It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prices of boxsets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
hey, Ive been thinking alot about buying season boxsets of series like 24 & X-Files (maybe LOST). Ive been on ebay looking for cheap options but most of the so-called cheap options are something like £2.99 for one disc of four. This is quite annoying, do any of you know any "good" places I could get them from. or if any of you want to "sell" any of the titles u2u me and we could arrange a method of doing so.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Not really sure how to go about buying cheap box sets, but I know all to well the price that comes with it. I am a bit of a fanatic with DVD's.

Between my girlfriend and I, we own,

7 Seasons of Everybody Loves Raymond
10 Seasons of Friends (She has every season, I assume it is 10)
4 Seasons of That 70's Show
4 Seasons of Family Guy
6 Seasons of the Simpsons
3 Seasons of Fresh Prince of Bel Air
3 Seasons of The O.C.
2 Seasons of Laguna Beach
3 Seasons of Seinfeld
5 Seasons of Gilmore Girls
2 Seasons of The X-Files
3 Seasons of Law & Order
2 Seasons of Law & Order SVU
1 Season of Prison Break
2 Seasons of Punk'd
All of the seasons of Sex and the City. Not sure how many there is, but she owns the box set of the series.

That's not even all of them, but I can not be bothered to go and look what else there is. Other than those I probably own 250+ DVD's, and 150+ VHS. Stopped buying VHS a long time ago, but could never throw out the collection.

If I were to sell all of my movies for the price I paid, I would take in a few thousand easily. Maybe more, but I've never had the urge to actually see how much.

A new thing I have found a large interest in is music DVD's and stand up comedy. I've invested in some Beatles DVD's, along with McCartney and Lennon live performances. Some Garth Brooks, The Eagles, and INXS.

By my avatar you can tell I am a fan of Dane Cook. I've grabbed his two new dvd's that were just released.

Getting depressed thinking of the money I have spent on these.

A normal box set would normally run around $50 I believe. A lot are in the $60-70 range, and some are as low as $30-40.

[edit on 4-1-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
bajeesus
, i feel my collection is a little inferior
) consisting of random movies and 1 disc of the xfiles season 1 boxset
)

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I have what you would call, an addiction. Two weeks ago I went into a movie store and bought eight movies. ... eight. Haven't even watched any of them yet. But I take comfort in the fact that almost any movie or episode I want to watch, I can just pop in the DVD player. Rarely have to rent a movie... I guess that's a positive.

...I think I need help.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
LOL, I guess you could say it is a healthy addiction. as long as you can still pay the bills you should be alright.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I purchased both first and second seasons of Lost a couple of months ago, for about half the price they would go for in retail stores. If you have a video store by your home, such as Video Stop, that sells new and used DVD sets, you should buy from them. In total, I would have paid $110 for both sets, but ended up paying only $45 for both.

Also, the NBC site hosts every episode for you to watch as well for free, but do be warned that they're all low quality and can't be saved.

[edit on 7-1-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The only thing I don't like about Boxsets are the redicuous prices that are tacked onto "niche" and "cult" genres. The Farscape Season 1 costs 80 bucks last time I check...

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

If you have a video store by your home, such as Video Stop, that sells new and used DVD sets, you should buy from them. In total, I would have paid $110 for both sets, but ended up paying only $45 for both.

Unfortunately, no I dont
but thats some deal you got $45, here in Scotland its something like £25-£35 for each part (12 episodes) of each series, that would work out around $38-$53 in US currency for 12 episodes. You Americans get it good.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yeah I normally check out Movie Gallery. They normally have a buy 2, get 2 free policy. The eight movies I picked up about two weeks ago only ran me about $70. Derailed, Grandma's Boy, The Family Stone, all relatively new releases. All of the others were released around the same time, so to get that many movies for the price I did, you won't find me complaining.

JbT

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Two words for you guys =)

[Bit Torrent]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Not only is that illegal, but likely to get you in trouble if caught. Besides, the files must be massive in size. I can't imagine how long it would take to download an entire season.

I compared some prices from online sites selling the Lost DVD, and the safest and cheapest so far has been through Amazon.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I've downloaded in the past, but I have not done it in almost four years or more.

For me, it's not about watching the movie itself. People collect things, I like to collect movies. Pirating movies is all too common these days, I have no interest in it. My problem these days is finding a place to properly organize all of my movies and box sets.

top topics

join