It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATHEISM: The Stupidest Religion of All

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Atheism is a belief system, not a religion.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
"Because I don't have a faith of worshipping cows mean I have a faith of not worshipping cows? If so than so be it!"

[Edited on 1/4/2004 by DiabolusFireDragon]

I agree with you DiabolusFireDragon just because I dont believe there is a two headed elephant sitting in my garden does this mean I am part of a religion who does not believe there is a two headed elephant in my garden.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is just another misleading statement about atheism.
Atheism is not a religion period.
What's the difference?
The big difference is that atheism does not believe in
god or the gods and goddesses.
There is no belief in the supernatural or in any divine
powers whatsoever.

Atheism may be a way of life to some and it definitely
is a philosophy.
But a religion it is not.

As for being the most stupid religion of all
that is debatable.
When you look at some of the most bizarre
and strangest of cults that we have in existence today,that is a difficult statement
to accept.

As far as I know atheists haven't commited
any acts of animal or human sacirifices,practice polygamy on religious grounds, pray to stone statues, go into trances to speak with spirit deities, make
ridiculous predictions about the future based
on some written scriptures, forbid people to
work on certain days considered holy etc
etc, on and on ad nauseam.

And you still think atheism is the stupidest
of religions?
Personally I think this is the most ridiculous
of statements.

[Edited on 5-1-2004 by yogibear]

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I think what you'll get out of this thread is that Atheists are humans, just liek everyone else, and they have the same failings as any religious person would. Which also means that they can occassionally try to 'evangelize' their beliefs as a religious would. The individual atheist can be just as 'fundamentalist' as anyone else.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Just because you are an Atheist doesn't mean you are not spiritual. You don't have to be religious to be spiritual and have to have beliefs in things others may not understand. It's up to people to decide for themselves what the believe in this world, it shouldn't be told to you.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
Will MOST LIKELY NEVER AGAIN believe any other religion as long as they live - even if they are a priest. This website, when read in FULL wipes out any belief you have in God because you realize the senseless stupidity of it. If, on the other hand, after reading the entire website and all the chapters of that book you still believe, I'd like to know what caused your silly little mind to close shut so tightly. If you refuse to read it, you're afraid I may be correct - it is very interesting and fun to read so you shouldn't get bored. You have nothing to lose, give it a chance. You'll see the world differently after this.

www.jovialatheist.com...

check it out.

No offense, but that's about the most idiotic thing I think I've ever seen anyone post. You think a website is going to convert people???

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Clear...the stupidest color of all.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
Originally posted by Satyr

You'll have to explain to me where the conflict is, because I'm not sure I see what you're getting at. Are you trying to tell me that I'm incapable of doing nice things because I'm not religious? If so, that's ridiculous.

Not at all, Satyr- quite the contrary and opposite of that supposition-but I will say this, you had me figured wrong- and if you read the part of your post I am talking about, which I did not quote in this thread, and think about it carefully, and then read what is here.
Seek, and you will find. Prayer is good- and I am not aware of anybody being placed in peril from praying. And, I might add, prayer has been quite educational and knowlegeable to me. My Guardian Angel and God has sure walked many a mile with me...Lol..if all only knew! And saved myself from many dangers I put myself in.

I suppose speaking in riddles makes you feel more mysterious?
Why don't you get off your spiritual horse and actually say something that makes sense? This is nothing but psychobabble to me. BTW, you mispelled "knowledgeable".

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
For all those who think atheism can have no set of beliefs or rules-
www.the-brights.net...

Atheists are people. Just all all religions don't have the same set of rules, but that they have rules, atheism itself, in some forms, can become and organization with set rules. It's human nature. The Brights very mission statement says that they are free of supernatural elements. That is a declaration of 'disbelief' in the supernatural, not simply an absence of belief. Of course, not all atheism is like this, but all religion isn't like Christianity either.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Atheism is a religon no religon is stupid i reckon

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I personally have no problem with people being Athiests. In fact, I'm more concerned with people who don't care enough to even think about GOD. These are the truly lost ones.

Making mistakes is an excellent way to learn and grow. I'd just add that you (if you're an Athiest) consider the magnitude and implications of your decision if you are wrong.

But above all, keep searching. Keeping pondering the question. GOD will reveal himself to you if you are open to it. If you're not open to it, GOD will respect your free will to choose not to be with him.

I pray for you all.

Peace,

+Jammer

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jammerman

Making mistakes is an excellent way to learn and grow. I'd just add that you (if you're an Athiest) consider the magnitude and implications of your decision if you are wrong.

+Jammer

As an atheist, I've spent alot of time evaluating the implications of Pascal's Wager. I've come to my own personal decision that if there is a supreme intelligent being that ultimately cares about how we lead our lives that they would be more inclined to accept those who have learned to think for themselves and find the true answer as opposed to blindly following the blind. If there is a god that wants me to "fall in" and live my life in ignorance then I want no part of it... even if it means an eternity in Hell.

[edit on 5-2-2007 by Logic616]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
First and foremost Atheism is not a religion.

I think all open-minded people, religious and non-religious, would agree that religion was and still is the cause of many atrocities. One argument for this could be that man misunderstood the scriptures.

(Argument or excuse?)

We all think we live in a democracy, that is infact under the influence or Christianity. Answer me this: How is it a democracy when it's influenced by a religion; that is utimately just a dictatorship.

The proverb "Don't hate the player, hate the game" should be taken into account.

.:*IM*:.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Oh.
On the subject of "the most stupidest religion"
It has to be "Jedi knights"

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
i think religion is more closley tied in with politics then any philosophy about life..lol...i dont know many athiests that align themselves with lenin and marx..lol..thats like saying hitler was a christian leader..or how about osama..does he represent all the muslims...atheism is the absence of religion, in all forms...no worshipping,no stupid traditions started by MAN..not jesus....atheism is the opposite of religion...besides..if you classify it as a religion..why is it the stupidist in your opinion???? i think the realians are fairly stupid aswell

I'm confused. Are you saying that Atheism is a stupid 'religion' or are you being sarcastic?

As an Atheiest I believe Atheism is just a belief system and (to my knowledge) hasn't had zealots/fundamentalists destroy other religions, kill 'pagans and heathens', burn books etc.

Also, in response to those that call Atheism 'immoral', it is in-fact possibly more 'moral' than Christianity. Atheists don't need a religion to tell them what not to do, they just listen to their conscience.

Originally posted by Infinite motion
We all think we live in a democracy, that is infact under the influence or Christianity. Answer me this: How is it a democracy when it's influenced by a religion; that is utimately just a dictatorship.

It's not a dictatorship it's a theocracy, though I do agree with you.
The funniest thing is, all those people that accuse Bush of being an 'evil Satanist' don't seem to notice that he's instituted several fundamentalist Christian initiatives that show that, in the U.S, separation of 'church and state' has been reversed by good ol' Dubya.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Correct. I know the goverment under the influence of religion is a theocracy.
But i was imposing that religion it's self is a dictatorship.

Not the goverment/religion co-operative rule.

thanks

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infinite motion
Oh.
On the subject of "the most stupidest religion"
It has to be "Jedi knights"

nah, at least they acknowledge that their religion is purely fictional

though i'm surprised that this thread hasn't been canned, i'm happy that so many people are stepping to defend atheism/ts

edit: atheism is a religion like bald is a haircolor

[edit on 2/7/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I think it may just take people a little longer to find their own religion. I don't think God minds us trying to explore our religion and ask questions but totally not believing their is a power greater then us out there is really being closed minded.

I was raised a catholic but always questioned my religion growing up feeling it was fake. Now I realize through much reading is it's being portrayed wrong to the children which of course makes it sound fake at a young age.

For example: statement like" if you do this your going to hell" or "that is gods will and thats just the way it is."

I'm sure God himself doesn't mind us having the truth about him and in turn having a better understanding of humanity itself. Knowing now that there were many books of the bible not included in the current bibles we all use makes me think I was right all these years to question religion because there were too many loose ends that were unexplained.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Athiest = Not Brainwashed

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jammerman
I personally have no problem with people being Athiests. In fact, I'm more concerned with people who don't care enough to even think about GOD. These are the truly lost ones.

This is a really nice thing to say!

As an atheist, I personally have no problem with people being Christian!

Until they start to proselytize, or try to convert the government to their faith based views, or kill people for going against their views...

I feel that the most fundamental Christian doctrines are great, but nobody practices them. Be kind, love, don't kill... You should do these things because they are the right thing to do, not just to receive your reward in the afterlife! I try to be kind and help people because that is what life is all about, we all have to live together. I try to live a righteous life, because it is the only one we get.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join