It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Va. Tech gunman was stalker; went to mental facility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Va. Tech gunman was stalker; went to mental facility

www.newsday.com

On Dec. 15, a friend of Cho alerted campus police that Cho might be suicidal. Police transported him to Access, a state mental health agency, which arranged for him to be committed for mental health treatment. Flinchum said he did not know the duration of the treatment or whether it was a voluntary or involuntary commitment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well it looks like things are coming out on this person for sure. He should have never been able to buy a gun with any type of mental commitment to a mental hospital.

www.newsday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I wonder if he had a diagnosis of ADHD or something similar and was put on Ritalin, Prozac or any similar prescription drug.

There is a claim that the majority of school shooters in the United States had been diagnosed with ADHD and that they were on anyone of those drugs.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Bandit,

You are 100% correct. I know for a fact the the Columbine shooters were on Prozac. These SSRI's are causing many imbalances that people are not aware of until it is to late.

Here is a link that might help.

America Overdose's on Anti-depressants

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I wonder if he had a diagnosis of ADHD or something similar and was put on Ritalin, Prozac or any similar prescription drug.

There is a claim that the majority of school shooters in the United States had been diagnosed with ADHD and that they were on anyone of those drugs.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It has been widely reported that he was on anti depressants.

In fact, its reported that he had a prescription bottle of them on him, in his backpack when they found him.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

Well it looks like things are coming out on this person for sure. He should have never been able to buy a gun with any type of mental commitment to a mental hospital.

Well, so much for background checks.

I always thought that the profit motive by the gun sellers always override the public welfare.

Way more to this case than meets the eye.
Just way to convenient to have happened during one of the greatest scandal the Whitehorse is facing with the email destruction.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well, they have found that in people who commit acts of violence a decreased activity in the frontal lobe and in the cortexes on the side of the brain. Now, obviously this is a good indicator that these people don't think as we do. Their brain is wired completely different from thet of the average citizen.

Here is a site with information about this based on the research of daniel Amen

Spect Analysis

[edit on 18-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Mod sorry for the long quote but I think this needs to be addressed now.

This person should not have been able to purchase a gun period.

Gun Control Act of 1968

9) Congress established the federal regulatory foundation in the Gun Control Act of 1968,(10) which prohibits the sale of long guns (rifles and shotguns) and handguns to anyone who is: (1) not a resident of the state in which the federal firearms dealer does business;(11) or (2) under eighteen years old for long gun purchases and twenty-one years old for handguns.(12) In addition, the Act prohibits the sale of firearms to anyone who is: (1) under indictment for or has been convicted of a "crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year";(13) (2) a fugitive from justice;(14) (3) an illegal narcotics user or addict;(15) and (4) either an adjudicated mental defective or someone who has been committed to a mental institution.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The article says he was committed at one point, either voluntary or not, proper documentation should have prevented him from ever legitamately purchasing firearms. Either the background checks are not sufficiently searching mental health databases, or the physchiatrists who worked with him should have direct blame for why he was able to purchase his weapons. While one of the "stalked" girls obtaining a court restraining order would've also denied him any chance of buying any of these weapons; I believe this massacre would have been carried out with illegal firearms..

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
CNN has done an article on this angle, apparently his commitment to a mental facility was not involuntary and therefore he wasn't technically committed.

The Virginia State Police Web site features a 16-question "Firearms Purchase Eligibility Test." The site says that answering yes to any of the queries means a person may not be able to purchase a firearm.

Question 9 states: Have you ever been adjudicated legally incompetent, mentally incapacitated, or been involuntarily committed to a mental institution?

Because Cho was not involuntarily committed to a mental institution, his appearance before the judge and his evaluation at a mental health facility did not show up when he bought the guns.

Special Justice Paul M. Barnett, who filled out the certification and order for involuntary admission to a mental health facility, checked the box that said: "The alternatives to involuntary hospitalization and treatment were investigated and deemed suitable."

"Only if I order them into a hospital is there any effect on their gun rights," Barnett told CNN on Wednesday.

CNN Article

I'm not at all familiar with Virginia law but it seems that the judge has the option to "refer" someone to a mental health facility instead of ordering it. Since he was "referred" it isn't consider a "commitment" and doesn't show up when they do a background check for gun purchases.

My gut guess would be the reason they allow this is a budge purpose .. if the judge requires them to be committed I imagine the state has to reimburse the mental facility for their cost.

I'm surprised a judge is involved at all. Here in California if the peace officer feels someone is a danger to themselves/others they can order a 72 hour hold for evaluation ... of course the mental facility can let them go 5 hours later if they feel they are no longer a danger.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Why even though he was deemed " A danger to himself and others " was he allowed to be an "outpatient"

Then buy guns ?

ridiculous

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
So yet another person with a known record of psychological issues was able to buy a weapon with no red flags?
Yeah, reasonable gun-control laws are SO un-necessary.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
So yet another person with a known record of psychological issues was able to buy a weapon with no red flags?
Yeah, reasonable gun-control laws are SO un-necessary.

Its so ridiculous it makes you think it was allowed to happen .
Im researching this case to see if there any similarities to the Loughner case and there are quite a few

Anyone know who the guy with him in that photo above is ?
edit on 14-3-2011 by Doomzilla because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join