It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look how serious the US is about Terrorism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
www.smh.com.au...

I read that and it made my blood boil, this is how we here in Australia are backed up by the good ole US of A. We show blind support for the US and its wars but in return we get asolutely nothing back in the way of loyalty.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
That is some BS, at the least they could allow him to be interrogated. Don't have to hand him over, but he could reveil some info if it was allowed.

Tell you what, do not be upset with all Americans, I for one would gladly hand his arse over if it helped my Aussie friends.

All those people who say the Government is not orchestrating things behind the scenes, are the same ones who don't want to know. Too bad, even if every one could just be open minded enough to entertain the concept, as much as they would those who are opposite them, would make things better.

It is a shame...

But it seems they prefer to hate, too bad.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Let them hate, so long as they fear.

It's the above mentioned ignorance from alot of citizens, as mentioned in the above post, combined with the US Administrations "in your face" deceptiveness and corruption that really gets by blood boiling.

I can't call myself a nationalistic person, as I wouldnt mind living in any other country, for now, I'm in Canada. But one thing I am proud to say is, I'm NOT living in the United States of America. Whatever is coming their way, is going to come rather hard. You don't go treading on the world, and expect there to be no reprecussions.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
You don't go treading on the world

Here you go Johnsky, check this out, might be to your likeing.
Don't tread

[edit on 22-12-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hey, thanks for the thought, but I get redirected away from the GIF when trying to go there. I get directed to the DNS hosts splash page... let me try a few things though.

[edit on 22-12-2006 by johnsky]

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
There we go, a little directory searching and I've found what you were trying to point me to.

Very fitting, the snake that is. Some would relate that to bush's tongue.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
mazzroth, get used to it.

Atleast you're halfway around the world... as a Canuck, I can tell you that most dealings with the US are strictly two way. Ie, Their way or no way.

I don't confuse American people with American Administration, but yes... dealing with the USA is an incredibly frustrating thing. You can back 'em up (Afghanistan), be their friends ('cause we're supposed to be their closest ally), be there for them during times of crisis (during 9-11, Katrina, even the big blackout), and they will still make every attempt to screw you over with any chance they get (softwood tarrifs, border-fees, the NAU, mad cow, the Avro Arrow, etc, etc, etc).

Is it any wonder that I choked on my beer when I heard Bush ask the infamous question, "Why do they hate us?"?

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hahah, I spat coffee through my nose when I heard he said that!

Yeah, as Canadians we know better than most why the world hates the US.
I used to work alot of technical support jobs. Inherrantly, working for a Canadian tech support center, also means you'll be dealing with American customers.

I have to say my distaste for Americans is not at all unfounded... NAY , its WARRANTED!
I cant believe the differences I found between American and Canadians on the phone.

Canadians were allways patient, polite, and had some form of intelligence behind them, and most had made some form of an attempt to correct the issue before calling us as the last resort.

The typical American called us the very instant anything didnt look like they were used to. They would get on the phone hopping mad, completley unwilling to do ANY troubleshooting steps you prescribe, seem to think that you have some sort of "fix it" button at your desk, and generally try to make your day a living nightmare... all because they simply couldnt connect to the internet for 3 minutes while the servers reset, or could remember how to get their ****ing e-mail!

And yes, in person most of them are like that too! Every damned time I go down to the states, I don't hear one please, thankyou, or youre welcome until I get back to Canada! Everyone rushes towards elevators to ensure they have a spot to stand, and NOBODY holds the door open! If you attempt to strike up a conversation with a random person they act as if youre the lowest piece of crap theyve ever seen!
Here in Canada, I'm so used to walking up to random people, asking about their day, and winding up in 20 minute conversations while travelling on the bus to wherever we're going. And they are allways apollogetic to break off the conversation because their stop is here... theres no need to be apollogetic, but they do it because its POLITE!

I'm sorry, if I continue, I'll say something I'll regret.
And no, this is no bias, EVERY time I meet an American, I think to myself, "maybe this one is different" yeah, right.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Whoa there, big fella...

Last Summer I was working for a tour bus company. About 90% of our clients were American. Yes, many were arseholes, but many were great people that did things like insisting on taking me out for beers after their tours.

There is a definite difference in our cultural norms (the whole Canadians are more polite thing), but on a day to day basis, I meet quite a few Canadian arseholes too.

It's unjust to paint the whole population with the same brush. It's not fair to expect them to measure up to our cultural values.

Avoiding over-generalizing is an important step towards Denying Ignorance.

All that said, I know how you feel and it's easy to fall into the trap. Hopefully you'll meet some yanks that can help breakdown your notions of the stereo-typical "Bad American".

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Well I have to say that its pretty obvious that "Karma" will eventually come into play here as its pretty obvious when you have a Psychopathic Bully in the neihbourhood it wont take long before everyone else in the hood gangs up and sorts the Bully out.

I never started out being Anti-American but after years and years of this crap I can't help but feel im angling toward that direction quickly.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Johnsky-

I'm sorry you only get to meet the rude people here in the US. There are people with manners left here, but they're getting harder to find by the day. The youngsters are "to cool" to be polite, and the older folks are generally totally self-absorbed and scared of most people, anyway. There are exceptions to this, of course, but as a general rule of thumb, it seems to work.

I'm not sure, but I would guess that most Americans you meet are northerners. I grew up in Connecticut, and I think northern Americans are to tense. Maybe it's the cold, but it's cold in Canada, too. I find the farther south you go, the friendlier the people are. I find people here in Florida to be pretty easy-going, and quite willing to "set a spell and have a chat", and the friendliest folks I ever met were in Hawaii (go figure).

Robert Heinlein once wrote that one of the earliest signs of a collapsing society was the loss of manners. Loss of manners is equivalent to a loss of respect, and with no respect, you can have no society. With no respect for laws or the common good, there is no society.

Yes, our leadership is totally two-faced, and will gladly pork over their friends and neighbors if it means more money($). In that light, of course they wouldn't co-operate with the Aussies (who I also hear are friendly and polite. The few I've met certainly were). If, by some freak chance, they ever actually caught "all the terrorists",no more war on terror, no more money. Slimy, but true.

So even though we have chuds for leaders, and the majority of us seem to have no sense of polite behavior, don't lose hope! One day, you might just meet some of us that remember their pleases and thank-yous

Sorry to end this little chat, but I have to go now.

This is my stop.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Yes, I suppose I do paint you guys with a broad brush.

Perhaps I've just had the unfortunate coincedence of meeting the wrong Americans. Which is why when I meet each one I think to myself "maybe this one is different".

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps it's just that I've met only norther Americans. I hear alot about southern hospitality, but I have yet to come to the south myself.

Thanks for the chat my friend.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I have to say, I love Canada and Canadians. (Literally true: I have four ex-girlfriends in Canada, only two of whom are Canadian - two are UK transplants.) And while I have many treasured US friends, I didn't like the vibe of many of the Americans I met. I spent some time in Texas and wow, (generalising here) didn't much care for them. Most of the US citizens I really liked and bonded with were black, for some reason. (I have my theories about this, of course.)

But I loved Hawaii, and most of the people I met there were really cool. It's the only place I've been to in the US I could live. (Maybe San Francisco) I think I'd go nuts if I had to live in Texas. The number of people I could have a conversation with there I found to be very low... at least the kind of conversation I enjoyed, and didn't walk away from thinking, wtf????

But I love that Canadian politeness thing, and the willingness to chat. Very different from the UK, where if you chat to people, you're marked out as weird, possibly a paedo, and definitely a nuisance. OK, I exaggerate, but only slightly. When I was working in London I took a tube (subway) home and these Scottish guys, a little drunk but nice, friendly drunk, tried to start a conversation with this very cute girl. They were just being nice, not offensive in the least, and one of them said, "oh, I'm sorry, my friend here's from the highlands, he doesn't realise you can't just talk to people here". I almost felt ashamed for being a Londoner.

And about the way the US treats its allies? Yeah, what he said....

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Well America did support the IRA, sending very large funds to the "boys back home".
That soon stopped after 9/11 though.

It's a crime that innocent Americans have to pay for their governments corruptions and deviousness, and Britain too.

Nothing surprises me anymore, the bush family are more gangsters than anything, and it's no wonder people like David Icke and Alex Jones are so popular.

Bush # on the whole world recently when he refused to back the Kyoto agreement so one country is'nt going to bother him much.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
so whats going on between america and iraq now?? they got saddam hussain and they destroyed 100pc of the infrastructure of iraq, what else are they after??

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I used to work alot of technical support jobs. Inherrantly, working for a Canadian tech support center, also means you'll be dealing with American customers.

I have to say my distaste for Americans is not at all unfounded... NAY , its WARRANTED!
I cant believe the differences I found between American and Canadians on the phone.

Canadians were allways patient, polite, and had some form of intelligence behind them, and most had made some form of an attempt to correct the issue before calling us as the last resort.

The typical American called us the very instant anything didnt look like they were used to. They would get on the phone hopping mad, completley unwilling to do ANY troubleshooting steps you prescribe, seem to think that you have some sort of "fix it" button at your desk, and generally try to make your day a living nightmare... all because they simply couldnt connect to the internet for 3 minutes while the servers reset, or could remember how to get their ****ing e-mail!

And yes, in person most of them are like that too! Every damned time I go down to the states, I don't hear one please, thankyou, or youre welcome until I get back to Canada! Everyone rushes towards elevators to ensure they have a spot to stand, and NOBODY holds the door open! If you attempt to strike up a conversation with a random person they act as if youre the lowest piece of crap theyve ever seen!
Here in Canada, I'm so used to walking up to random people, asking about their day, and winding up in 20 minute conversations while travelling on the bus to wherever we're going. And they are allways apollogetic to break off the conversation because their stop is here... theres no need to be apollogetic, but they do it because its POLITE!

And no, this is no bias, EVERY time I meet an American, I think to myself, "maybe this one is different" yeah, right.

I'm American... and I dont care!!! Those are manners, in other countries lots of more people are more formal/informal than we are. In America we only talk to the people we know and we are rude to other people we dont know but we arent rude to them you only think that we're rude because we're not showing trust or atruism or whatever you want to call it but if you're going in an elevator and you expect us to hold it open that's not really our job because you're older and you should do it yourself.

Plus, I have twenty minute conversations too, but not so many frequently, are you claiming that americans are incapable of having intelligent discussions? Most Americans I meet are good with computers, they play videogames, they are able to talk for long periods of times, they arent stupid, now the american government here is stupid. But we arent.

I dont really know what you're talking about when you say that we're stupid, because it's not us doing the wrong things in the world, it's the rest of the world and if you cant see that, you fail

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeTTaLic_PhaNToM
so whats going on between america and iraq now?? what else are they after??

The oil and rebuilding of the Country. The USA is the first nation to rebuild those who they fight, all others just leave and have no after battle plan.
Considering once one has defeated an opponent, that foreign nation technically is owned by the winning force. So, instead of leaving those people with nothing, we rebuild their homes and such.

Giveing the land back to them, but under our conditions, and through a stransition, allow them to maintain rule over their country, instead of force feeding them our way of life. They have a choice, and one much better than what "So damn insane" gave them.

What the morons are calling a US occupation, is really us teaching the Iraqi forces and figure heads how not to be taken over by future Saddams, but too many people refuse to have an open mind, and are thus closed to anything out side of the box.

Take this for example, the US has already given the Iraqi children schools with materials, to actually learn from. Saddam Iraq, would kill the teachers, and torture the families of. Our US forces have taught medical skills to the Iraqi troops, including first aid, and combat life savers techniques for when in the field. Along with how to correctly pack medical supplies for airdrop. No one else has done that for them, let along were going to.

What other nation/s have conducted business with Iraq, for any reason other than for their oil? Sure the US is interested in their oil, but at least we are giving them more, than they are us.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The door swings both ways, my friends. And it applies right down to the level of the common man.

I remember having a discussion here on ATS about Canada's lax immigration policies, and how it affects the US. I was told by Canadian ATS'ers that 'Hey, it's not our problem, it's your problem.'

So remember that things aren't all one way in this world.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I think alot of Americans feel that way about Canadians. Alot of people feel it's just a useless liberal country to the north, trying to suck off the American way.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Indeed, there are a lot of places in the United States in which the people are very unpleasant to deal with. On the other hand though, there are places that people wil go out of their way to help you out.

I for one am a proud American and I pride myself on being polite to everyone I meet. Sure, there are people here who deserved to get beaten but I still maintain my composure no matter what. If you were to come up to me and ask how my day was going I would certainly not treat you as you say you have been.

The problem I see is that you are visiting the wrong places my friend. I assure you that we are not all impatient, arrogant fools.

By the way...where have you visited in the States?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join