It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Masons: Why Men Need Societies Like Free Masonry: An Essay.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Many people consider "secret societies" to be a scare upon the human race. Many see groups that meet in halls to be conspirers against humanity.. cooking up evil schemes to make the world bow before them. Many claim to know the going ons of societies that they would have no chance of getting into because of their own lack of character. Many would demean the reputation of societies, like Masonry because of fear, and of course blind ignorance. Perhaps it is the lack of understand that our nation and culture portrays to societies.. it certainly is not a subject taught in schools.

And do you not find that odd, that societies, especially those like Masonry are completely disregarded in history, especially American history.. as Masonry had such a direct effect on the foundation of the United States.. and still has some influence, though no where near the levels many anti-Masons would claim with out evidence.

But, the question should not be .. What is Masonry? .. No, instead, the question should be.. Why join Masonry? Yes, that is by far the more appropriate question.. and I do believe it goes across the board into all fraternities, no matter the size, origin or purpose..
of course their are amateur off sects that attempt to mock what the members typically take out of context or purposefully or unintentionally misinterpret.. still the basic underlying means of why members will join even the strangest societies is typically the same.

And while it works for both genders, nearly in the same way.. men tend to join societies far more frequently.. and I believe there are reasons for this behavior... and I remind all those who take their time to read my thoughts, that I am no psychiatrist.. I am simply stating my observance of what I personally see.

A sense of belonging.. Humans are social animals, we need the interaction of other people.. Men need other men in their lives, that is, brother hood and more importantly.. a sense of belonging to a group. Many men join for the sense of community, a chance to bond with other men, as weird as what ever the society may be.. if it is a group of men that they can associate with they will be content.

The next point I see as to why men need societies, is bonding. In adult life, males do not "socialize" at the rate that would be considered "normal" outside of Western Society.. because of the demands placed on men, time is limited.. groups such as Masonry at the basic level gives men a chance for general socialization..

Next, a very important aspect of societies.. belonging.. brotherhood acceptance and a general self esteem within a group of individuals.. to be in a group, like Masonry, but not limited to Masonry, a man is accepted for who he is and what he thinks.. whether or not you agree or disagree on any wide variety of topics, you are still bound together by oaths, and more importantly, journey and experience.. that is what ties brothers together, the ordeals, and tribulations they all over came.. brotherhood is the most important aspect in a mans life out side of his family, because it includes in general a wide variety of needs and wants, and fulfills them by the simple knowing of belonging to like minded individuals. Your accepted in the character you present your self.. there is not social alterations, which leads to the last part of brotherhood and that is general self esteem.. Men tend to suffer from depression far more often then reported, though who will report it.. society tells us to hide our feelings and be a man. A brotherhood, in accepting you for you and joining a bond strong with underlying principals and ritual fulfills the needs of belonging, acceptance and brotherhood, thus fulfilling a void in your life.

No man wanders about looking for a society to join that best suits them, if they are not indeed missing something. For, if a man is truly content with his life, and his surroundings, why would he need the social interaction a Society can offer, like Masonry? He wouldn't, he has no reason, and if he did, he would feel no fulfillment and would drift away, or begin feeling burdened by an obligation.

In short, why men need societies is to gather together, and as men behave like men in a like minded group of individuals.. the topics can be what ever comes up, but any interaction is much better then none at all.. Men who join societies begin to feel a sense of self worth, as if they are doing something with their lives.. something to look forward to on the weekend to escape the mundane order of life that has engulfed our scheduled society..

Those who search to destroy the institute of societies, much like Masonry, do so because they either understand or don't understand. Those who do understand know that when men gather together with out restriction, they are free to express them selves, their inner rage and desires, they malcontent and fury against the institutions that hold them back from truly progressing... it is for these reasons institutions like the Church, and nations have suppressed the rights of societies, often pushing them underground.. to suppress free though, free opinion, free congregation of ideas typically directed against those who suppress them.. And rightfully so... after all, Masonry did help bring about American independence from the British Crown.

The rest, through ignorance mainly, lack of understanding or religious zealot type fears.. hate and despise which they cannot comprehend, cannot fathom.. they hate because they do not belong.. perhaps it is they who are truly miss something in their life... the purity and perfection of rituals, the sense of bonding brotherhood.. the sense of belonging to something bigger then ordinary life.. a sense of truly doing good for fellow man.. perhaps they fear that because they are not apart it must be against them.. and because it sounds so.. odd.. so unfamiliar, it surely must be evil, satanic and working for the demise of any one not associated..

I hope that this thread may explain, perhaps, in my own observation and opinion based on typical group organizations, WHY people join.. not WHAT is.. because WHY is often, just as important and often WHY can explain WHAT..

--Rockpuck--

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Wonderful post, Rockpuck!

Indeed, it is the people who make the organization - not the organization that makes the people.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
Wonderful post, Rockpuck!

Indeed, it is the people who make the organization - not the organization that makes the people.

Couldn't have summed it up better then that, with out the individuals there is only empty halls, un filled seats and unused buildings.. Individuals make up the heart and soul of any organization.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Great post Rock.

To echo GENERAL EYES. Ask any Mason. We all will say we do not meet IN a lodge, but AS a lodge. It is the people, without it it would all simply be empty space.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
i guess i will never know, then.. that didn't answer anything for me! anyone else able to explain the fundamental ideas of masonry? a good website i can visit? im asking you, because as masons, you might put me on the right path to finding out the truth, rather than hearing anti mason messages. in another thread, it was mentioned that masonry is not just about men getting together, there are rituals etc. but all you have talked about in that rant is how its just about being together.. which i am all for, by the way! or is it just to do with charity, which i am also very much for. i understand that many men get themselves tied down in relationships and jobs that they don't enjoy, and therefore want to improve their lives by joining a fraternity, makes good sense!

so thanks, in a way, it only really helped me see what one of the masons feels though!

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Firstly, I am finding you abrasive. If you find my essay above to be a rant, then im afraid iv failed in my attempts to put forth an educated piece of work at any level.. it is NOT a rant.. an explanation.. an observance.. an opinion.. a hypothesis .. not a rant. I resent the statement.

Further on, if you read honest replies from various Masons on the board, you will know full well what Masonry is.. I say that only because of your persistent malcontent with me.. which I do find perplexing.. I have offended more then ones fair share on these boards, and I can assure you that if I truly meant to offend you or verbally accost you, you would know the difference.

Anyways, if you read the above, in a sense that is what it is.. a fraternity..

There is dinners, outings, family activities, golfing.. more dinners.. charity work and some more dinners.

That is the underlying public base of Masonry, charity.. that is what we give back to the people.. we ask nothing in return.. some charities are anonymous .. you would never know a Mason was the one helping you.. we do not seek fame and popularity just helping fellow humans in times of need.

the next layer is the fraternity .. stated above I hope is a good explanation as to why men need fraternities .. understand that there is nothing wrong nor immoral about that in any way, and my reasons for lack of trust and ignorant lack of understanding resides in the lack of education granted on the subject and more influential groups ability to install a lacking sense of security in the hearts and minds of their blind congregations.

There is then the mystical aspect of Masonry that many brothers come to love, or join for.. I joined for the rich history and a chance to better understand it, to further my own illumination of the mind through better understanding of how we came to be, and how world events unfold. Every one has their own reasoning and opinions.. some join for business reasons.. some join just to say "Hey, I'm a Mason"

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I could mirror everything said and apply it to my bookclub. Or to my pokerparties. Or to a hundred other things.

Freemasons are in the majority on this forum. I have nothing against masonry or masons, but in my oponion there does seem to be a lot of ego among the masons here. Who cares if masons do chariable works? Great, so do I, I am actively involved in the welfare of international children; yet i do not feel the need to announce it to the world ; I am doing it here just to make a point---nor do I feel the need to extoll upon people the virtues of my rpg club. Of course we havent been around for hundreds of years but so what? The past is not exactly ideal, so having a tradition in no way makes a organization superior.

Masons always say they are being attacked. Like Christians, they almost seem to want to be attacked, so their organization can be in a way validified by the attacks as being worthy of someones malice.

I just felt the need to be the bad guy here; all this lovey dovey mason stuff gets a little annoying----and this is a secret society conspiracy forum---in theory it should be suspicious of societies, not a fanclub of them.

Anyway Masony was once very important in the affairs of the world at large, but no longer---- even though masons and antimasons alike dream that many of the worlds politicians belong to their ranks.

So in closing, here is my conspiracy theory about masonry-----it is elitist, but not in the way antimasons think. It is elitist in the way country clubs are, not in the way Skull and Bones is. There are no secrets taught that cannot be found in a bookstore or library; and their are lots of other organizations that do a hell of a lot more charity work than masons do

I know this will not go over well with most people, I just thought there should be a voice of dissent , because I do love breaking up parties

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Count Germails Lovechild]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Maybe I can clarify on some of the apparent confusion when it comes to Masonic intents.

Having spoken with a few Masons, I've come up with a general view on the fraternity's beliefs. One of the main tenants is that they are selfless, they only try to do things for the betterments of society as a whole. Yes, they help each other out, but what good organization worth being in doesn't do that?

The next of the main tenants is that they encourage free and open thought on anything and everything. They don't demand that anyone believe as they do; they only ask that people keep an open mind. And they don't even force anyone to do that. People have this bad connotation of Masonry because of the publicity of them, which 99% of is lies.

The way I see it, a Mason really doesn't care what anyone thinks of them. They'd prefer it if people wouldn't prejudge them, without having actually experienced their doings. I think that should be applied to everything though. People have become way too judgmental in recent times, and it's hurting the social order. I think everyone would be well off to spend some time trying to figure out what they could do to stop some of the social malcontent in the world today. If we all put our heads together, we could come up with a reasonable solution.

I believe this, at it's basic level, is what the Masons are all about. They merely want to keep a social balance. If they can do that, then they have succeeded in their goals.

To Masons and non-Masons alike: I'd like to call all of you my brothers, but I know some of you will disagree with me. Should you find my views too radical, then I won't hold any malice towards you, as you're entitled to your opinion. All I ask is that you afford me the same courtesy.

On this note, I bid you all, my brothers and sisters, a farewell and goodnight.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
My opinion is that it good for men to get out and away from the home for awhile every now and then to socialize with their friends, whether it be some sort of fraternity or poker party or bowling league.

I'd say the same would go for women too.

No data or resource to quote, but just my opinion...

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Zhenyghi]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Mod Edit: Removed Double Post

[edit on 21-3-2007 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I think I speak for many women when I say Bradd Pitt or Johnny Depp or Jean Reno would never have achieved their international appeal had it been revealed they met regularly with numerous other men in a 'secret' society --- one in which men simulated death in a pseudo coffin in the basement. And swore melodramatic alliegance to the other men in the room (many of them wearing aprons and other comical ritual attire) at the expense of their own wives and children.

People become 'joiners' for one of a handful of reasons.

(1) to mix with others of same mindset or with same interests
(2) in order to participate in a matter of benefit to others: one in which many hands make light work or enable swift progress
(3) to plot the downfall of another or of others: but a downfall they are incompetent to achieve on their own
(4)because they feel weak and unimportant and seek to bolster their lack of self esteem via membership of something; anything.

A 'man' is someone who is independent, intelligent, resourceful. He handles his own problems, his way. He's a thinker. He counsels himself. He formulates his own solutions and reaches his own decisions. He takes action he believes is right. He succeeds or falls on his own merit. When he falls, he gets up again. By doing so, he builds character. A man does not demean himself by clustering with a group of men who need dramatic ritual to enliven their lives. A man forges a relationship with his wife and children and his alliegance, lifelong, is to them above all others. That's a man.

Men who forsake the company of their wives and children to meet in secret in basements, wearing ridiculous outfits are not men -- they are failures. They are weak. They wish to feel 'important' and 'powerful' for precisely one reason: because they know that in reality, they are not (powerful and important). And they're most probably closet homosexuals.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
International Appeal? What Johnn Depp and Brad Pitt to pre-pubescent girls? Jean Reno, fine actor. I enjoy all 3 of them in most everything they do, well maybe not Reno in the remake of Pink Panther.

What have they done to better society? Explain to me how Willy Wonka, Fight Club (do not try and quote Pahlaniuk,) or The Professional have helped anyone in anyway.

For that matter, how have you? Your negative world view of all mankind as an independent creature leads me to believe you have little concern for anyone outside of your own home and your comfy little world view.

Is man inherently independent? Yes, is that right? No, I like to think we have evolved beyond that. You yourself admit that a mans first responsibility is to his immediate family, no Mason will ever tell you otherwise. How is that independent? The independence you speak of is animalistic, love 'em and leave 'em just to propagate your genes. Despite how you preface your diatribe with one line about responsibilities to the family the rest of your post is an existential selfish existence personified.

Is it so hard to imagine that perhaps men such as Masons and others come together to simply better each other through beneficial acts for society, I sure like to think so. And you know what, it is true.

Count Germails Lovechild mentioned that it does not take being a Mason to be Philanthropic and that is absolutely true as well. At least in my view the philanthropic practices of Masonry are so beneficial because of the ability to pool together such vast resources and like minded individuals while directing them at a single benevolent cause. Ask anyone who has been admitted to the Shriner's Hospital in Dallas, Texas if they think Masons have any malign intent. For someone such as me without the means to throw vast quantities of money around simply because I have not been out of college very long, seeing the outcome of my dues and the work of my own two hands compounded by the same efforts of my brothers, means alot to me and I certainly feel a better person for it.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I agree with your conclusions. The main driving force behind Freemasonry in America was that many of the members had left England and their families, and there was no male support structure. Naturally, they all gravitated to the next best thing.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Terrific post Rockpuck. A couple of thoughts:

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Many people consider "secret societies" to be a scare upon the human race. Many see groups that meet in halls to be conspirers against humanity.. cooking up evil schemes to make the world bow before them...Many would demean the reputation of societies, like Masonry because of fear, and of course blind ignorance.

Back when Freemasonry was a truly exlusive and secret organization - one that played such a large part in the founding of a nation - the fear of those we termed "profane" seems a legitimate response. Freemasonry, at least in my experience at the Lodge level, actually seemed to cultivate this.

Fear and its various side effects are the "why" of why many of us are here on this board.

A sense of belonging... Men need other men in their lives, that is, brother hood and more importantly.. a sense of belonging to a group...

I would only add that in a substantial number of cases that there are familial reasons as well. When one's Father, Grandfather, and numerous Uncles belong, it is a rite of passage that has a young boy eagerly anticipating the day when he is recognized as a man. In my youth Freemasonry and manhood were synonomous.

...brotherhood is the most important aspect in a mans life out side of his family...

This loss of brotherhood was very real and very painful to me when I left though, admittedly, it started long before that when Freemasonry began diluting its membership. That's probably the subject of a different thread, however.

Again, interesting thread man.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Of course, it's logical to suspect that male-only secret-societies are indulging in overcompensation for the fact that compared to women, they feel inadequate.

Male-only clubs, groups, societies simply scream: 'Misogeny, Female-Hater, Fearers of Women, Jealousy of Women' etc.

Otherwise: why 'male only' ? Why?

Male and female are naturally complementary.

Male-only groups are a deliberate attempt to negate that natural partnership.

Male-only screams 'maladjusted'.

By insisting (as Masons do) that the initiate swear lifelong loyalty to other members and forsake his wife and children, they are defying the divine natural order of things and the instruction 'Let no man put asunder those whom God has joined as wife and husband'.

Then, they attempt to gloss over their very obviously misogynistic agenda by claiming the Masons is simply a group of altruistic males intent on benefitting others.

No. It's clear what the Masons and other male-only groups are about.

They're intent on controllling the minds thoughts and souls of the weak creatures who seek membership in the hope it will impress and provide them a security blanket if they foolishly strip and stand on one foot and denounce their life-partner and offspring.

In short, the Masons do NOT honour the sacred and spiritual bonds between a man and his family. Instead, they attempt to destroy all such bonds and replace it with a homosexually oriented, unhealthy dependence on other males.

Unnatural would be an apt description.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
In short, the Masons do NOT honour the sacred and spiritual bonds between a man and his family. Instead, they attempt to destroy all such bonds and replace it with a homosexually oriented, unhealthy dependence on other males.

Have you ever been a Freemason, served in a fighting branch of the military, played team sports, been a boy scout, or belonged to the men's group at a church?

[edit on 21-3-2007 by befoiled]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Then there's the bullying, victimisation and thug-gang mindset.

NOT admirable.

Those weaklings who pander to secret society agenda are controlled by carrot and stick: the methods of the despicable. Nothing about freedom of choice and independence there, is there?

Once fools are 'in', they're stuck for life.

On one hand they're assured that should anyone pose a problem, then the 'gang' (aka 'secret mens' club) will 'fix it' for them.

On the other hand however, the fools soon realise that should THEY disagree with 'the programme', then it is THEY who will be victimised and systematically discredited and destroyed by the gang.

Fools ENTER in the belief they'll GAIN from it.

Then the penny drops and they realise they're controlled and will have no option but to remain controlled and under the heirarchy's 'powah'.

Not such a bargain then, is it?

For example, we have some very defensive creatures posting in this thread, all competing with one another to 'best represent' the Masons.

So paranoid have they become re: their beloved Masons, that they're terrified of appearing less than adequate in their praise of Masons, lest 'others' in the gang are watching. They're vying for the equivalent of the gold-star-stamps that children lust for in primary school.

Of course, most of this cloak and dagger stuff exists only in their imagination.

They're the lowest level of the pyramid and all their sycophantic praise of Masons will do nothing to elevate them.

The base of the pyramid is vast and comprised of manual labourers.

Only the select few ever make it anywhere near the top and they are allocated their elite positions even before they're born.

So what we have here are the base rank and file attempting to bluff the supposed 'sheep' regarding their 'importance'.

And, in the way of misfits and converts, nothing rocks their little boat as much as does discussing their obsession: their sense of 'belonging' in 'such a powerful organisation'.

In a way, it's great. It keeps them busy and off the streets, making things safer for sane folk.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Dock6]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
dock 6- thankyou, i was thinking the same thing ..
and rockpunk, im not personally attacking your views or beliefs.. someone already did answer my question on the other forum... hey, it was 6.30am where i was, feeling frustrated that i had no idea what freemasonry was!

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Of course, it's logical to suspect that male-only secret-societies are indulging in overcompensation for the fact that compared to women, they feel inadequate.

Only paranoid individuals would believe that to be logical. There have been male-only societies for centuries...or hadn't you heard?

Male-only clubs, groups, societies simply scream: 'Misogeny, Female-Hater, Fearers of Women, Jealousy of Women' etc.

You're one ultra-confused individual. (BTW, it's "misogyny" don't be afraid to use the spell-checker when you're trying to impress people with big words)

Sometimes men feel the need for male-only companionship. Just as women share things with their 'girl-friends' there are things that I would NEVER tell a female that I WOULD tell my best friend (who's male). That's actually very natural and really nothing for you to be paranoid about.

Certainly...at least my wife and I are...and have been for a number of years.

Horse-hockey.

That statement screams 'paranoid'

By insisting (as Masons do) that the initiate swear lifelong loyalty to other members and forsake his wife and children, they are defying the divine natural order of things and the instruction 'Let no man put asunder those whom God has joined as wife and husband'.

That idiotic statement alone demonstrates your complete LACK of understanding. To say that Masons swear such a thing is an out-and-out lie. What we ACTUALLY swear to do is to care for those dependent upon us (i.e. OUR FAMILIES). In the very FIRST Degree, this is pointed out. Masonry is also NEVER to interfere with our "usual vocations" (because to let it do so would be injurious to ourselves and those dependent upon us) Some simple research would have turned THAT up!

They're intent on controllling the minds thoughts and souls of the weak creatures who seek membership in the hope it will impress and provide them a security blanket if they foolishly strip and stand on one foot and denounce their life-partner and offspring.

Again. Horse-hockey! Masonry promotes individuality and THINKING for oneself. Weak-minded creatures need not apply...

I don't mind the fools and knaves here who continually post that Freemasonry is satanic, "luciferian" (that word cracks me up) and other silly nonsense, but if you truly think Freemasonry promotes homosexuality, you're a damned sorry researcher. You really should get away from the computer for a while.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Appak]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Then, they attempt to gloss over their very obviously misogynistic agenda by claiming the Masons is simply a group of altruistic males intent on benefitting others.

Forsake my Wife and children ? Homosexually oriented, unhealthy dependence on other males ? Are you just pulling this stuff out of your ass or is somebody feeding it to you ? have you ever been a Mason or are you getting your info from some crackpot website ?

You havent the first clue or the faintest idea what you are talking about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join