It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats first 100 days......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
If I recall correctly.......Nancy Pelosi stated that the 'new' democratic congress would accomplish a great number of 'solutions'......

It's now been 100 days........what has the 'new' congress actually accomplished?

[edit on 10-4-2007 by ferretman2]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
They have taken the first steps in ending a crazy, ill conceived, war in Iraq.

Next I hope they start investigations on behalf of the US taxpayer, in the no bid contracts awarded the war profiteers.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Next I hope they start investigations on behalf of the US taxpayer, in the no bid contracts awarded the war profiteers.

And in the mean time they should investigate on behalf of the US taxpayer where babies come from.

I think the Democrats accomplished a lot. The media has been all over the Democrats what with all the warhawking 'OMG, the Iranians are terrorist shoot them!'.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Have they worked a 5 day work week yet? They promised that, but being they are on a 2 week Easter Vacation right now, I seriously doubt it.

I'll give them one thing, they sure are working hard for defeat in Iraq. As for working for bettering America, they have done nothing!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Have they worked a 5 day work week yet? They promised that, but being they are on a 2 week Easter Vacation right now, I seriously doubt it.

they've had plenty of five day work weeks already. i can't remember which weeks they were, but most of them so far have been 5 days.

I'll give them one thing, they sure are working hard for defeat in Iraq.

we're out of the cold war, this isn't an "us versus them" situation, it's an "them versus them and we're in the f'in way" situation. there is no victory for america in iraq, the only victory left in iraq is for the iraqi people to claim themselves.

As for working for bettering America, they have done nothing!

they're trying to get our troops out of the way of a civil war, that's a good way to better the country. they're pushing for universal healthcare, that's a way to better our country. hell, they've extended the legilative work week to a full 5 days, i'm sure that's a good thing.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
If I recall correctly.......Nancy Pelosi stated that the 'new' democratic congress would accomplish a great number of 'solutions'......

It's now been 100 days........what has the 'new' congress actually accomplished?

[edit on 10-4-2007 by ferretman2]

The only thing I know that she has accomplished so far is breaking the law, (like John Kerry did during the Vietnam War), by taking it upon themselves to talk to a foreign country without the authority to do so.

The law is called the "Logan Act" which is over 200 years old, that was put in place by the 2nd President of the US to prevent another citizen, no matter who they are, to try to influence US Foreign Policy without the governments consent or knowledge.

Logan Act

The Logan Act is a United States federal law that forbids unauthorized citizens from negotiating with foreign governments. It was passed in 1799 and last amended in 1994. Violation of the Logan Act is a felony, punishable under federal law with imprisonment of up to three years.

The text of the Act is broad and is addressed at any attempt of a US citizen to conduct foreign relations without authority.

Text of the Logan Act

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

Scope and Intent of the Act

In general, the Act is intended to prohibit United States citizens without authority from interfering in relations between the United States and foreign governments.

I don't think anybody can say her trip to Syria was to meet old "school chums" from college!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The Democrats next violation of the Logan Act may be an excursion to Iran.

The funny thing is some Democrats are refusing to talk to FOX News, but are chomping at the bit to talk to Iran's leader, Ack-im-in-a-jihad.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
The Democrats next violation of the Logan Act may be an excursion to Iran.

technically she wasn't violating the logan act as pelosi wasn't really making foreign policy decisions.

The funny thing is some Democrats are refusing to talk to FOX News, but are chomping at the bit to talk to Iran's leader, Ack-im-in-a-jihad.

well, i'd refuse to talk to a network that was as ignorant, blatantly misinforming, overtly one-sided, and hypocritical as fox news.

remember, reagan talked to the soviets, our worst enemies at the time. does that make him a traitor?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

remember, reagan talked to the soviets, our worst enemies at the time. does that make him a traitor?

I would hardly consider Iran a "SuperPower." When we talked with the Soviet Union, there was give and take on both sides. Iran has nothing to offer us, other than what was laid out by the U.N.. Are we supposed to go to Iran and beg them to comply with U.N. resolutions?

[edit on 12-4-2007 by RRconservative]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

technically she wasn't violating the logan act as pelosi wasn't really making foreign policy decisions.

She went to Syria clearly for political reasons without the authority to do and spoke to another countries leader. It is even against the US Presidents current policy to visit Assad.

Pelosi's Syriana

If Pelosi's Tuesday logic -- meet with Assad, but not Bush -- doesn't work for you, consider her spin on her recent trek to the Middle East. Rep. Tom Lantos, D-Calif., chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, joined Pelosi at her press conference, where he crowed, "It was on a scale of 10, a 10, and the United States foreign policy was dramatically advanced by the speaker's mission."

Funny, when in Syria, Pelosi said, "There is no division on policy between us and President Bush -- be it on Israel, Palestine or Syria."

Sooooooo: The Pelosi mission was a 10 out of 10 -- because Pelosi and company advanced Bush's foreign policy? It helps if you forget that while in Israel, Lantos announced, "We have an alternative Democratic foreign policy." And forget that the Bush policy is to not call on Assad. I don't understand why Pelosi can't be honest about the fact that she was deliberately undercutting Bush.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

She went to Syria clearly for political reasons without the authority to do and spoke to another countries leader. It is even against the US Presidents current policy to visit Assad.

Pelosi's Syriana

If Pelosi's Tuesday logic -- meet with Assad, but not Bush -- doesn't work for you, consider her spin on her recent trek to the Middle East. Rep. Tom Lantos, D-Calif., chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, joined Pelosi at her press conference, where he crowed, "It was on a scale of 10, a 10, and the United States foreign policy was dramatically advanced by the speaker's mission."

Funny, when in Syria, Pelosi said, "There is no division on policy between us and President Bush -- be it on Israel, Palestine or Syria."

Notice you leave out one detail that republicans went to Syria to talk to before Nancy did. The Right wing and Corporate Media leaves that detail out.

You might want to INCLUDE that in your next round of talking points.
But then if you did that, this story would be a non starter. Which pretty much is anyways.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Let's see what Conason has to say about this:

www.salon.com...

In the New York Post she was accused of "making a date with a terrorist." On the NewsMax site she was portrayed as "appeasing dictators in the Middle East." In the Washington Post she was ridiculed for attempting to mount a "shadow presidency." And on CNN, she was mocked for planting a "big wet kiss" on Assad as a "publicity stunt." Yet those furious complaints were all false and, more important, beside the point. The problem is not what Pelosi did or said, but how she exposed the exhaustion of neoconservative policy.

I swear some people on here have such a talking point sheep mentality. And I have to wonder if it's triggered by emotional trauma?

You are out of the majority of America's worldview. You *just don't* get it. Cheney negotiated with Saudi Arabia and they co-sign terror on our military. You didn't mention that,do you? That's what you do. You don't live in some fantasy Armchair General Patton theatrical war game. You have to face reality.

The Republicans and Conservatives would rather demonize a side when you probably picked some of the biggest corrupt inept losers in our HISTORY. And you are going to have to live with that. NOTHING what Pelosi does will even come close to this administration's ineptitude. What are you going to bring up the headscarf? When Condi and Laura wore one to International visits?

And while you ponder on that, how about this little fun fact: 70 percent of the country believes what most of us believe that Negotiation is a must. The republican party ideas suck for America. For Big Business it's splendid, for America? It's a utter disaster.

And while you spout a talking point or rant and rave about "Nancy" Let's remember the republican party cut the most in funding for Veterans and the Military. And you can pretend it's not true but it is and you need to wake up and look at their voting record instead of their talking points and sound machine. But that's a proven cold hard fact. That the Republicans voted to undermine the military in funding and healthcare.

Sorry, but that;s the great thing about a voting record. You can see where the votes went and who voted for what. And in the 12 years of power these backstabbing hypocrites voted to cut the Military to ribbons. Yet that's NOT on corporate news at all. Republicans are so obsessed with privatizing everything they are ripping this country apart and suffocating America in general.

The U.S. lost as soon as you didn't leave after we pulled Saddam out of Power. The U.S. lost and you still don't get it because you are in this pseudo jingoist headtrip.

Wave the flags and show your avi's of supporting the military. But it's all b.s. To support this military is to get them back to their families.

You see what that suicide bomber did today? NONE of the Kool aid drinkers can do a damn thing about it. We have caused enough grief for enough families and enough lives have been destroyed over trigger happy conflict freaks.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by MRGERBIK]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
For any member of Congress, whether Republican or Democrat, to attempt to hijack US foreign policy as Speaker Pelosi did is in definate violation of the Logan Act. If any one of us do so, it is in violation of the Logan Act. It should be enforced, period.

The only person, or persons, who are allowed by law to deal with foreign gov'ts, is the President or his designated representitive. It isn't about party affiliation, or shouldn't be, its about what's legal.

Pelosi overstepped her bounds bigtime. So did the GOP members who went. Congress needs to sit the F down, and shut the F up. If they want to alter foreign policy they need to do it the only way they are mandated to, by controlling the purse strings.

[edit on 13-4-2007 by seagull]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
That is EXACTLY the point I've been trying to make!

I don't think some people realize the damage that can be done by people, particularly government employees (or even famous people), trying to influence or undermine the Presidents foreign policy can do.

It doesn't really matter what party they are from. (Pelosi is just the most recent and obvious one I know of right now)

It makes our President and our government look weak.

The 2nd President of the US realized this over 200 years ago,

[edit on 13/4/07 by Keyhole]

ape

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

they're trying to get our troops out of the way of a civil war, that's a good way to better the country. they're pushing for universal healthcare, that's a way to better our country. hell, they've extended the legilative work week to a full 5 days, i'm sure that's a good thing

first of all madness the iraqi people dont even consider what's going on a 'civil war', this was confirmed a couple months ago when a survey was done with iraqi citizens. you're just echoing the main stream media who's agenda is to get democrats elected and they keep force feeding democratic talking points down our throats. I know people serving in iraq, them and the iraqi people do not consider it a civil war.

secondly please explain to me how universal healthcare is better for this country? you want the governent in control of healthcare when they cannot even enforce our borders and have sold US tax payers out on that issue, they can't even control current spending. oh yeah not to mention they refuse to adress the entitlement crisis we are already facing with social secrurity... the US federal government is a joke and should not have the responsibility of healthcare.

It's unfathomable to me how people can support complete government control over the individual.... that's anti-american.

democrats are toast in 08, they can't even get votes unless they bride with pork. independents won the 06 election for them, that will not happen in 08. I mean look at these jokers, they refuse to participate in DEMOCRATIC debates just because it is sponsored by fox news.. thats pathetic. moveon has them by the jewels. haha.

jeez, all this time and you still have not learned anything about politics.

[edit on 13-4-2007 by ape]

ape

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

uhm first of all she said israel was ready to make peace, and mispoke for israel which promted a quick reaction/response from israel. so please get your facts straight. you're either intellectually dishonest or just misinformed.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This is news you won't get on Faux or CNN, the Conservative News Network:

Pelosi: End of First 100 Days Is Only the Beginning of a New Direction for All Americans

WASHINGTON, April 13 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Speaker Nancy Pelosi released the following statement today on House Democrats' accomplishments during the first 100 days of the 110th Congress, which ends on Saturday, April 14.

"From the first hours Democrats held the majority in Congress, we have
worked to provide a new direction for the American people.
"Beginning with the first 100 hours, the House passed, with broad
bipartisan support, legislation to make America safer at home; make our
economy stronger and fairer; make college more accessible; make health care more affordable; advance embryonic stem cell research; and bring us closer to our goal of energy independence. We restored openness and accountability to our government with tough ethical reforms.
"In the first 100 days, Democrats provided our nation with a long
overdue new direction on the war in Iraq that supports both our troops and
our veterans. We restored fiscal responsibility with a budget that reflects
our American values, extends health care coverage to uninsured children,
provides aid to the survivors of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and restores
critical funding for education, law enforcement, and medical research.
"This week, we mark the end of the first 100 days, but only the
beginning of a new direction for all Americans. Democrats will continue to
defend our country and grow our economy while restoring confidence in the Congress and our government."

SOURCE Office of the Speaker of the House

Let's review 12 years of GOP control accomplishments:

Terri Schiavo, Dead.
Abortion, Legal.
Gays, still Gay.
Paris Hilton, Richer.
Working class, Poorer.
Medicare Part D, Clustermucked.
Gas prices, Astronomical.
Environment, Fecked.
Iraqis, Free Health Care
Americans, Can't Afford Health Care
Osama, Free as a Bird!
8 Trillion, Spent.

The "permanent" majority.

ape

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
wow thats pretty pathetic rant, I will not even go into depth about what you posted and will leave that to the conservatives and republicans on this forum. honestly what you posted is rather sad and very misinformed.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ape
wow thats pretty pathetic rant, I will not even go into depth about what you posted and will leave that to the conservatives and republicans on this forum. honestly what you posted is rather sad and very misinformed.

Please oh wise one, tell me what Rush Limbaugh says contrary to popular public opinion.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Let's review 12 years of GOP control accomplishments:

Terri Schiavo, Dead.
Abortion, Legal.
Gays, still Gay.
Paris Hilton, Richer.
Working class, Poorer.
Medicare Part D, Clustermucked.
Gas prices, Astronomical.
Environment, Fecked.
Iraqis, Free Health Care
Americans, Can't Afford Health Care
Osama, Free as a Bird!
8 Trillion, Spent.

The "permanent" majority.

Which part isn't true APE?

Did ya find WMD's in ya closet since the last post?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join