It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TODAYS ISSUE: The Death Penalty

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I was really interested to start debate on this topic. How many people here at ATS agree with the death sentance. Do you think that it is a just punishment for a criminal. I do not agree. I think that any country that has the death penalty is accepting the failure of it's system. If you are killing somebody you are not changing what has happened you are merely putting another dead person to the list. I dont think anywhere in Eurpoe still has the death penalty ( correct me if I'm wrong) and I think it's time that it was stopped.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   
i think every crime should result in the death penalty then criminals would think before breaking the law, i think more criminals commit crimes so they don't have to work like all the fools out there, but if they had the chance of dying every time they commited a crime i'm sure the crime rate would spiral downwards, thats what happened in Vlad Dracul's Walachia. Supposedly he had a jewel encrusted chalice sitting is his capitols town square for years and noone took it

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
But not in the way it's done today.
A massive rewrite of the system, yes.

Other than that, what's wrong with banishing them to a New Australia? If you warrant life there, it's not at a cost to society. If you can't catch it, grow it or defend it you're dead. If you can, you live the life you've chosen by your heinous actions - to be apart from society and true to your barbaric self.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
agree what you earthtone Death penalty or not people will be breaking law. but i do think they need to make the criminals work lot more no TV,book,sport,no MCD's, just all work work work work work and more work then maybe there will think before breaking the low

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 09:38 AM
link   
i think every crime should result in the death penalty then criminals would think before breaking the law,

wtf....im putting this guy on the ignore list..moron

[Edited on 11-19-2003 by sirCyco]

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I agree. exile to showhere barbaric is a nice idea. Criminals have it too soft, especially here in Canada. House arrest for pedophiles? Bah!

DE

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'm Pro death penalty if the crime warrants it.

If you Kill someone and are found guilty, then yes you should be sentanced to death.

If you hurt a child "molestation" ect... I feel you should be sentanced to death.

However, these are about the only two crimes I feel should fall under "death sentance".

Another thing that bothers me is the amount of time that criminals are allowed to "sit" on death row. I can't imagine the amount of money spent keeping these people for years, feeding and clothing them, paying for thier medical needs.
Not to mention the amount of prison space that it takes up... overcrowding, there's a way to fix that.

I know this sounds harsh... but seriously think about what these people have done and the pain and suffering that they have caused.

Someone once said to me, what if it was your brother who was on death row, how would you feel then ?

I answered, if he did the crime, it would be very sad. Sad that my parents, my family and myself was not able to help him and somehow someway prevent him from being in a situation to committ a crime. Would I be sad, yes, would I want him to die, of course not. I would pray that god have mercy on his soul and that he could be forgiven for what he had done.

This is a very "touchy" subject. Always a tough one to debate.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirCyco
i think every crime should result in the death penalty then criminals would think before breaking the law,

wtf....im putting this guy on the ignore list..moron

[Edited on 11-19-2003 by sirCyco]

I agree he does sound like a moron!

Back to the subject.......

I believe that the punishment should fit the crime.

Enough of this cruel and unusual punishment crybaby #.

If you kill someone and it's not in self defense, or an accident then you die!

You molest/rape ANYONE, you die!

You steal, you forefit all your belongings to whom you stole from,
NOT THE GOVT.

Drug use should not be a criminal offense!

Something along that line.

Problem is, our legal system is so screwed up.

You would have to be %100 sure they were guilty.

Plenty of innocent people being dragged through the courts for bull# reasons.

Anyone making false accusations that would result in the D.P.,
should suffer the same fate they had instore for the innocent party.

I believe there needs to be a death penality,
it just needs to be used wisely.

It removes some of the crap from amongst us.

Hard Labor for all the other crimes that are serious, but can't be punished in a likwise manner.

Sense deprivation seems like a good one!

Small, dark, soundproof room.

Can't see, Can't hear, Can't feel,....

Thats scary!

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Wow, this topic again. I have bad memories about it. I'll let you people babble about it for a while before setting some heads straight.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yes, I am in favor of capital punishment if the crime warrants it. Murder,rape, pedophilia.

I would also let the families of the victims have a large say in the punishment of the criminal.

Just a thought: And maybe sentencing those criminals to 5 times the crime that they committed. Stabbed someone to death? Get it back fivefold. Raped and murdered someone? OOOH,that punishment would HURT!

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by banjoechef

If this was the way it was, we'd all be getting the death penalty. Who among us has not broken the law? That goes for speeding, littering, driving while impaired....

I support the death penalty in some cases. Some truly deserve it. However, in some cases, some deserve to rot their lives away in prison. That would be a worse fate.

I also believe that EVERY single candidate for the death penalty should have complete access to DNA testing. In far too many cases, this is not the case. With DNA testing many people have been proven innocent.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I also believe that EVERY single candidate for the death penalty should have complete access to DNA testing. In far too many cases, this is not the case. With DNA testing many people have been proven innocent

Good Point! (forgot about that)

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I'm Pro death penalty if the crime warrants it.

If you Kill someone and are found guilty, then yes you should be sentanced to death.

This is a very "touchy" subject. Always a tough one to debate.

But what good has this done the world? Now this person is dead too and nothing was solved. "An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind" and all that stuff man. How can we ever correct human error if we kill others as punishment? It's an acceptance of failure if somebody has to be killed. I mean how does murdering somebody solve anything? What has been learned when somebody is put to death? Nothing. I do accept that people will reoffend and may never learn their lesson however there should be places for these people who cannot help themselves. Is it anyones right to chose who lives and dies? And what about when the system is wrong? Inncoent people die

You're right elevatedone, this is a touchy subject but a very important one too.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Kill them all.
I am all for the death penalty.
you flip the switch and watch them twitch. believe me, that would be revenge.

# them.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I agree with God's wisdom in establishing the death penalty (from the Old Testament). His reason was that it would scare others from killing. Better to kill 10 men than 1,000.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
So you guys all agree that killing people sit he way to solve the worlds problems. Murder solved by murder? Very wize, lets just kill kill kill and everything will get better.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
You know people don't steal for the hell of it, they steal because they need to. People steal in order to survive. You dont kill a beggar for stealing a loaf of bread, come on people.

The death penalty. Statistic-(from my history teacher) 12-14% of the people on death row are innocent.
You would put somebody to death who was innocent? Would you really support that system?

i think every crime should result in the death penalty then criminals would think before breaking the law, i think more criminals commit crimes so they don't have to work like all the fools out there, but if they had the chance of dying every time they commited a crime i'm sure the crime rate would spiral downwards, thats what happened in Vlad Dracul's Walachia. Supposedly he had a jewel encrusted chalice sitting is his capitols town square for years and noone took it

I sure hope you don't become in ANY kind of political office. Go over the speed limit, bam! electric chair! Most people in the US have commited some kind of a crime or other, most likely even you. Does that mean that they should be killed? Most tyrannical rulers think so.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The death penalty was not built for revenge. It was built as punishment. Ever read The Crucible? Want that to happen?

The death penalty is wrong. If somebody can go so off course and do something so horrible that they deserve to die, can't they be rehabilitated? Ok, God said the death penalty is ok? what about the part for being kind to man? Treat others as they would treat you ( dont remember exactly how it goes). Seriosly, put them through intensive radical rehab. There are alot of other options besides death people. think.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
For those of you who disagree with the Death Penalty....

So If I go out and kill someone just because I hated that person more that anything and a few more for the hell of it. You are saying that the worst I could get is life in prison?

If thats the case then I know a few more people who will be murder's

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   
If someone can't be fixed then why waste time on them.

If someone murdered your loved ones you wouldn't want them to fry?

I bet your tune would change real fast.

So should Hitler have been rehabilated?

What about Bundy? Or any mass-murderer?

Are you going to flip the $$$ to rehab someone?

Not me!

Remove them from Society for good, why waste time and money watching them and keeping them locked up?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join