It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small quakes in Yellowstone,

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Seems a series of about 12 small quakes have hit Yellowstone last week according to data thats coming out,

They where deemed about a mag 2.7 which would not have really been felt by people on the ground,

The quakes happened on the southern edge of a volcano caldera which is central in Yellowstone park,

Kinda makes you go hmm and makes you feel a little uneasy. The last time this volcano erupted was 70.000 years ago, Scientists do believe that it will happen again,

www.ksl.com...

lets just hope this isn't rummbling, Though not an un common occourance ...still one to keep an eye on,

[edit on 6-5-2007 by asala]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Ahh, the old Yellowstone topic. Not had a thread about this in a while...

Isn't it "overdue" for an eruption?

That BBC programme "Super volcano" was a rather good look at what might happen.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Isn't it "overdue" for an eruption?

Yeah, it has a super eruption every 600,000 years. The last super eruption was 640,000 years ago...

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
i recall recently reading something about ground swelling in the area. I'll have to go try to find the link, not sure if was an article about an ongoing process or more recent activity.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It will erupt within the next 2 years, inevitably.

From what I understand about it, it is a super volcano that will blow debris as far away as the central great plains.

The reason is because of the fact that it is a huge focal point for pressure, and it has been long feared that if it ever did blow we would have a new inland ocean.

-Shadow

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knightshadowz
It will erupt within the next 2 years, inevitably.
-Shadow

It will erupt in the next 2 years? Possibly, it's also possible that it won't blow for another 20000 years. Averages are just that averages, just since the eruption is overdue, does not mean its impending within the next 2 years.

Just a deviation from the average of only 1% from the 600,000 years norm equates to 6000 years, a 10% deviation = 60,000 years. I think a standard deviation in thsi really not well understood event would be a high deviation. To be conservative maybe place a 15% deviation which would be around ±90,000 years!

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Here is the recent map of the area and activity,

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Is there any way you can produce a map for activity over a longer period?

I ask this because, well, geology takes it's sweet bloody time to get round to doing anything, so a week's worth of data might not show anything significant.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Trying to find longer term info on this...... so far just this small statement,

70 swarms of small earthquakes have occurred in the region between 1983 and 2006

www.billingsgazette.net...

I think its just alittle concerning as there has been a number of small quakes in the US this week,

Fort Drum

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I missed this thread when I posted one just like it earlier today.

Is there anyone out there with the ability to show the recent history of these swarms as a chart/graph so we can get a better idea of a trend in how its all going or would it all mean absolutely nothing to us??

This is substantial stuff here.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Theres definitly a peek since ealry 2000,

Heres a list of recent and updated quakes in the area.

Yellowstone, Quake watch,

Heres is some web cam links,
Webcams for yellowstone,

I guess if we gather as many links and such we can at least keep an eye on things ourselfs, Or have the data we need to keep up todate.

Also an interesting bit of a read,
bssa.geoscienceworld.org...

Posiibley triggered somewhat as stated in 2004, Maybe this could also be simular now,

[edit on 7-5-2007 by asala]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Trying to find longer term info on this...... so far just this small statement,

70 swarms of small earthquakes have occurred in the region between 1983 and 2006

so there has been 70 earthquake swarms in the past 23 years that's an average of three a year.

Are we going to have an article on this every four months?

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Are we going to have an article on this every four months?

See the difference here is that these recent ones where larger than the others have been from what I'm lead to believe, this is why its being reported more this time,

Seems to have got peoples ears to perk up, So I'm sure this will end in nothing but i would say something to just observe,

Will be interesting to see if they simmer out in there MAG or increase,

And with the number of small quakes in the US seeming to be up, You just have to wonder if theres any connection,

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yet another doom and gloom thread here on ATS. These quakes in Yellostone have been going on for years.

Besides, they have been playing the "when will yellowstone erupt" on the discovery channel quite often over the last month or so. I've watched it several times - it's a great show. But - its just a show.

Volcanologists have said they have no way of knowing when ANY volcano will erupt - wheather it's yellowstone, mt. rainier, mt. st. helens, baby krakatoa.

With all the research done on mt. st. helen's since 1980, scientists are no closer to predict volcanic eruptions today then they were 20 years ago.

LETS PUT AN END TO THE DOOM AND GLOOM THREADS....

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

LETS PUT AN END TO THE DOOM AND GLOOM THREADS....

I wish life would allow us to,

But that's fragile earth and it sure is a fragile one,

I'm not sure if this is really a doom and gloom thread rather than one that's just giving information that people want,

Knowledge is the key, Knowing whats going on there is better than running around thinking this place is going to go boom, where really as we are finding out through research that this is quite common, and just a little significant due to the magnitude of the very recent ones,

Sadly though one day this volcano will go, and like you say we just don't know when.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hey everyone....

Here's a post about so far nothing more than an enigmatic headline on The Drudge Report.

Today there was a headline toward the rightside middle stating "Earthquake Swarm Strikes Yellowstone." When you click on the link, it's dead -- no article or other info.

For those curious, here's the link It's a newspaper in the Yellowstone area. From all appearances, it seems the paper pulled the story. It's not on the link above, and a search at the paper's main site fails to turn up the story.

For those of you unfamiliar, Yellowstone (as in the national park, and yes, Old Faithful geisure), is one of the many environmental doomsday scenarios that have some scientists worried. Yellowstone is a caldera volcano, in essence a volcano without the patented cone mountaintop. Instead, past eruptions have formed a crater.

What caldera's become are some of the most destructive volanos the world has ever faced. When these eruptions occur, they spew ejecta from not just a concentrated area, but from miles and miles -- at times hundreds of miles across.

And worldwide, Yellowstone is one of the worst potentials out there....

A full-scale eruption of the Yellowstone caldera could result in millions of deaths locally and catastrophic climatic effects globally...

When Yellowstone Caldera (last) erupted 640,000 years ago it released 1,000 cubic kilometers of material, covering all of North America in up to two meters of debris. By comparison, when Mount St. Helens erupted in 1980, it released 1.2 cubic kilometers of ejecta.

The ecologial disaster from a Yellowstone eruption cannot be fathomed. We're talking hell-on-earth scenes of destruction and a struggle to survive in a post-eruption world that creates a perpetual winter.

Even small caldera-forming eruptions, such as Krakatoa in 1883 or Mount Pinatubo in 1991, may result in significant local destruction and a noticeable drop in temperature around the world. Large calderas may have even greater effects.

The three eruptions happened 2.1 million years ago, 1.3 million years ago, and the most recent such eruption produced the Lava Creek Tuff 640,000 years ago and spread a layer of volcanic ash over most of the North American continent.

And some scientists maintain we are overdue for the next one.....

That's why the "earthquake swarm" is so unnerving. It could be an indication that pressure is building up underneath the ground in the magma chambers. A typical hallmark of a pre-volcanic eruption are shallow, localized earthquake swarms.

Now, on the positive side, earthquake swarms are not unknown in the region, and have yet to lead to any eruption. But this is just another in a series of alarming events in the Yellowstone region during the past decade, including a "bubbling" of Yellowstone Lake's dome as the crust rises from an increase in pressure; gas vents opening in areas previously safe, killing streams of wildlife, particularly moose; and an increase in frequency in the earthquake swarms.

Of all the potentials out there, this one worries me the most because of its lethal reality, and the fact that there are signs pointing to a potential explosion. And unlike nuclear war and even to a lesser extent a comet impact that we can predict far out from the event date and potentially deflect, the Yellowstone eruption could come without warning, and with very little possibility to mitigate or control.

Let's hope this post comes for nothing....

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I did post a news article on ATSNN about this.

It seems to be starting to wake up, which could be a potential nightmare for America and the world.

i'll try and find my thread on

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Aaah, more worrying about Yellowstone

Now, I don't really think that this swarm was much, while it shows up as being a swarm of typical size of magnitude 2, thats still really small, and a swarm is normally a lot more quakes, 50+ is quite common. 12 quakes isn't really many.

This sort of thing happens all the time, it really isn't much to worry about I feel, and just going on about it won't really help at all. For example, February had the most quakes recently, 113;

During the month of February 2007, 113 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone Region. The largest of these shocks was a magnitude 2.9 on February 27, 2007 at 10:45 PM MST, located about 9 miles northeast of Fishing Bridge, Wyoming. This was part of a swarm of 5 events recorded Feb. 27th and 28th. A swarm of 59 earthquakes occurred on Feb. 13 to 22 with the largest a magnitude 2.3, located about 10 miles north of West Yellowstone, MT.

Basically, when considering this, I don't really think that a few magnitude 2 quakes are much to worry about.

And now, repeat after me, 2.1million years ago, 1.3million years ago, 640,000 years ago does not average to every 600,000 years, we aren't overdue. And even if we were, there is nothing short of brilliant evacuation plans to solve the problem.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Even if there is an eruption at Yellowstone, it's far more likely going to be a small one than the doomsday super eruption scenario.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a couple of quakes yet.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Even if there is an eruption at Yellowstone, it's far more likely going to be a small one than the doomsday super eruption scenario.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a couple of quakes yet.

Really now from what I saw on this this will be no mere earthquake try a super volcano-Explain all the hot springs thats not there for good looks.
That Febuary quakes are just babies say a warm up for whats to come. It might not do anything now but who knows when but when it does its going to be massive.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join