It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A victim of racial profiling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   

A victim of racial profiling

www.thestar.com

When asked why she was wrongly accused of shoplifting a $10 bra, searched repeatedly, threatened with jail and subjected to an obscene racial taunt by a police officer, Jacqueline Nassiah could muster only one simple, sad reason.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
For anyone who thought Canada was above such things, this is a reminder that all is not well in the 'Land of Polite'. The cops get spanked and the lady gets $20,000.

The arresting officer, Richard Elkington, assumed that because she was black, Nassiah might not speak English. He refused to look at all the evidence, including a security tape, "assuming that the white security guard was telling the truth."

"Officer Elkington was asked to conduct what in ordinary circumstances would have been a routine investigation," Bagambiire said yesterday. "He assumed, for no reason that makes sense certainly to anyone ... that because the subject of the investigation was a black woman, that she perhaps would not speak English."

www.thestar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Dae

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Look at it this way, the story has a happy(ish) ending, the lady has been compensated nicely and changes are going to be enforced amung the police officers. This is a sign of a decent society that appologises and makes changes, lets hope all people are treated with professionalism from security and police, and if not a spanking will be handed out just like the one in this story.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
i am white.

i find so many white people spending all day hating blacks.

quite sad.

i find many whites to be very ignorant.

canada is full of french.

french people are very racist as proved by their racist behaviour n france where blacks are 3rd class people...

your typical sheriff with his broad brimmed hat and fat belly and redneck ways and white trash mother is very ignorant and stupid spending all day stuck in mcdonalds feeding his fat face.

i know one white man who buys bananas every day.

you know what he does with them?

n?.

no! no!

he does not eat them...

he throws them at blacks every time a black appears on the tv screen!

and he shouts and swears using the n word at the tv at the black on the screen.

this is one example of the aryan master race's masterness.

and his poor wife has to keep wiping the screen from the marks.

can i ask if any of you do this?

if so have you sought help?

[edit on 18-5-2007 by esecallum]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Look at it this way, the story has a happy(ish) ending, the lady has been compensated nicely

Yeah apparently money solves everything. This is just one out of so many cases, and most do not have any sort of happy ending. Everytime they say something will change in society it does not. Why not follow up on this happy ending and find out the real truth of the story. I would not not be surprised if she suddenly and unexpectedly finds herself harassed for no good reason, for years down the line. (Let's also see if she actually ever get's any money. Ordered to pay, is not paid out.)

"With the outcome, I see that justice has been served and I'm glad for that," the 40-year-old woman said. "But the fear has changed my life. I'm not the same. I'm not the same."

Four years of trying to get justice, and it had to go all the way to the human rights commision. That should make us shamed that justice for something like this should even take this long, and have to go all the way up to the HRT. Justice too long denied is no justice at all. There are so many other cases waiting to go in front of the tribunal. Sad to say it but more important cases, greater injustices.

Along the way, according to the tribunal decision, Elkington referred to Nassiah as a "f---ing foreigner" and threatened her with jail time if the bra was not produced. Ultimately, Nassiah was released for lack of evidence.

Elkington has since transferred to the Sudbury police department. It's not clear whether he ever faced an internal disciplinary hearing in the case.

"We will be conducting a review of the decision and will comment at the conclusion of that review," said Const. Samantha Nulle of Peel police.

Although Nassiah has received no apology from Peel police or Sears, her case sends a potent message to police services across the country.

No apology for what happened from these people, and just like the Catholic priests who commited crimes, this one get's moved to another department. No disciplinary action, no rebuffs, no appologies, now who believes things are really going to change?

[edit on 27-5-2007 by Harassment101]

new topics

top topics

join