It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Licence plate "tagging" conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Aftr reading a report on the BBC web site about the possibility of changing U.K. licence plates to a "tagged" varsion to stop "cloning" of vehicles by criminals wishing to sell stolen cars, evade speed cameras, avoid congestion charges and other traffic offences.

I was wondering if this is just another excuse to make money from the already exploited motorists?

From BBC News:
The number plate system needs to be completely overhauled to beat a rise in "car cloning", police have said.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) says a record number of vehicles are being cloned to escape motoring fines and commit crimes.

Full BBC article

The article goes on to say:

The DVLA is considering forcing all the UK's 1.3 million motorcycles to be fitted with plates featuring electronic tags, which are currently being trialled.

So....mtorcycles would be first?

Imagine the senario:
Every U.K. vehicle has an electronic tag in the licence plate, every road has a series of sensors that registers the users speed over a certain distance of that road.

No cameras, cheaper equipment, and many, many times the amount of recorded offenders breaking the standard speed limits.

"Loads of money"

Is this why they wish to target motorcyclists first?

Also, and most importantly, a biker would rarely, in my opinion, "lend" his or her motorcycle to another user. This would then have the potential to track AN INDIVIDUAL aswell as a vehicle. There goes your privacy!

Criminals who wish to "clone" a vehicle will ALWAYS find a way round the system and I see this as just another way of targetting profit making opportunities from wrongly stereotyped undesirables! ("bikers") and removing the rights to privacy of those people.

Not fair, not right and stupid in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Sounds suspicious to me... I would have suspected the U.S. being the first to do something like this. But it's starting in the U.K. ...

That scenario is quite frightening. Everyone speeds from time to time (usually not by much), so everyone will be caught by this system.

Why are they targeting bikers? If anyone were to be targeted, I would have thought it would be people who consistently endanger other people when they drive.

But then again, that's just not how the government works, is it?

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Nice to finally find someone who thinks this is worth a bit of thought.

I am a biker, although I don't live in the UK anymore, I would flatly refuse to have my plate "tagged". I'ts the individual they're after in my opinion.

Do they really think we're that stupid!

new topics

join