It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of Compassion because we are Human

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Apparently because we are human we lack the capability to feel enough compassion for attrocities like Darfur on a grand scale.

'We think . . . our feelings are a trustworthy guide. Our feelings let us down . . . They don't adequately respond to distant mass murder.'
PAUL SLOVIC A new study answers the question: How can we continue to ignore the mass suffering in Darfur?

May 13, 2007 04:30 AM
Andrew Chung

The crisis rages on in Darfur, which some, including the United States and dozens of human rights groups that form the Save Darfur Coalition, have called genocide. Hundreds of thousands killed, millions displaced, and atrocities that continue to mount as Arab militias, backed by the Sudanese government, attack local black populations . . .

Are your eyes glazing over yet?

[Mod Edit: Quote Format. Please see this post. Thank you - Jak]

[edit on 23/5/07 by JAK]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the edit and heads up Jak- new at this.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
That could explain why i'm starting to see so many sudanese people nowaday's around where i live, in Australia.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I don't think being Human has anything to do with it, I think it's the sociopolitical society
that we have been raised in, especially in America where the emphasis on what's important
is to make tons of money and live luxuriously, even if you step on someone's
back along the way.

If we lived in a society where we were raised to care about all people, and to put personal
gain behind helping others, we would'nt have this problem, or at the worst it would be orders
of magnitudes better than it is today.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
When you watch the news it is hard to fathom how the world is so mess up!

I live in Canada and we leave our doors unlocked and have universal health care and a standard of living second to none.

I am truly blessed and I never complain...

The horror in Daufor is a World clamity and the UN and US (bringers of democracy) do nothing.

Even though I know its going on and its insane....its very hard to fathom because our life in Canada is so good.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I agree with you Junglelord. We here in Canada have it pretty good.I posted this article just because it seemed strange to me and I wasn't quite sure I believed it. I wanted to get the opinions of others.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Actually, humans are one of the only animals (if not THE only animal) to feel compassion for others of their group and others of other species. While individuals among animals do act as though they feel compassion (we can't talk to them and say "hey, how do you feel about this?", being compassionate is part of our biochemical and neurological makeup.

We have a set of structures called "motor neurons" that enable us to "mimic" or "feel" what others do.
www.medicalnewstoday.com...

A troop of gorillas don't adopt orphans or offer to feed other troops of gorillas. A pod of dolphins don't help young orphaned orca whales grow to maturity(though an individual may for a short term.)

Domestic cats and dogs may sometimes raise young of other species (including young rabbits) -- but this is not something that many dogs will do. Humans, on the other hand, will adopt and foster orphaned bird, mammals, and all sorts of other wildlife.

Compassion for others is a teaching of almost all other religions (Satanism is the sole exception I can think of, though there may be others. Wicca and Paganism do promote compassion for others in their basic precepts.) Doctors are reminded that compassion can reduce patient anxiety even in the most difficult situations (so the "House" model of physician reaction is actually very harmful to patients and to families.) Patients treated with compassion tend to remember instructions better and have a better outcome (so if you feel your doctor is NOT compassionate towards you, find another one!)
jco.ascopubs.org...

Part of what you're seeing is something called "compassion fatigue"
en.wikipedia.org...

There are so many crises we don't know which ones to cure first... and often we react with inaction. Sometimes we focus on the areas in our lives that need compassion (families are stressed, so if we devote our time and energy to other nations, our own children may suffer.)

NPR has a nice article about this issue in response to Hurricane Katrina-Rita victims. It's a very worthwhile read:
www.npr.org...

We're truly compassionate animals, but we are not endlessly compassionate. And that, perhaps, in the long run is one of our survival mechanisms.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I disagree with you Byrd.

Compasion is shown by many animals.

I have seen Jane Goodall talk about the compassion of chimps, not that they cannot be violent.

I have seen Koko the Gorilla show compassion about many things as she talks ASL to people. Gorillas are very compassionate to their own troop, the fact they do not adopt does in now way mean they are not compassionate.

I think of the mother horse that just lost her foal and the vet said she would morn for 4 to 6 weeks.

Compassion, the ability to feel sorrow and lose, the ability to morn.

Elephants have been shown to have PTS disorder due to their very human emotions and having lived through slaughter of their families and then years later run amok, when in reality we caused their emotional conditon.

the british man who was on national geographic that lived with wolves.
He was never cold, they kept him warm in the rain, in the cold, they showed compassion for he could not keep himself warm.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I don't think being Human has anything to do with it, I think it's the sociopolitical society
that we have been raised in, especially in America where the emphasis on what's important
is to make tons of money and live luxuriously, even if you step on someone's
back along the way.

If we lived in a society where we were raised to care about all people, and to put personal
gain behind helping others, we would'nt have this problem, or at the worst it would be orders
of magnitudes better than it is today.

Lori you hit it right on the head. Here in America, or anywhere people live that provides them freedoms and hot water, air conditioning, and hot food anytime they want, the right to bitch and moan because some cook messed up their $50 dinner meal, etc etc....WE DON'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED!!! Thats sad but the truth! Americans and others will donate millions and sometimes billions to aid those who need it, we do it all the time, but do we actually care...NOPE. If it doesn't affect our daily life, our way of living, or doesn't harm us directly...it's just not important.

There is a small group who reach out and actually dedicate their lives to helping and being compassionate. But it's obviously NOT the majority. I think we ALL have the ability to be very compassionate and make changes and help many, but it's to late. We have spoiled ourseleves and continue to spoil those who are growing up. Basically it's not lookin good

As for animals, IMO, they can be very compassionate as well but I think animals are more instinct. They will kill in a flash. It doesn't matter if it's a family member, rival, pray, intruder, etc... Animals don't stop and think about jail, or emotions... when the time comes they just react!

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
yea and ceaser millan talks to his dogs lol

top topics

join