be the only way to get this little fella something to eat, that or try and find small worms,

Sadly Not many survive, so be prepared for it to not make it,

But do all you can and keep it as well as possible,

Put few drops of water on TOP of its beak. Never put water directly into a bird's mouth. It can inhale it and get pneumonia or even drown.

Good luck and please if you feel it may have a chance it may be besdt to drop it to a vet, they will be able to send it to the right place,

Keep us updated

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I recently found unknown species of baby bird wandering in the street yelping and alone. I face the same problem of what to do with it, it was a really young baby bird but it was tall and was almost smooshed by a car. So I caught it which I knew was bad but it was so helpless and cute. I took it to the small willife rehab. Smart thing with the glove and I hope your bird makes it. It turns out the species I found was some kind of swan.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Aww how sad. I hope the little guy makes it. How soon can you get it to a professional?

I have three little mockingbirds in my backyard right now that hatched over this past weekend. They can make quite a racket when their mom comes to feed them!

new topics

top topics

join