It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATHEISM: The Stupidest Religion of All

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   

The Amish don't go door-to-door or kill...are they not religious?

Yes...but you were claiming that atheism was a conspiracy for control....when in the past, religion was the tool used for control, just as it is with the Amish. Don't the Amish use religion for control of their flock?
In other words, it's pretty clear to see where the real conspiracy is here....

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

The Amish don't go door-to-door or kill...are they not religious?

Yes...but you were claiming that atheism was a conspiracy for control....when in the past, religion was the tool used for control, just as it is with the Amish. Don't the Amish use religion for control of their flock?
In other words, it's pretty clear to see where the real conspiracy is here....

Of coarse religion is control...and atheism is another form of control (religion). The reasons why atheism and religion are VERY interchangeable in your complexities are because they are the same thing.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
What!?!? You agree with NEO even though he says that you can not know if there is/isn't a "God", yet you seem to be certain that there is. Make up your mind and quit flip flopping.

NotTooHappy, get with the program. Where in this thread did I said I believe there is or isn't a God? I didn't, thank you very much.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Ahh, but if Atheism is a tool of control....how is this control used?

For example, in a normal religion, I can threaten the followers' souls in the afterlife, if they don't do my bidding.... I hardly have the same level of control over an atheist who would simply say "go f yourself"

There has to be an agenda, for there to be control...and there must likewise be consequences for not adhering to the controller. With atheism, there are no consequences, hence, no control.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperspace
Atheism is a religion. Whether it fits technically with the semantics or not is not a concern of mine; the practical definition of religion is what matters to me, not the letter of the law.
Fine, let's see how your "practical" definition fits in with atheism

And the practical definition, distasteful though it may be to those who disdain religion in all its forms, is that the very thing most atheists hate is what they have become: a religion, with clearly defined rules, eschatology and a philosophy by which to live.
Atheists don't hate religion, they just aren't gullible and don't fall for obvious lies of religion that others fall for. No hating!
Would you please name some of those clearly defined rules? And of course please point out WHERE that rule is defined, if it's so clear to you.

Religion is a means of understanding our existence.
Is it really? I think science is the means of understanding our existance, not religion. Religion is the means of "makign sh1t up" about our existance and then claiming it to be true under threat of heresy.

Atheism fits that bill.
It fits that bill, but religion doesn't fit that bill.
Religion is a philosophy of life.
Philosophy is based upon understanding of existing phenomena, religion is making things up that no one has ever seen, then pretending like it's a given and demanding belief.
So is atheism.
Atheism may fall in that category, but not religion. Atheism believes nothing, it strives for knowledge of all things, not gullible belief and "pretend knowledge".
Religions have its leaders, the preachers of its tenets.
Having leaders/preachers doesn't make something a religion. Governments preach. Army generals preach. Your mother preaches. Does that make everything a religion? I sure hope not!
So does atheism (Nietzsche, Feuerbach, Lenin, Marx). Religion has its faithful believers, who guard the orthodoxy of the faith.
Atheism HAS no believers, sorry to burst your bubble. The whole point of Atheism is LACK of belief, but rather scientific observation of phenomena that didn't originate in the phantasy section of your brain.
So does atheism. And religion is a matter of faith, not certainty.

Atheism is a conspiracy to control you by making you think you�re free of religion, when in reality; you�re just another religious puppet.
Atheism has no doctrines, and no one forces you into it by creating "atheistic" wars that kill millions and then kill you for not following it, as most religions did/do. Conspiracy? I'd say only blind belief/following/worship of an invisible guy whose existance can't even be detected or attributed to any natural phenomena is conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Ahh, but if Atheism is a tool of control....how is this control used?

For example, in a normal religion, I can threaten the followers' souls in the afterlife, if they don't do my bidding.... I hardly have the same level of control over an atheist who would simply say "go f yourself"

There has to be an agenda, for there to be control...and there must likewise be consequences for not adhering to the controller. With atheism, there are no consequences, hence, no control.

Fear is a one way to control (like your example about souls in the afterlife). Another way of control is rewards. It is rewarding for some to feel that they can "sin" and not be accountable (by God). An atheist is being controlled by the belief that he/she is not being controlled (held accountable by God). A false freedom if you will. There is MANY ways to control someone and some are very paradoxical in nature.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Fear is a one way to control (like your example about souls in the afterlife). Another way of control is rewards. It is rewarding for some to feel that they can "sin" and not be accountable (by God). An atheist is being controlled by the belief that he/she is not being controlled (held accountable by God). A false freedom if you will. There is MANY ways to control someone and some are very paradoxical in nature.

No, an atheist isn't controlled by the belief that they are not being controlled.
We are all controlled, that much is true. But in order to retain that control, our controllers created a false impression for us that we are free. The impression by itself isn't a form of control, it's only a way to retain the already-established control. So atheists just like everyone else are under strict control, but most people don't realize it. The control isn't coming from God, because if there was someone up there who is convinced he is God etc then he is also deceived and is kept under control. There are 2 ways to escape this control:
1. Die
2. Learn about every single control that is exercised upon you and how to individually free yourself from each one, without experiencing death. Either way is fine, but the 2nd way is more difficult but could also be more fun! Learning is fun!

Since you chose to be here in Earth in 3rd density to experience physical existance, you also chose everything that comes with it - any possible harm etc and control that humans are under, you agreed to it. No one can ever control anyone else in the entire universe (by that I mean EVERYTHING that exists) without permission by the person who is being controlled. We all have free will, and nothing/no one can ever abrige this, without our authorization. This is a truth that escapes many.

[Edited on 30-12-2003 by lilblam]

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
you posted in the wrong forum, but I think you did on purpose, just to gahter points you points whore.

You're lame.

I don't care about stupid points. You can have ALL the points I have now and will have in the future for this thread. All you need to do is say: "Thank you Mr. Hyperspace! May I have another please?"

U2U this to the ATS administration with the url of this statement by me:

Hyperspace

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mycroft

Oddly enough, I don't think you'll see people killing in the name of Atheism, nor going door to door to try and convert others....

Atheism is the ony religion that tries to convert you by calling you stupid.

Nope. Unfortunately, that's just an unavoidable consequence of the disagreement. Atheists don't try to convert anyone. Most do love to debate logic, though, and religion has no basis for logic. Religion has always been anti-logic.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   

So, atheists are automatically immoral people??? That is what you're trying to say here? That they suddenly feel free to behave any way they wish, for there is no sin? Obviously, you don't know many atheists... There is such a thing as moral imperative. Some actions are simply evil, regardless of whether you are worried about some supernatural score keeper.... Atheists are, as a group, generally more free of sin than most adherents of major faiths....

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
I sense some conflict here- Satyr. From reading this post, and comparing it to the one in which you replied to my recent topic on Floridas' Faith based prison, and I quote you again- this is in response to my question regarding convicts rights over our childrens in school-

Posted by Satyr- Floridas' Faith Based Prison

"This is where we differ the most. You think that a repression of religion is the cause of every existing problem today. I think that living in your fantasy religion word is anti-productive, and anti-progressive. Prayer doesn't solve anything, action and understanding does. Prayer only boosts morale in those who want to believe. I can't say this enough times; religion is not morality. If anything, it's hypocrisy. The problems you face today are considerably less than those that existed when religious organizations ruled. That was a horrible time, and will always be remembered as some of the most brutal, inhumane times of all history. It's very easy for me to argue the exact opposite...that the decline of religious activity is the reason people aren't brutally tortured or stoned to death as often now."

I do realize that you did not directly say that you are a believer in God, but I feel something here, and I wanted to pass this on to you and all the others-

You will never be sorry -
for thinking before acting,
for hearing before judging,
for forgiving your enemies,
for being candid and frank,
for helping a fallen brother,
for being honest in business,
for thinking before speaking,
for praying and seeking God,
for standing by your principles,
for stopping your ears to gossip,
for bridling a slanderous tounge,
for trying to harbor good thoughts,
for sympathising with the afflicted,
for being courteous and kind to all.
- Anonomous

Why believe in atheism? What benefits are there to believing in atheism ?
Look ya'll, I am not some Bible toting religous zealot, and I am not into organised religon. I have gone to church- but it's been a while.
Yes, there are bad and corrupt religous leaders. But, we are human, and there will always be some who preach whatever it is (atheism being one) and religon being another ( yeah, it's big money).
But, I try to live by the above mentioned paragraph
and for me- I'll take Heaven any day over Hell-
What is the benefit to being an atheist? That is what you should ask yourself....
Atheism is not a religon, I agree. Who benefits from disbelief in God? Only one, and I will not even post the name-
If there wasn't truth to God's existense, and his fallen angel, the stories and bibles and preachings would not be where they are today. There are many secrets- and this is the reason why we are all here reading this thread. For without secrets, all the stories would not be told and retold again and again, generation after generation, age after age.
If there wasn't truth- many of you would not be wondering and seeking the reality of God's existence.
Miracles happen every day- look at yourself- for you are a miracle.
Yes, we live in a cruel world- but we made it that way. We have free will, to believe or not- todays current situations are created by us- and the disbelief of many.
Take a set of scales and imagine evil on one side, and good on the other. It all depends on which side you rest upon- and the scale will surely take you in that direction you rested on-
You do not have to go to church , to believe in God. You do not have to become involved in organised religon to secure your entry through the pearly gates-
Just belief and a little prayer does me good- and you can look at my words and laugh at me, I don't care-
For I am- A Believer in God.

Another fact I wish to disclose- this observation came from the tounge of a real sick man, as we were driving down I-10 in Mississippi. I found it very intriguing-
You know (my name), I want you to see this- and I asked "what?" And he replied...if you look deep into every object we see- there is a cross in it! And as I thought of his words, I began to see- for there is a cross- in every thing you look at! Call me crazy , I don't care- if you look at whatever it is- the cross is there.
Peace to all- and may God bless everyone-especially all the atheists. For they are lacking- and their beliefs will try, but never be- religous doctrine.

You'll have to explain to me where the conflict is, because I'm not sure I see what you're getting at. Are you trying to tell me that I'm incapable of doing nice things because I'm not religious? If so, that's ridiculous. I think you're trying to credit religion for good morals again.

[Edited on 12-30-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Will MOST LIKELY NEVER AGAIN believe any other religion as long as they live - even if they are a priest. This website, when read in FULL wipes out any belief you have in God because you realize the senseless stupidity of it. If, on the other hand, after reading the entire website and all the chapters of that book you still believe, I'd like to know what caused your silly little mind to close shut so tightly. If you refuse to read it, you're afraid I may be correct - it is very interesting and fun to read so you shouldn't get bored. You have nothing to lose, give it a chance. You'll see the world differently after this.

www.jovialatheist.com...

check it out.

[Edited on 30-12-2003 by lilblam]

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperspace

Uh, let me see if I got this straight. Atheists are being controlled by not being controlled. OK, that sounds kinda contradictory to me.

Atheists don't feel free cause they are defying "God". They don't believe in "God". So, his rules don't matter to them and, they don't care if they defy him. I don't feel free when I do something Superman said not to do, he's fictional, what do I care about what he said?

[Edited on 12/30/03 by NotTooHappy]

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Originally posted by Satyr

You'll have to explain to me where the conflict is, because I'm not sure I see what you're getting at. Are you trying to tell me that I'm incapable of doing nice things because I'm not religious? If so, that's ridiculous.

Not at all, Satyr- quite the contrary and opposite of that supposition-but I will say this, you had me figured wrong- and if you read the part of your post I am talking about, which I did not quote in this thread, and think about it carefully, and then read what is here.
Seek, and you will find. Prayer is good- and I am not aware of anybody being placed in peril from praying. And, I might add, prayer has been quite educational and knowlegeable to me. My Guardian Angel and God has sure walked many a mile with me...Lol..if all only knew! And saved myself from many dangers I put myself in.

Originaly Posted by Gazrok
Oddly enough, I don't think you'll see people killing in the name of Atheism, nor going door to door to try and convert others....

Many have been killed in the name of atheism, as well as in the name of Chritianity- however, that is our falut as humans, not God's.
And yeah, no door to door for atheists- that is an intersting point, isn't it? I wonder why....are they not proud and enlightened? Hmmm...I prefer in the dark and hiding, but that is my personal view. And scared of what they do not, for whatever reason, know. I would figure though, that most would chose the Light and Heaven over the depths of hell-

Origially posted by NotTooHappyI would have to disagree. I'm an athiest. I don't attend church. I don't live my life in fear of some imaginary omnipotent being. None of my money goes to a church. I do what I want. Nietzsche, Feuerbach, Lenin, Marx aren't my leaders, their words hold no sway over me nor do they helm a church. I don't follow any guide lines that someone set up for me, and if religion is a matter of faith not certainty well, I'm certain that there's no "God".

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Main Entry: re�li�gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back -- more at RELY
Date: 13th century
1 a : the state of a religious b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
- re�li�gion�less adjective
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder why you are not too happy? And why you did not define the opposite subject of this thread. Look at the difference in definition-

atheism- the belief that there is no God, or denial that God or God's exist. 2. Godlessness. 3.Without

The second definition says much, huh? Sounds like lonliness to me....and 3. says even more.

Just my thoughts, people. I am but a wandering man who has walked with people of many faiths, in many lands...Sihks, Muslims, Hindis, Jews, and many others... and it is not my intent to insult anyone or redicule them for their beliefs [disbeliefs]. However, as Paul Harvey said-" All steeples point in the same direction" I like this one...says a lot, huh? I see no atheist steeples!

And a final note ( and of upmost importance and relevance to this thread)- If you do go here- just maybe there is a reason why?
The Final Word on this topic
POST # 294864

I seem to recall this stopping the last thread for a few days... a most curious thing to stop a hot subject for the while it did!

[Edited on 30-12-2003 by Journey]

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

So, atheists are automatically immoral people???

Yes

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Ok, so since you're still spreading this non-sense, I'll just give my take on the subject, altho I don't expect it to change the way you think.

Atheism in it self is not a religion. Atheism has no set of pre-made beliefs to adopt. To choose atheism is merely to choose to not believe in deities. Point of the line. Atheists people beleive that they control their own life, and no other supreme being is controlling it.

I think you're mad at atheists people because they don't believe in YOUR God, wich you probably love so much...Like so many people here, you probably also have a hard time accepting that you MIGHT (yes you MIGHT) be wrong and you're probably scared of the "consequence" that stopping to believe in your God would imply (probably 'hell' LMAO!)

(I might be completly off-the-track, and I admit I haven't even read ALL of this oh-so-long thread of probable non-sense and jabberish. But I still wanted to expose my opinion. Feel free to flame.)

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Athiests are much more diverse than you comprehend. Taoists, Zen Buddhists, A. Einstein, T. Edison, S. Freud, Bruce Lee...etc. athiests are a diverse group encompassing philosophies, scientists, and artists.

Because I don't have a faith of worshipping cows mean I have a faith of not worshipping cows? If so than so be it!

[Edited on 1/4/2004 by DiabolusFireDragon]

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
DiabolusFireDragon

Either you or I have a wrong definition of what Atheists are. Because I'm pretty sure buddhist and toists people can't be considered as 'atheists'???

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Atheist= pretty much somebody who does not believe in God or deities, Taoism teaches to be one with the "Tao," very loosely translated as the way of nature or the universe. The Tao can hardly described as a God or Deities.

Cha'n or Zen Buddhism is aimed at pointing to the mind and perceiving one's true nature. Buddha is more of a teacher, not a God or Deity.

Although you could find sects of both which could be related to Deities, both are more philosophies than religions requireing no belief in gods or deities.

[Edited on 1/4/2004 by DiabolusFireDragon]

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Thanks for clarifying this man. Greatly appreciated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join