It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien on Ilkley Moor Photographed?- 1 December 1987

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   

This 4' 6" being that is believed to be an alien was seen, pursued, and photographed by Police Officer Alan Godfrey on Ilkley Moor in the county of Yorkshire on 1 December 1987.

How did they work out the size?

Godfrey claims that he came across the alien, which he describes as small, humanoid, and green, while crossing the moor. He apparently startled the creature, who took off in a sprint before it stopped at a safe distance ahead of the officer. The being then bent its right arm, then raised it, as if to signal Godfrey. At this point Godfrey took the photograph which seemed to cause the creature to run off again, this time behind a large rock formation.

Godfrey chased the alien around the rocks and stopped dead in his tracks, amazed a large gleaming silver-domed metallic disk shaped craft which stood in the clearing before him and then in a flash it shot off into the sky with phenomenal speed. Shortly after the incident, Godfrey noticed a time discrepancy of approximately two hours. Additionally, the polarity of his compass somehow became reversed, pointing south instead of north.

The compass was sent to the Institute of Science and Technology at the University of Manchester for inspection. They concluded that either the compass itself internally was a very strong magnetic field from a magnet, or had been subjected to a rapidly applied or "pulsed" magnetic field that was the result of extreme amounts of generated energy.

More on link.
www.iwasabducted.com...

And picture.

Did a search on ATS and found nothing, but this is quite an old case, anyone know more?

Looks more like a bigfoot picture of some kind.

[edit on 8-1-2007 by Denied]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
When I went to secondary school there was a book with a whole load of info on this case, with pictures, maps etc. Of course that book is probably long gone and plus I dont have access to it anymore, but I'm sure somewhere about on the internet there must be that info.

I'm sure there was something to do with a pocket watch in this case as well.

I'll try looking.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Found more information.
And MUCH better quality pictures.

The picture taken of the creature was in color, and what is mostly available on the net is a cropped, black and white photo. We have a scanned copy of the large color photo and a large version of the black and white film. See them both

To add.

Editors Note: I have been told on more than one occasion that the name Alan Godfrey used in this article is erroneous; that the ex-policeman's name was really Philip Spencer, which is true.

Whats really strange is at the bottom of the page on this link i was reading is a ATS link?
An old thread with not that much information in, but put as a reference?
ufocasebook.com...

author: B. J. Booth

source:

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread57218/pg1

And here is the original image.

He arrived just in time to get a glimpse of a flying craft with a domed top rise up from the moor and disappear into the sky. Atop the dome was a whitish square. He was not able to get a photograph of the object.

He states this, then the article goes on to suggest this?

Something strange was noticed in the picture. Appearing on the hill at exactly the spot where Godfrey says the UFO was, is a white square. Could it be that Godfrey had gotten a part of the UFO in the shot unknowingly? Godfrey was not sure.

Do you see it?, i dont.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
This incident has always been one of my favorites, based on the picture. I after seeing all these snaps in the thread, do anyone have a very high-resolution version? I would like to do some Photoshop work on it, and see if I can tell some more..

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
do anyone have a very high-resolution version? I would like to do some Photoshop work on it, and see if I can tell some more..

Well, in my second post, that site says, they scanned a copied photo version.

img363.imageshack.us...

As stated here.

The picture taken of the creature was in color, and what is mostly available on the net is a cropped, black and white photo. We have a scanned copy of the large color photo and a large version of the black and white film. See them both

Dont know about a high res version though?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
QUOTE : [ from the article ]

It is interesting to note that although skeptics tend to debunk abduction testimonies derived from hypnosis, Godfrey himself had sent people to prison by using the same type of hypnotic regression testimony as a police officer.

really ?

i was unaware that such testimony was admissible in british courts

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I did read that bit, which sounds fishy.

But i did find this.

Now hypnosis practice is growing stronger and still admissible in courtroom testimonies as long as the stringent criteria and guidelines are met.

Not sure if that includes the UK?

On a side note.

Russia generally uses hypnosis in criminal investigations.

www.answers.com...

Under subject heading "Forensic application"

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
That picture has always disturbed me. I usually dont believe in alien pics. But that image has something indeed.

And plus, taken by a Police Officer.

Wonder, why didnt he take more pictures of the supossedly alien or the craft?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
From transcript.

AG It's quite small. He's got big pointed ears, it's got big eyes. They're quite dark, he hasn't got a nose he's only got a little mouth. And his hands are enormous. And his arms are long. He's got funny feet.

Now look at this picture again.

He has huge arms and hands in proportion to his body.

JS You mentioned big hands? Can you say anymore about the hands?

AG It's got three big fingers, like sausages. Big sausages. They're just very big. Bigger than my hands.

From here.
ufocasebook.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orion437

And plus, taken by a Police Officer.

As if Police Officers were beyond suspicion of pulling pranks and hoaxes. Do you read your local news? Most every city has had bad cops. Not saying this guy is one of them, but just because he is a police officer doesn't add much credence to the story, imo.

Wonder, why didnt he take more pictures of the supossedly alien or the craft?

A key question, and a good one too.
This is where many UFO/Alien sightings fail. Usually only a single picture.

If I were to witness something that I believed not from this world, I would be taking as many pictures as I had film, or digital media nowdays.

2 cents.

edit = clarity.

[edit on 1/8/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

If I were to witness something that I believed not from this world, I would be taking as many pictures as I had film, or digital media nowdays.

Well when i read this, he says the following regarding that.

Along with his camera, Godfrey also took a compass to navigate through the fog before sufficient daylight shone through the moor. As he was searching for some photo angles, suddenly he caught the sight of a strange looking being in the slopes ahead of him. He aimed and snapped a picture of the creature which seemed to be gesturing for him to stay away. It then ran away. Godfrey gathered his wits and took off in pursuit of the being. Today he says he doesn't know why. It was just an impulse reaction. He arrived just in time to get a glimpse of a flying craft with a domed top rise up from the moor and disappear into the sky. Atop the dome was a whitish square. He was not able to get a photograph of the object.

www.ufocasebook.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

It is interesting to note that although skeptics tend to debunk abduction testimonies derived from hypnosis, Godfrey himself had sent people to prison by using the same type of hypnotic regression testimony as a police officer.

really ?

Hi Ignorant_Ape,

I got your U2U seeking my comments about the law on this point. I can confirm that testimony obtained under hypnosis can be adduced in criminal trials in the United Kingdom. However, the other side are free to adduce expert evidence about the limitations of evidence obtained in this way.

One of the expert report criticising evidence obtained under hypnosis was quoted in a recent case on this point. I'll dig out my note of the relevant expert report and post a brief quote here.

By the way, this thread contains several significant factual inaccuracies about the relevant alleged encounter on Ilkley Moor in Yorkshire in 1987...

Kind Regards,

Isaac Koi

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

By the way, this thread contains several significant factual inaccuracies about the relevant alleged encounter on Ilkley Moor in Yorkshire in 1987...

Please explain.

The pictures are impressive.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This is one of the most impressive potential alien pics that I have seen. I have heard of this story; but have not seen any pics until today.

I also wonder about there only being one picture. However, I guess it could be possible that the officer only had one good chance to take a photo. He might have had to run too hard and maybe was worried about losing track of the ET if he tried too hard to get other pictures.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

really ?

Hi Ignorant_Ape,

In my post the other day, I mentioned that I'd look up my notes of one of the relevant cases since it included quotes from an expert report.

The relevant case was decided by the Court of Appeal in England in February 2006 (R v C - [2006] All ER (D) 36 (Feb)).

The case concerned evidence relating to a complaint of sexual abuse, with the first complaint arising during the course of hypnotherapy. A defence expert prepared a report, in which he criticised the methods and techniques used by the therapist. The Court of Appeal held that that report should not have been excluded by the Judge, since it may have affected the decision of the jury and contained information on matters which may otherwise be outside their knowledge.

As an example of information which the typical member of a jury may be unaware, the Court of Appeal referred to the following passage from the defence expert report:

"hypnosis is not, as some imagine, a key to memory. There is no power to recover inaccessible material. What is lost (or perhaps never stored) cannot be accessed by hypnotherapy or other methods. What [hypnotherapy] does is just to facilitate the process of imagination and suggestibility. People vary in their response to hypnotherapy, but, for someone who is susceptible, events imagined during a session feel extremely real. The reality is that such a person can come to accept them as memories of real past events, and a false memory can be formed".

Kind Regards,

Isaac

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I remember this pic surfacing, but I didn't know
Alan Godfrey was the photographer.
The first I heard of P.C Godfrey was when he
supposedly saw the rotating diamond craft while
driving his police 'panda' van.
He apparently first thought it was a bus in the road
and as he got closer saw a silver-metal object that
resembled a diamond viewed from the side, the facets
at the top being possibly windows.
P.C Godfrey reported this sighting and later mentioned
possible 'missing time'.

I've seen an interview of Mr. Godfrey under hypnosis
and he seemed very distressed when the interviewer
asks what the alledged aliens told him.
He commented that it 'hurt' him when he thought about
talking about it.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The witness/photographer/abductee is Philip Spencer,
former policeman who had the encounter and abduction
in December 1, 1987.

Spencer gave an exclusive interview to Jun Ichi Yaoi from
Nippon-TV and the photo was analyzed in Japan by experts.

Philip Spencer also made a drawing of the small being and
the japanese tv crew made a great recreation of the incident
in the exact location where Spencer had the encounter.

The british UFO Magazine also published a story about the
Ilkley Moore Alien photo and in both cases the story resulted
inconclusive.

i75.photobucket.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
[edit on 10/1/07 by elysiumfire]

[edit on 10/1/07 by elysiumfire]

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Hi There,

This is a story I came to know quite well sometime later during the eighties. By the way, Godfrey's encounter took place during November of 1980, not 1987.

His encounter occurred at a small town called Todmorden, which is no more than 10/15 miles from the town I grew up in called Burnley, close to the East Lancs, West Yorkshire border. You can Google for maps.

At the close of 1977, Britain was beginning to go through a number of UFO flaps that would continue into the eighties culminating in the Rendelsham Forest case. The point I want to make about this are is that it is dominated by Pendle Hill, and Lancashire is known as the Witch County. Pendle is famous for the witch trials that took place in 1612 when 19 alleged witches (all poor local folk) were hanged at Lancaster gaol (there were two families of witches, each dominated by a matriarch, called Demdike and Chattox respectively. Demdike escaped the hangman's noose by dying in gaol).
Pendle Hill was recently made more infamous by the TV series Most Haunted, but it is also the hill on whose summit George Fox had his vision/revelation and thereafter formed the Quaker movement. The area has always been steeped in dark and forboding folklore and legend, with witches, devils, ghosts and spectres, imps and goblins, etc, and because it is on the border with West Yorkshire, and the moors, it is a desolate and unforgiving place.
Another famous place is the village of Haworth, 12 miles from Burnley, and 6 miles from Colne (where I was born) right on the Lancs/Yorks border. Haworth is where the Bronte's lived, and close by are a number of landmarks, halls and manors, which were used in their novels, such as Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre (Wycoller Hall as Ferndean Manor). This is the area, and into it came the UFOs.

In 1977, a friend and I were making our way past the high rise flats that spanned the length of Trafalgar road (the flats are no longer extant). We noticed someone up ahead whom was standing still and looking up into the cold, late October night. We followed his gaze...

Three large orange-coloured orbs/discs were circling around each other, blinking off now and again, and then reappearing in a different position. They moved fast, in straight floats and curved velocities, and sudden 'dead' stops. Then they would seem to converge upon each other and share the same position looking as if there was only one orb/disc, then suddenly, at very fast speeds, they would separate, and fly about in different directions. We watched these antics for about five or ten minutes, but the cold of the evening drove us on to our destination. This was my one and only UFO sighting, but these 'lights-in-the-sky' over Burnley in 1977 were seen by many people, and occured two years before the Godfrey incident. One interesting piece of note is that during the night of the Godfrey incident, lights-in-the-sky, similar to the ones I witnessed in '77, were again seen around the East lancs area, and the West Yorkshire area. Could they be related?

The Godfrey incident: www.ufoevidence.org...

Addendum: the link appears to be not working, so I'd like to quote the page in full..

Police constable Alan Godfrey's abduction in West Yorkshire, England

Date
November 28, 1980 Location
Todmorden, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Summary: Police officer Alan Godfrey was on routine patrol when he encountered a metallic disc with a dome and a row of windows. Suddenly, there was a burst of light, and he found himself 100 yards farther down the road, and the UFO was gone. Under hypnosis later, Godfrey recalled being struck by a beam of light which floated him into the craft, and meeting a human-like being named Joseph, whose clothing was very Biblical in nature. Aboard the craft, he was physically examined and asked questions.

Type of Case/Report: StandardCase
Hynek Classification: CE4
Shape of Object(s): Disc
Special Features/Characteristics: Abduction, Missing Time, Police, E-M Effects, Portholes/Windows, Witness Sketch, Witness Photo

Type of Case/Report: StandardCase
Hynek Classification: CE4
Shape of Object(s): Disc
Special Features/Characteristics: Abduction, Missing Time, Police, E-M Effects, Portholes/Windows, Witness Sketch, Witness Photo

Full Report / Article

Source: Jenny Randles

In November and December 1980, the eastern side of Britain was experiencing a major UFO sighting wave. There were chases of UFOs by police cars near the coast, a UFO that overflew an oil rig in the North Sea, and the wave culminated in the famous events on the East Anglian coast at Rendlesham Forest. Just a month before these landings beside those NATO air bases, one of the most impressive alien abduction cases took place in the small Penninemill town of Todmorden, West Yorkshire, right in the centre of Britain's most active window area known locally as "UFO Alley".

Police Constable Alan Godfrey was on patrol on the night of 28 November 1980. Just before dawn he drove along Burnley Road on the edge of Todmorden looking for some cows that had been reported missing. They were only found after sun-up, mysteriously relocated in a rain-soaked field without hoofmarks to indicate their passage.

Giving up his nocturnal hunt, Godfrey was about to go back to base to sign off duty when he saw a large mass a few hundred yards ahead. At first, he thought it was a bus coming towards him that took workers to their jobs in town and that he knew passed about 5:00 a.m. But as he approached, he realized that it was something very strange. It was a fuzzy oval that rotated at such speed and hovered so low over the otherwise deserted highway that it was causing the bushes by the side to shake. The police officer stopped, propped onto his windscreen a pad that was in the patrol car to make sketches of any road accidents, and drew the UFO. Then there was a burst of light, and the next thing he knew he was driving his car again, further along Burnley Road, with no sign of the UFO.

Godfrey turned around and examined the spot where the UFO had hovered. The road was very wet as it had rained heavily earlier in the night. But just at this one location was a circular patch where the roadway had been dried in a swirled pattern. Only when back at the police station did he realise that it was a little later than he had expected - although any missing time was probably no greater than 15 minutes from estimates later taken on site.

Concerned as to possible ridicule, Godfrey at first chose not to make an official report, but changed his mind later that day when he discovered he was not alone. After breakfast that morning, a driver who had been on Burnley Road three miles further out at Cliviger reported seeing a brilliant white object and contacted Todmorden police. The time matched that of Alan Godfrey's. Furthermore, a police patrol from an adjacent force (Halifax) had been engaged in a stakeout for stolen motorcycles on the moors of the Calder Valley and had witnessed a brilliant blue-white glow descending into the valley towards Todmorden shortly before Godfrey experienced his close encounter. Their story, when it reached Todmorden police station, formed a second match.

Encouraged by this news Godfrey filed an official report, but was surprised when police chose to release the story to the local newspaper the following week. From here, UFOlogists discovered the case and a lengthy investigation was mounted by a Manchester-based UFO group.

Although Alan Godfrey had no further conscious recall of the missing time, he did have increasingly confused memory of the sequence of events surrounding the sighting (with an unexplained image of seeing himself outside the car during the sighting). There was also puzzling physical evidence. His police-issue boots were split on the sole, as if he had been dragged along the floor and they had caught on something. He also reported a previous history of seeing other strange things and having experienced at least one earlier time lapse as a youth—factors that UFOlogists have come to recognise as common with abduction cases.

When sure that all conscious testimony had been recorded, Godfrey agreed to be hypnotically regressed by a Manchester psychiatrist eight months after the incident. He eventually had several other sessions with different therapists, and his recall in later sessions was video-taped. The doctor refused permission to the UFO group for the first session to be recorded.

The hypnotic testimony is very odd, and Godfrey was never to be sure what really happened. Under regression he told of the bright light stopping the car engine, causing his radio and police handset both to be filled with static and then to be swamped by blinding light as he lost consciousness. His next recall was of being inside a strange room, more like a house than a spaceship, complete with a most unexpected large black dog. He was studied by a heavily bearded man who telepathically conveyed that his name was "Yosef" and whose clothing was very Biblical in nature. Assisting Yosef were several small robot-like creatures "the size of a five-year-old lad" and with "a head shaped like a lamp". They are reminiscent of the "Grays" of UFO lore; although with major differences.

Godfrey was supposedly asked questions, told that he "knew" Josef, and was promised a later encounter. But apparently he was not subjected to the more familiar indignities of abduction stories (especially from the US), such as bodily fluid samples and rectal probes. Although there were periods of missing memory, the hypnotic recall that did emerge was a curious hybrid of mythic images, UFO case elements and dream like sequences.

When asked his opinion as to the reality status of this hypnotic testimony, Alan Godfrey was refreshingly honest. He told me he was certain that the UFO encounter was real, but he could not determine whether the story offered by hypnosis was a dream, a fantasy, reality, or a mixture of all three.

Unhappily, Alan Godfrey suffered terribly after this encounter. When I first wrote up the investigation (just before the regression hypnosis began) for Flying Saucer Review magazine in 1981, I deliberately changed his identity to help protect him; although this was probably futile because the story had already been featured in the local press under Godfrey's real name.

However, despite my refusal to assist them, a tabloid reporter traced the witness and devoted a front-page banner headline article to the story — read by millions over the Sunday lunch—which led to the officer being called to explain himself before his superiors. He was forced to undergo medical investigation to determine his "status", but was pronounced psychologically fit and healthy. Yet after some years feeling that he would never be allowed to forget his sighting, he took advice to honorably resign over an unrelated physical injury incurred during an incident in which he bravely intervened to avert a crime.

Todmorden, both before 1980 and in the years since, has been a hotbed of alien contact activity with several other major encounters having been investigated, including another abduction of a truck driver from Burnley Road only a little further out of Todmorden and on the same highway.

Case ID: 722

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
IMPORTANT: This thread is about the Ilkley Moor Alien photograph
not about Alan Godfrey's case. Both are two diferent cases from
the UK. As I said the Ilkley Moor Alien photograph was taken by
Philip Spencer who was also like Godfrey a policeman.
Alan Godfrey never took a photograph of his experience.

In order to avoid more confusion just check Ilkley Moor Alien
on the Internet and see the Philip Spencer story and photo or
read this report from BJ Booth:

www.ufocasebook.com...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join