It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with the anti-Catholic hate?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I've been seeing a lot of comments from a lot of members on here who seem to have some sort of prejudice against the Catholic church.

Not only on this site but also all over the internet.

May I ask you Why?

Protestants, what is it you do not like about the Catholic church?

I have a very important point to make, so listen ok.

Do you know who chose the books that would be in the new testament?

The very books you base you faith upon, the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The acts of the apostles all the way to the book of Revelation.

Do you realize who it is that chose these books?

I'll tell you who it is, it's the Catholic church who chose them, that's who.

No matter what you may have against us, always remember that reason you believe what you believe is because the Catholic church chose the books of the new testament.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
And I have become numb to the Catholic Church.

You want to know why....It's because of the Hypocrecy of the Church itself. I still follow the religion. Jesus in my savior

The Church: covers for pedifiles, Spanish Inquisition?, just to name a few. It needs to modernize it thoughts. That's why there are so many idiots seeking out Scientology, etc.

When your basic message is you are going to Hell for this, for that, for that over there. You should at least practice what you preach.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Royal76, that isn't my point.

My point is EVERY Christian believes what they believe because the Catholic church chose the books of the new testament.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I was raised catholic and taught by priests and nuns through school. Maybe 7 years ago I left the Catholic church because of a few things I didn't agree with.

Here is a short list:

• Praying to Saints.

• Worshiping the Mother Mary when Jesus/God should be the only one worshiped.

• The thinking that a priest is closer to God than a normal person and that we should confess our sins to him for judgement when we should be confessing to God.

• Calling a priest "father" when we know that God is the only Father.

• Covering up abuses by Priests made me sick (you know what I'm talking about).

• I have some issues with the way they look at women.

I don't hate the church or anything I just don't agree with the above. I still say the "Lords Prayer" and sign the cross.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
easy. the catholic church is the single largest religious insitution on the planet and has been such for centuries. the bigger the target, the easier it is to hit.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I was raised catholic and taught by priests and nuns through school. Maybe 7 years ago I left the Catholic church because of a few things I didn't agree with.

Here is a short list:

• Praying to Saints.

• Worshiping the Mother Mary when Jesus/God should be the only one worshiped.

• The thinking that a priest is closer to God than a normal person and that we should confess our sins to him for judgement when we should be confessing to God.

• Calling a priest "father" when we know that God is the only Father.

• Covering up abuses by Priests made me sick (you know what I'm talking about).

• I have some issues with the way they look at women.

I don't hate the church or anything I just don't agree with the above. I still say the "Lords Prayer" and sign the cross.

KL, I see where you are coming from with the above, I too have questioned some of those things you mentioned.

To tell you the Truth, every time I pray it's always to "Our Father" and I end it with "in Jesus name."

The thing thatgets to me is that I have been hearing people say the Catholic church is the false religion spoken of in the book if Revelation.

Yet these people don't even realize that the Catholic church is the one who chose the book of Revelation to be in the bible!

If it wasn't for them, there wouldn't even be a book of revelation.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
My point is EVERY Christian believes what they believe because the Catholic church chose the books of the new testament.

I think you're going to have to back that up with more than just saying the Council of Nicea chose them...What are you basing that statement on?

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
What's with the HATE in general?

All over the world?
Hate is hate.
God is love.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

I think you're going to have to back that up with more than just saying the Council of Nicea chose them...What are you basing that statement on?

Greeting junglejake, I'm glad to see you are interested in this.

With the passage of time the Church discerned which writings were truly Apostolic and which were not. It was a prolonged struggle taking place over several centuries in which the Church decided what books were her own. As part of the process of discerning, the Church met together in council. These various Church councils met to deal with many varied issues, among which was the canon of Scripture.

These councils met to discern and for­mally confirm what was already generally accepted within the Church at large. They did not legislate Scripture as much as they set forth what had become self-evident truth and practice within the Churches of God. The councils sought to proclaim the common mind of the Church and reflect the unanimity of faith, practice, and tradition of the local Churches represented.

The Church Councils provide us with specific records in which the Church spoke clearly and in unison as to what constitutes Scripture. Among the many councils that met during the first four centuries, two particularly stand out:

1. The Council of Laodicea, which met in Asia Minor, around A.D. 363. This council stated that only canonical books of the Old and New Testaments should be used in the Church. It forbade reading other books in Church. It enumerated the canonical books of our present Old and New Testaments, with the exception of the Apocalypse of Saint John. This is the first council which clearly listed the canonical books. Its decisions were widely accepted in the Eastern Church.

2. The Third Council of Carthage, which met in North Africa, around A.D. 397.This Council, attended by Augustine, provided a full list of the canonical books of both Old and New Testaments. The 27 books of the present day New Testament were accepted as canonical. It also held that these books should be read in the Church as Divine Scripture to the exclusion of all others. This Council was widely accepted as authoritative in the West.
www.antiochian.org... _Where_Why/Who_Gave_Us_The_New_Testament.htm

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

These councils met to discern and for­mally confirm what was already generally accepted within the Church at large. They did not legislate Scripture as much as they set forth what had become self-evident truth and practice within the Churches of God.

Given that, I still don't understand where you get the idea the Catholic church defined what was and was not canon...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
JJ, it said it in # 2

2. The Third Council of Carthage, which met in North Africa, around A.D. 397.This Council, attended by Augustine, provided a full list of the canonical books of both Old and New Testaments. The 27 books of the present day New Testament were accepted as canonical. It also held that these books should be read in the Church as Divine Scripture to the exclusion of all others. This Council was widely accepted as authoritative in the West.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here is another link for anyone else who is interested.
ic.net...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
FSOA Wasn't it supposed to be god who decided the bible??? Or were the early catholic church leaders charged by god to create the bible? If so then wouldn't that make all other christian religions false? As they dont follow the religion set out by god and jesus to the catholics. So really how many true christians are there and what version of catholicism is the true one?

I mean your probably a roman catholic yes??? But wasnt it the Eastern Orthodox church that decided what was to be in the canon?? So wouldn't that make the roman catholics the wrong religion???

Just a thought!!!!!

G

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
shihulud, did you not read the links I provided?

No, the eastern orthodox churh did not decide what was to be put in the bible.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   

You answer but one question!!!! And as usual it is the one that conflicts with your beliefs

Even if rome had some jurisdiction in this matter, Constantine (who wasnt even a christian for most of his life) was the head of the EOC and played it to his advatage.

However wouldnt you think the original christian church would be the one that james set up in jerusalem, you know the one that paul superceded with his own version for the gentiles????? The Roman Catholic Church????

So it would seem that catholics are still wrong and the bible is therefore total crap decided by a fake religion!!

G

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Well, I certainly don't hate the Catholic Church, but the very reason you site as why we should be grateful is the reason I don't like the Catholic Church. Who are they to decide to reveal only part of the religious writings to the people of the world? Who are they to sift through and pick and choose and remove things they don't want to people to know?

And the other reasons I would never consider them as valid is the way they oppress women and the cover-up of the abuses by priests.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Do you know who chose the books that would be in the new testament?

The very books you base you faith upon, the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The acts of the apostles all the way to the book of Revelation.

No matter what you may have against us, always remember that reason you believe what you believe is because the Catholic church chose the books of the new testament.

Im a non-believer but i dont hate the church or anyone else for that matter. But if your above statement is a reflection of Catholics i can certainly understand why some may dislike Catholics.

Your statement above comes across as an extremely arrogant put down, ie, so what you dont like us but we invented everything you believe in so nahnahnanana. Who cares who chose them, didnt it all come from God, or is that all just a sham after all.

Not very humble from someone called "thehumbleone" imo.

[edit on 7/3/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud

You answer but one question!!!! And as usual it is the one that conflicts with your beliefs

Even if rome had some jurisdiction in this matter, Constantine (who wasnt even a christian for most of his life) was the head of the EOC and played it to his advatage.

However wouldnt you think the original christian church would be the one that james set up in jerusalem, you know the one that paul superceded with his own version for the gentiles????? The Roman Catholic Church????

So it would seem that catholics are still wrong and the bible is therefore total crap decided by a fake religion!!

G

Shihulud, you are wrong once again.

You obviously have no idea how these books were chosen.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Im a non-believer but i dont hate the church or anyone else for that matter. But if your above statement is a reflection of Catholics i can certainly understand why some may dislike Catholics.

Your statement above comes across as an extremely arrogant put down, ie, so what you dont like us but we invented everything you believe in so nahnahnanana. Who cares who chose them, didnt it all come from God, or is that all just a sham after all.

Not very humble from someone called "thehumbleone" imo.

[edit on 7/3/07 by mojo4sale]

I think you're imaging my post is arrogant and a put down.

How could I put down someone who believes the same thing as me? It doesn't make sense.

How is it arrogant?

The Catholic church did choose the books did they not?

The Catholic church is the true church of Jesus Christ, so you are right to say that it came from God. The same church that Jesus Christ told Peter he would be the foundation upon which the church is built.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud

G

Shihulud, you are wrong once again.

You obviously have no idea how these books were chosen.

Typical christian with your superior attitude Oh yes I "OBVIOUSLY" have no idea how these books were chosen, I dont read the same religious works that explain all these things that you do. YOu are privy to some other information that the rest of the world doesnt know about. - once someone says something you dont like about your version a religion - then its up in arms with your "I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG" attitude, and your "MY BELIEF IN MY GOD SUPERCEDES ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY". In fact it totally smacks of "I AM GOD BELIEVE IN ME"

Well **** *** (if only expletives were allowed). Who died and designated you the the knower of all things ancient????? Sorry, the knower of all things???

G

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join