It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hands Off my Weapons!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

He never said anything like that, the term nuts does not equal being
mentally ill
, it simply refers to someone you disagree with and consider
misguided, but it certainly does'nt equate to being mentaly ill.

Come on,what you guys have never heard of a mental institution referred to as the nut house? or are you just twisting things to only see it your way again?

nut (nt)
n.
a. An indehiscent, hard-shelled, one-loculated, one-seeded fruit, such as an acorn or hazelnut.
b. A seed borne within a fruit having a hard shell, as in the peanut, almond, or walnut.
c. The kernel of any of these.
2. Slang
a. A crazy or eccentric person.
b. An enthusiast; a buff: a movie nut.
3. Informal A difficult endeavor or problem: Painting the closet was a tough nut to crack.
4. Slang The human head.
5. Music
a. A ridge of wood at the top of the fingerboard or neck of a stringed instrument, over which the strings pass.
b. A device at the lower end of the bow for a stringed instrument, used for tightening the hairs.
6. A small block of metal or wood with a central, threaded hole that is designed to fit around and secure a bolt or screw.
7. Slang
a. The cost of launching a business venture.
b. The operating expenses of a theater, theatrical production, or similar enterprise: "The [theater] has simply failed to attract enough paying customers per week to meet its nut" Variety.
8. Vulgar Slang A testicle.
intr.v. nut·ted, nut·ting, nuts
To gather or hunt for nuts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English nute, from Old English hnutu.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nutter n.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Emphasis mine

funny your definition doesn`t exist,do you have your own special dictionary or something iori_komei.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   

NUT:
. Slang.
a. a person who is very enthusiastic about something; buff; enthusiast; devotee: He's a real circus nut.
b. an extremely concerned or zealous person: My boss is a nut on double-checking everything.

a. a foolish, silly, or eccentric person.

It is just that YOU chose to see it that way... That does not make it correct..

Now here is a good definition for you...

shoot
1 /ʃut/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[shoot] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, shot, shoot·ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to hit, wound, damage, kill, or destroy with a missile discharged from a weapon.
2. to execute or put to death with a bullet: to be shot at sunrise.
3. to send forth or discharge (a missile) from a weapon: to shoot a bullet.
4. to discharge (a weapon): to shoot a gun.

DICTIONARY For both

Pot
Kettle
Black

Semper

[edit on 3/18/2007 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

You have made some serious and erroneous assumptions here...

And I said and say you have,with your "nut"comment.

1. I in no way said that any specific PEOPLE are gun nuts.

Thats right,its there for anyone to read and see.

What you did say was,again... " Oh sure there are still going to be the anti-gun nuts out there raving"

I did not imply any group, organization or certain people in general. My OPINION on who are and who are not gun nuts was never stated and you made an assumption.

the anti-gun nuts you have grouped to be raving nuts.

2. I also NEVER stated that anyone that does not agree with me is mentally ill. I NEVER stated that ANYONE was mentally ill. Those are your terms completely The colloquial term "nut" is at most a humorous analogy. Again, you made an assumption.

See above post for the term.

Slanderous at best.

And the shooting of people part, well that was certainly all yours..

I`m impressed.

You are allowed to use sarcasm (ie shooting people) and yet you call out the term "nuts"???

Why thank you for clarifying my rights.If you read again,I wasn`t sarcastic until you made those remarks.

Interesting..

Semper

Good.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   

NUT:
. Slang.
a. a person who is very enthusiastic about something; buff; enthusiast; devotee: He's a real circus nut.
b. an extremely concerned or zealous person: My boss is a nut on double-checking everything.

a. a foolish, silly, or eccentric person.

It is just that YOU chose to see it that way... That does not make it correct..

So now your stating what you said was not meant in a derogatory way?

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but you continue to make my point for me...

Now you have resorted to adding words to my post in order to make your point...

I never used the word "RAVING"

Was this in error, or are you intentionally being deceptive?

If your stance is not strong enough to debate without the use of deception and erroneous posting, why do you continue to debate?

Semper

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I actually like guns.. SHOCKER!!!

I own numerous guns

I am called a Gun Nut frequently...

That is not a derogatory term in any manner....

Even if I did intend on it being derogatory in this instance, let us not forget that it WAS YOU that placed yourself within those confines and I NEVER referenced you as a gun nut, YOU chose to make that particular indication...
Also even if I intended it as derogatory, I NEVER brought up the mention of mental health. I also never deleted anything from my dictionary references in order to make my point..

It's all about you...

Semper

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I'm sorry, but you continue to make my point for me...

Now you have resorted to adding words to my post in order to make your point...

I never used the word "RAVING"

Was this in error, or are you intentionally being deceptive?

If your stance is not strong enough to debate without the use of deception and erroneous posting, why do you continue to debate?

Semper

I`ve never lodged a complaint before here on ATS,but I`ll apologize here if a Mod was to see what I said was deception and erroneous posting in relpying to yours.

Because I dont trust your word on this.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I don't lodge complaints my friend... That is why I ask if it was erroneous that you added the word raving to my quote...

As to whether I used it or not, it is a simple matter to read the posts..

We, as intelligent individuals should always be able to come to some mutual conclusion on any issue without the use of a MOD.

If not, then we just agree to disagree and move on..

Semper

[edit on 3/18/2007 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   

I actually like guns.. SHOCKER!!!

I own numerous guns

I am called a Gun Nut frequently...

That is not a derogatory term in any manner....

Yeah, it depends on how its used.

Even if I did intend on it being derogatory in this instance, let us not forget that it WAS YOU that placed yourself within those confines and I NEVER referenced you as a gun nut

So no straight answer again on whether you did or didn`t use it in a derogatory term towards people who are anti-gun.

Also even if I intended it as derogatory, I NEVER brought up the mention of mental health. I also never deleted anything from my dictionary references in order to make my point..

Again dodging a straight forward question.Also are you here implying I deleted something from the dictionary to support my post?

It's all about you...

Semper

You wish.

edit for quote tags

[edit on 18-3-2007 by gps777]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   

I don't lodge complaints my friend... That is why I ask if it was erroneous that you added the word raving to my quote..

As to whether I used it or not, it is a simple matter to read the posts..

It`ll be easy enough to find because I`ve quoted it in full multiple times.

We, as intelligent individuals should always be able to come to some mutual conclusion on any issue without the use of a MOD.

You have also alluded that I`m unable to do so and I`m think along the same lines about yourself.

If not, then we just agree to disagree and move on..

Semper

Did that a long time ago,it just doesn`t mean that I will shut up when I believe something.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
I do get tired of hearing, "dont you think guns are bad?" every time I open a thread on the WEAPONS forum.

Of course, we should have more Columbine like disasters, because that's the dark side of the opportunity to own weapons. I wonder whether you would still be ''tired'' if your sister would have got killed in such a disaster.

In Europe gun ownernship is in most cases forbidden to the ordinary man. Well I can tell you, I'm still alive nor have I had a need for a weapon and the Soviet threat doesn't exist anymore.

Even though guns and weaponry in general have my interest, I do not have a need for weapons. Additionally, the fact that there are so many lunatics out here makes me happy that gun ownership is restricted to those who are able to carry the responsibility such as the police.

Explain me why you need a gun so badly, China won't invade your country anytime soon, the chance that you'll need that gun to protect you and/or your family is rather small, too small to allow Columbine like disasters to happen too often. Besides, a knife could simply replace the role of the family's protector should it come to happen that for instance a violent burglar breaks into your house.

Why is a weapons forum on ATS if it isnt to discuss weapons?

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Of course, we should have more Columbine like disasters, because that's the dark side of the opportunity to own weapons. I wonder whether you would still be ''tired'' if your sister would have got killed in such a disaster.

Hearing others talk about guns on ATS the mentality here Mdv2 is that if everyone was carrying a gun the attacker would be shot and stopped before he could kill more people.

On the topic of removing them from the general public.
I liken it to a child who would act similar if a parent took their lolly pop off them because it was rotting their teeth.Problem is their lolly pops are guns so temper tantrums will happen.Is why I`d say there is a reluctance to try.That and they cant seem keep guns and drugs out of the country enough,so personal ownership is encouraged for their own safety.

In the mean time good and bad people and anyone in between lose their lives because of them.While living in fear whilst hugging their gun.

In Europe gun ownership is in most cases forbidden to the ordinary man. Well I can tell you, I'm still alive nor have I had a need for a weapon and the Soviet threat doesn't exist anymore.

I do not have a need for weapons. Additionally, the fact that there are so many lunatics out here makes me happy that gun ownership is restricted to those who are able to carry the responsibility such as the police.

My thoughts as well.

Its good to see and hear other countries and people know what its like to live and be gun free.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Sorry guys.

Not sure if everyone else was just expiriencing an ATS freezing up?

But when I posted it, it lagged,so I hit the stop send button before it timed out.

I then opened another page which worked and checked to see if in fact it had posted and it hadn`t? I did that 6 times,man what a mess,I`ll see if a Mod can fix my mess.

mod edit: accidental double posts removed

[edit on 18-3-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Here is an interesting fact, of all the guns used in the commission of a felony in Virginia 13% were stolen, 6% were legal, and 81% the oberwhelming majority were Illegal, Ex. MAC-10's, AK-47's, and other illegally bought weapons.

I have no problem with citizens ownin guns, it kept my job easier.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
question: when did anyone that supports gun control ever argue that crime is their reasoning?

i've always talked about the accidents that legal weapons get involved in, many of which turn out to be fatal

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
here is a little jewel that basically says that to save lives we should ban doctors not guns, now i know doctors are a necessary part of society and it would be ridiculous to suggest banning them but never the less it just shows that statistics are what you want them to be you just have to look for the right Ste.
The number of physicians in the US is 700,000.
b. Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year is 120,000.
c. Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171. (US Dept. of Health & Human Services)
Then think about this:
a. The number of gun owners in the US is 80,000,000.
b. The number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) is 1,500.
c. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .0000188.
Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
wcssar, you comparison is... there's no light way to put it, so i'll just say stupid. without doctors we'd lose far more people than they take away. could you say the same thing about guns?

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Explain me why you need a gun so badly, China won't invade your country anytime soon, the chance that you'll need that gun to protect you and/or your family is rather small, too small to allow Columbine like disasters to happen too often. Besides, a knife could simply replace the role of the family's protector should it come to happen that for instance a violent burglar breaks into your house.

Even though this was'nt directed at me, as an American, and a believer
in the 2nd ammendment, I feel I should answer.

We may not need them, or maybe we do, I don't particulalrly know.

However, we are guaranteed them so that if our government becomes
tyrannical, we can get rid of it.

And it really does'nt matter if you need it or not, you don't need a video
game system, or really most things in life, but no one tells you you can't
have it because you don't need it.

I believe in absolute personal freedom so long as you do not directly
non-consentually interfer with the freedom of others, and therefore I
consider baning guns to be a slap in the face to freedom.

[edit on 3/18/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
of course it was stupid i said as much in the post it was just a post that was to show that citing stats to prove something is no proof at all as you can get stats that will say what ever you want if you choose to especially if taken from unrelated subjects. i see all kinds of stats being used in threads and in politics to support this position or that and accepting stats as some holy grail that proves a point is not very wise until you know who provided the streets and what the relevance to the subject is. that is why i don't often ask for someones proof of their stats because you could spend all day arguing the relevance of them. i have yet to see anybody change their mind on a dearly held subject because of stats.
on a side note the previous post spoke about accidental gun deaths which was at least half of my post much more relevant than a a two page discussion on the meaning of the word " nut ".
[edit on 18-3-2007 by wcsar]

[edit on 18-3-2007 by wcssar]

[edit on 18-3-2007 by wcssar]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

I believe in absolute personal freedom so long as you do not directly
non-consentually interfer with the freedom of others, and therefore I
consider baning guns to be a slap in the face to freedom.

Your country is full of laws that restrict a persons freedom to do whatever they may want.

Are you going to start a shoot up with your Gov because of that?

What about if your country lied about another country and went to war which results killing many Innocent lives, would this constitute a good reason to oust your Gov with your constitutionally given right to do so?

Or is it only when the American people are hard done by,that you all some how magically agree on,to do something about it?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join