It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bum Rush the Charts Today! Speak out against Big Media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is NOT an Official endorsment, this is a personal one.

Do you believe in podcasting? Do you believe in independent media? Then now is your chance to help make a statement.

Today, March 22nd is the day to go to iTunes and purchase the selected independent media song, Mine Again by Black Lab and help push it to #1 on iTunes ahead of the Big Media.

Not only will you be getting a great song for 99 cents, but you'll be making a statement to the corporate media giants AND contributing to college scholarships.

Podcasting gets little respect from traditional media. To them we're little more than a joke, than amateurs. What they don't understand is that podcasting is more than just a delivery mechanism - it's a social movement. People are sick of the watered-down, cookie-cutter content that networks and record companies expect us to enjoy. People are tired of watching friends and loved ones get sued by record labels who only care about profits and nothing else, not even the artists they supposedly represent.

You can read more at Bum Rush the Charts!

If you don't believe in it, then don't do it. Simple as that.

iTunes Store Link: Mine Again - Black Lab

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm with ya. I too am sick of the big media. Especially the record industry. That industry is nuts! and not in a good way. The Record Industry has been sadley disappointing to me.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Hell YES! We'll make it OFFICIAL!

ATS OFFICIALLY SUPPORTS THIS MOVEMENT.

This is, IMHO, one of the best examples of how the internet should represent the "Power of the People".

Springer...

[edit on 3-22-2007 by Springer]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
AND...if you want to hear the type of music you might be getting first, have a look at:

Black Lab - Podshow (Flash music player with a bunch of songs)

or

Black Lab's Website (samples and a music video)

This Night (for the tv show The Shield):

If the video doesn't work.
YouTube Link

[edit on 22-3-2007 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I did my part to get heard, did you?

If you did...let's hear about it here!

I'm genuinely interested AND I've posted the link to this thread for Adam Curry and listeners of the Daily Source Code, who might be dropping by to visit.

This is a HUGE thing. Let's make a difference and show what OUR voice can do.

Buying the song

Yes, I already own it, but so what? (from this blog post I made in Jan)

Downloading

See? I have it twice.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
this is a very good idea but is there not a better song or artist that we can support? i dunno, to soft of music.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by souls
this is a very good idea but is there not a better song or artist that we can support? i dunno, to soft of music.

This was the song selected for a bunch of reasons. Black Lab was actually on a major label and got dropped, so it's a chance to show corporate record labels you have a voice too.

They were also chosen because they're darn good (listen to some of their See the Sun album). The band found out about this issue and stated they will devote much of the profit to charity.

If you don't like the song though, then don't get it. Go get that $3 latte and support Starbucks instead.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Is the song really 4:20 long? I just noticed that in the info bar.. I don't have itunes but I do support the movement... =)

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Being a member of a band on a former indie artist label, I also fully support the movement. I hate itunes and apple with a passion but I have downloaded the software and the song purely for this reasoning.

Big corporation music can go to hell.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'm behind this thought of upsetting the corporate's 100%...

Anything to help the indie's is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, so I'm in!

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I work for the big record label corporations, and even I am sick to my stomach with their antics. Screw those stupid assholes and their distinctive lack of musical intuition. "Whatever makes money. Whatever worked 20 years ago will still work today. The world isn't any different than it was when I got started in this industry so Im not going to change, I'm a genius although i'm not making any money and putting out crap while simultainiously running the industry into the ground."

I am beginning to hate the record industry. Seriously. Hate it strongly. it burns everybody who is talented. I'm all for this. F those guys at the big label groups, Viva Indie music. Viva choice and listining options. Viva the real world and it want's that the industry is ignoring.

If you ever want real dirt on what immoral, arrogant, scumbags the execs are at these labels/ management firms etc U2U me. I'll be happy to name names and their heinous behavior. I hate them that much.

Peace out,

Dav....errrr.... I mean Bassplyr.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Hi All,

Well, while I dont particularly care for the song (its "ok"
) i went and bought it anyway. I am all for letting big industry know that they are nothing without us.
Thanks for posting this Zeddicus. I hope enough people purchase the song to send a strong statement.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Steve Jobs said that he would get rid of DRM in a minute, if the big media bosses would only let him. Odd, as there are plenty of independent musicians who would love for iTunes to drop DRM on their music sold on iTunes. Not just small unknown bands, but well known major artists like Bare Naked Ladies. Despite Steve Jobs comments against DRM, iTunes places DRM on ALL the songs it sells. Because of this I will not make any purchases from iTunes. It is not that I wish to assist music pirates, it is that I believe that I should be able to play music that I legally purchased, in the manner I choose. Steve once said that people should be able to play their music, when they want, how they want and on any device they want. Then he launched iTunes and changed his story. Until I am able to use the music I own in the manner of my choosing, I will not pay for any iTunes crippled music.

While I fully support the idea of this thread, to promote independent musicians, and let corporate music labels know of our collective displeasure of their business practices, however, iTunes in its present form, is not a place I choose to shop. DRM is evil and a poor business model. CrippleWare is not for me. iTunes is Defective by Design, as is all DRM crippled music.

Learn more at DefectivebyDesign.org.

Best wishes in your campaign to promote more independent music.

[edit on 22-3-2007 by Terapin]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
meh.

The songs just okay, definitely not worth purchasing.

they were dropped for a reason.

because they sound like everybody else.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I bought something else, but I did buy some Indie music -- Brobdignagian Bards... if you like Celtic, give them a listen at www.thebards.net...

And they're really nice guys, too!

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Originally posted by souls

This was the song selected for a bunch of reasons. Black Lab was actually on a major label and got dropped, so it's a chance to show corporate record labels you have a voice too.

They were also chosen because they're darn good (listen to some of their See the Sun album). The band found out about this issue and stated they will devote much of the profit to charity.

If you don't like the song though, then don't get it. Go get that $3 latte and support Starbucks instead.

calm down i didn't mean to hurt your feelings. im sorry ZeddicusZulZorrander i wont do it again. IM SORRY! PLEASE BE MINE AGAIN! sheesh what is the big deal. just asked whether or not their was other bands supporting the same cause that i might like. you know not everyone is as emotional as this song comes off as. and you know what, i don't even like caffeine, but i will use those three bucks to buy me a samich.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
meh.

The songs just okay, definitely not worth purchasing.

they were dropped for a reason.

because they sound like everybody else.

I have to agree with that. Sorry, but it's ultra generic pap. If you want to support podcasts, why not start on your own site? There are plenty of decent music podcasts lying around with perhaps a couple of replies that are far more original than this. Yet they get nothing, no recognition whatsoever.

I'd rather eat my own flesh than pay money for this, and through itunes of all places? You must be having a laugh.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ahhh, well...some didn't like the song, some don't like iTunes, some don't like DRM (like you can't steal and iTunes song and give it to everyone you know - Ha).

That's totally cool.

Personally, I have plenty of tracks by this artist and I think they're good. I'll agree that song was not their best stuff, but then I didn't pick it. I know that people telling you to go buy something and spend money sucks, but then all day long we hear about how we have to buy some product or our lives will suck. It's the way advertizing is.

I think it was a worthy cause and I had enough change in the ashtray of my car to cover it.

Now here's the interesting update.

Adam Curry stated a couple times in his podcast that 2 large record labels contacted him personally to see if he would organize a Bum Rush event for their known, signed artists. He didn't even organize this at all. He only promote it.

You do realize what that means though. Their fear is showing.

As for the song, well so far it hasn't cracked the iTunes Top 100, but charts in most large markets have not been updated in over 36 hours. In some smaller markets, they have already. "Mine Again" was at number 5 on the Top 100 in The Netherlands and number 9 in Sweden.

This was a global event of course. Power to the people. Now if we could only "Bum Rush" a new President in. I bet everyone would get onboard that cause.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Somehow I don't think the record companies are going to fear the bum rush but rather turn it against those who think its a good idea and use it to falsely propel artists of their choice to the top of the charts. So is the successful gaming of the iTunes chart really that big a victory for the small time independent artists or just a new way for big labels to manipulate the online charts?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I feel that the record labels may or may not be able to use this stratagy against the population to premote their own bands. Most of the majors are racing and struggeling at the same time to understand and utilize effectivlely the Internet. Most people at the labels over the age of 35 have no idea what Burnlounge even is. They are far behind being on the pulse regarding internet marketing or understanding the new zietgiest.

Major labels now make most of their money on album sales through online downloads of individuel tracts on the album. If you look at the Soundscan pages you'll see that 50% of their money is coming from this source. So Itune sales being diverted to other than major label bands definantly hurts the big labels and helps the indies. Whats funny is that even though these big labels are making so much money off of the downloads for single tracks they still have only a vauge understanding of how it works. And since they are not part of the system (young kids who understand this phenomina and are immersed in it as just another part of our generations daily life ) they have no real way to see into the future and make sucessfull sales/business stratagies for these resources. They will, until they get rid of the top brass, not be able to stay ahead of the wave with this issue. Sorry major labels.

PS they may try by force to compel the marketplace to bow to their wants and will. Idiots like Doug Morris (the Dipp****who is sueing everybody on the internet these days) are attempting to use this stratagy as we speak. He is planning more lawsuits. Some may go forward others will end up Dismissed by the judges or arbitrators. He doesn't understand that his leverage is wearing out and that the path he is taking is almost futile in the long run. he'll ruin himself. Good riddens!

Also, don't get too upset with Steve Jobs. When all the labels were telling him not to release any of the Ipod tech or the online store. He recognized that the music industry leaders that were aproaching him were 1. really bad at doing their own business and had no place telling him jack. 2. Far below him on the whos who scale of importance in the world. 3. couldn't hurt him if they tried (no real world leverage against people like apple) So he gave them the bird and went ahead anyways and revolutionized some things.

A while ago the same smucks told him to raise the prices for the songs or else they would get mad. Ohhhhhh. Jobs was scared alright. SO scared he doubled their pleasure and flipped them the bird yet again and has not bowed to their lame weak attempts at pressuring him or his company.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join