It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoot The Iraqi on line: Art Imitating Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well it takes all kinds, I guess. Apparently he has been shot at 40,000 times and taking donations. It is supposed to be political art, each to his own I guess.

The Iraqi-born artist was speaking to a NEWSWEEK reporter 19 days into a grueling monthlong project that sounds, at first blush, suspiciously gimmicky: until June 4, Bilal is living his entire life inside one room at Chicago’s Flatfile Gallery, which anyone with a Web connection can log on to watch. Oh, and to shoot him. With “Domestic Tension" Bilal has turned his makeshift living quarters into a 24-hour-a-day war zone. Viewers can peep in on him anonymously at any time, and even chat with him online. On the installation’s Web site, his audience can fight for control of the camera and pan it around the room. Since the camera is affixed to a rifle-sized paintball gun—and the Web site has a button that allows viewers to fire the gun—they also have the opportunity to shoot at him, or anything else in his room. Which they have done an astonishing 40,000 times in the project’s first two and a half weeks.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
That is food for thought.

Does he know when they choose to fire on him? It's so horrible to be under 24/7 survellence, I wonder why anyone would volenteer to do it willingly. I guess anything to bring awareness and anything for art.

I think if it's bringing the right kind of awareness then it's worth it, but if it's not and it inadvertantly contribues to more ignorance then it's not worthwhile. (Eg. If it just fulfills the dreams that a bunch of yahoo's have about shooting someone then it's not accomplishing what it needs to, but if it makes people a little aware of what's happening over there, then it's worth it.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
In my opinion, this is the real reason for "ART" .... To put a human face on our attitudes and prejudices and that is what the paintball content of this piece does.

Performance/conceptual art of this type is designed to make the observer think about his own place in his environment and his attitudes toward it.

It's not pretty but I take my hat off to Bilial for this work.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The message of this art piece still alludes me, but that is likely the detriment of having an engineering mind.

Whatever his message though, his determination shows character many of us can only wish we had.

My absolute respect for him.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
go figure...using his little goofy experiment / art to make a point about America in a war with his home country. Now I could see his point IF HE LIVED IN IRAQ NOW AND WAS DOING THIS OVER THERE!! BUT no he is here in america, enjoying the freedom he has been given, making money as a college professor, and i'm sure this website is making him some money....sooooo as far as im concerned he gets no sympathy from me! You left your country to come here...so don't cry about **** and look for compassion while making money off it and living safe here in the US!

and i love how he says he wanted to be closer to his family...well pack up and head home!!!! and if you dont trust us enough to travel back to iraq then you shouldnt trust us enough to live here and use our constitution as a way to spew your crap

[edit on 28/5/07 by shadow_soldier1975]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadow_soldier1975
go figure...using his little goofy experiment / art to make a point about America in a war with his home country. Now I could see his point IF HE LIVED IN IRAQ NOW AND WAS DOING THIS OVER THERE!! BUT no he is here in america, enjoying the freedom he has been given, making money as a college professor, and i'm sure this website is making him some money....sooooo as far as im concerned he gets no sympathy from me! You left your country to come here...so don't cry about **** and look for compassion while making money off it and living safe here in the US!

and i love how he says he wanted to be closer to his family...well pack up and head home!!!! and if you dont trust us enough to travel back to iraq then you shouldnt trust us enough to live here and use our constitution as a way to spew your crap

[edit on 28/5/07 by shadow_soldier1975]

Damn straight! Just like all those people who cheer the war from their couches, and denounce anyone who says anything, at least when it's commercial break. Save us your indignation. You like dead people? You must, you're cheering for the war - go enlist.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Damn straight! Just like all those people who cheer the war from their couches, and denounce anyone who says anything, at least when it's commercial break. Save us your indignation. You like dead people? You must, you're cheering for the war - go enlist.

Agreed. Get the # over there man. Why aren't your boots on the ground in Baghdad? I mean if he's a pussy to dare and leave a war zone from hell and come to America how can you diss him and not be over there? We started this # in Iraq. We are occupying his country. We have been killing his people. What is he doing with his art piece that comes anywhere near killing civilian women or children? Where is your anger over the death of innocents by our military over lies?

Apparently you hate free speech. I think you would feel much more comfortable in Iraq where they are hard at work building a religious theocracy. Bush and his supporters took a secular nation state and turned it into a country without law, civil services, personal security or hope.
NOW a breeding ground for every kind of middle easter terrorist you could shake a stick at. Not before! Iraq is now full of death squads, corrupt politicians (who are going on a two month vacation while our boys die everyday), corrupt police and Iraqi solders that we train during the day that kill our young men at night.

Thanks George W. Bush and his supporters! Nice one!

And you have this much venom to spew at some guy with a silly little web site art piece?

Wow.

People like you fascinate me. It's like watching a car accident. Or a monkey in a cage. Or more precisely, like watching a monkey in a cage involved in a car accident. There is nothing to be learned from the whole disgusting scene. But you have to wonder who let the damn monkey try and drive the car from inside his cage. But it is easy to see why you worship the Chimp.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lexicon Devil
We are occupying his country. We have been killing his people. What is he doing with his art piece that comes anywhere near killing civilian women or children? Where is your anger over the death of innocents by our military over lies?

Not very smart are you Lexicon....HIS COUNTRY....it's no longer HIS country when HE decided to leave it behind because HE said it was a horrible place and moved to where...THE UNITED STATES!!!!! Funny how its HIS country ONLY when it suits him and his "art"! Other then that he enjoys life as an AMERICAN, in america...And HIS people huh...gee, he sure stuck up for his people/family by running to AMERICA...then he admits that Saddam terrorised him and millions of others, but now WE are the enemy...MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!

typical though...none of these people will stay in their own country and fight for it. they are always saying it is so great and that we the big bad USA should leave their country alone. they have this "pride" in their homeland and culture, wave their flags etc...yet.....where do they run to, where do they live, where do they eat, where do they earn their paychecks, where do they go to have the RIGHTS & FREEDOMS to b**** about stuff....AMERICA....none of them will stand up and protest, or DEMAND things back home though...how interesting!

[edit on 30/5/07 by shadow_soldier1975]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
S_S1975

I read this on your profile.........

Comment from: shadow_soldier1975 on: 6-5-2007 @ 03:58 PM
To any and all who agree or disagree with my views please remember one thing: I MAY NOT AGREE WITH A WORD YOU SAY, BUT I WILL DEFEND TO THE DEATH YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT!

Does the Iraqi artist have a right to express himself?
Apparently you have issues, either because he is an Iraqi or an artist and decides to express himself in an unconventional manner.

By the way.....there are more Iraqi refugees in Europe than America.

new topics

top topics

join