It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Did This Start & Who's To Blame?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I've got a question for all you real bright people out there. Where do all these 'cute' internet phrases start? Is there some advisory board that passes these on to the world? Do they just breed like rabbits?What?

I find that there is no impact at all with a thread like: "You have to see this video, OMG it's for real". If it has 'OMG' then it's usually PDS (Pure Damn Sh*t).

And the same with saying "awesome". Things described that way are most likely to be mundane. Is this an offshoot of everyone trying to sound Hollywood?

I'm not ranting per se, but this is ruining our ability to communicate. Niagara Falls is awesome, seeing Brittaney Spears new dress is not. If you see a comet on a sure path for earth, then you might yell "Oh My God", but Rosie O'Donnell on roller skates, while a scary sight, is not worthy.

So where does this start? Who sets the trends for speech? Is it celebrities? Is it books and magazines? Is there a secret government department that sends out really 'cool' people to spread this around? :w:

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
:shk:It's just our civilization in decline, and I know I'm guilty of it to even though I try not to.We just don't have the vocabulary that we used to.And they are definitely not teaching it in school either.I suppose it could be termed a type of "newspeek" or "lazyspeek", whatever you choose.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
You are right, I just wish it was some conspiracy that I could try to stamp out. It is so depressing to see a heading on ATS that says "OMG, You Must Watch This Video!" and it turns out to be one that was debunked ages back, and wasn't even very good then.

Maybe I'm just old, but it used to be that you told a young lady that she was pretty, and she thanked you. Now they ask what's wrong that I'm not beautiful? Your country or your family used to be the things worth dying for, and now it can be a t-shirt.

Depressing.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Language is constantly evolving, it's the nature of the beast. Slang and abrveations are nothing new.

Even you old timers had slang back in the fifties, it wasn't as advanced as the slang these days and as far as I'm aware they add more words to dictionarys than they take out!

50's Slang. Just for the people who like to say "Back in my day".

Agitate the gravel - to leave

Back seat bingo - necking

Frosted - angry

Radioactive - very popular

Word from the bird - the truth

What's buzzin cuzzin - What is new

Hey, is it me or is some of this stuff a tad the same as the wierd stuff these crazy kids keep a cusing down at the 7.

Hmmmmm strange things are a foot at the circle K.

Man I'm getting all frosted, cos I ain't so radioactive and that's the word from the bird.

Peace

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Oh yeah, ChiKey? Bringing in antiquated slang, are we?

How about some 19th century slang:

absquatulate: to take leave, to disappear.

acknowledge the corn: to admit the truth; to confess; to acknowledge one's own obvious lie or shortcoming.

codfish aristocracy: a contemptuous term for people who have made money in business.

Philadelphia lawyer: popularly credited with nearly superhuman intellect by the masses.

Slang of the 19th Century

I could say something about Philadelphia lawyers on the boards, but I acknowledge the corn I'm afraid to and I'm just gonna absquatulate.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Glottochronology, and linguistics are just sooooo coooool.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 11-6-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
hey hey i say awesome! whats wrong with awesome? awww

dope is a good one too

oooh i like that 50s slang1 haha whats buzzin cuzzin cute!

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
OK guys, I admit defeat!
=me

But you are cheering me up.

Keep them coming. I'll just refer back here every time I need a reality check.

All of you are 'cool'.

new topics

top topics

join