It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your life exists a few short hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I want to go out on a limb here from what I usually say to propose my thoughts on the idea that we pretty much live in the here and now. It is open for discussion and I am sure someone will post a link or two to some similar line of thought that will be educational for anyone interested.

I started to think about the how people try to prove the existence of Jesus, or maybe who killed JFK, and I have to admit that we really have no solid proof for anything outside of our own conscience of what is happening right now.

I still find that hard to believe in only being in the moment, but the bible agrees that the past is over, the future is out of our grasp, and all that is left is now.

Without making it that difficult, I wondered everyone elses thoughts who have entertained this idea what they make of it and how to use it to our advantage between the ideas of time and the world and reconciling it with something timeless and eternal.

I would like to say that just because I remember when I was 3 years old, does not mean that it happened. Before that age, I cannot remember anything so does this mean it never occurred? Physical evidence is never 100% accurate and can be tainted, so I cannot accept it.

The past may be a memory, but so is watching a movie set in the 1800's. Neither one means I was there.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
In my esoteric studies, especially Zen; being able to stay in the moment is paramount to being "enlightened."

Even with my years of chanting and meditation, I don't feel enlightened. Actually about all I have experienced is a deep calm and that is usually pretty short lived as life intrudes and the future and past become tangible once again.

I guess the main benefit from my rituals is that my neurosis [is this old dated term still allowed] is almost under control. The past and the future are an integral part of my psyche; I just don't worry about them anymore. Inner peace is not to be underestimated.

My "what if" mind set used to be so pronounced that I sought solace in booze and drugs and it damn near killed me.

Namaste

whaaa

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
In my esoteric studies, especially Zen; being able to stay in the moment is paramount to being "enlightened."

Even with my years of chanting and meditation, I don't feel enlightened. Actually about all I have experienced is a deep calm and that is usually pretty short lived as life intrudes and the future and past become tangible once again.

You know though I feel enlightened within Christianity because I believe the actual message that all sins are forgiven. I actually take every thought and apply it to that measure, which means I role-play and pretend to be God and forgive the most vile characters on the planet. I do not have to do so, I can just live the life of an eye for an eye, but I choose to understand this concept of forgiveness so I study why all sins must be forgiven. With this, I feel that I have found something that the world does not practice. Even Christians who profess the leader of this philosophy do not actually practice the meat of this belief.

Solitary, meditation can be beneficial in any task in studying what is valid and what is not. Don't underestimate your ventures. They may have done you more good than you know, but that is for you to find out.

But, I am glad you see the point that when the past or present comes to mind, it kind of throws a wrench into the groove of feeling at peace. I guess that is the evil coming in where it should not be, or whatever you want to call it.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Unfortunatley, forgiveness is something that christianity preaches and teaches, but is something that very few people live by. I read a book that changed the way I look at things, conversations with god. I dont know if you have read it but if you havent you should. It talks alot about how there is no hell, and everyone no matter how cruel they were on this earth are forgiven. It makes sense to me, why would god a higher being create us, give us free will and then punish us in the end for things we have done in life? If we are all his children, how would he damn us for mistakes we have made? I know being a father there is nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing that my kids could do that I wouldnt forgive them for, nothing that would cause me to disown them. It is a great series of books, really gets your mind thinking. Religion is used as a tool for control, I believe one of the greatest quotes i can think of is from Timothy Leary, think for yourself, question authority.

new topics

top topics

join