It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No commercial fishing for one year! How about it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The commercial fishing trawlers are scooping up everything, destoying the vegetation and leaving nothing behind. The nets are so small nothing escapes. We need to lobby the world's gov't to warn the commercial fishing industry that in such & such a time the fishing industry must cease all fishing activity for one year. Let the vegetation & fish stocks reappear, make it unlawfull to fish in any waters, national & international. Have the fishermen recieve some gov't form of subsidy / unemployment during the duration and give the Fishing industry some sort of 3-5 year tax break to off set the loss of income. Give the world's Navy s permission to sink any vessels caught breaking the law.
This needs to be done people. And it needs to be done once every seven years.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
For too long, the major fish populations have been overfished. Some have crashed already some are currently undergoing a crash.

It's in the best interests of commercial fisherman throughout the world to let the fish populations regain their numbers. In order to do this we would need to severly curtail fishing for a number of years.

It's a good idea but I don't think that it's going to happen.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Great. That would leave more salmon for me to catch!

Recreational anglers like me would love it.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
That might actualy work. I like the idea but there would be no way to implement it unless you subsidize the fisheries for the entire years worth of income that they lost. So the governments have to give out boatloads of money (sorry had to do it) but the environment reaps the rewards.

Course you would also have to make sure that the companies that receive the subsidies continue to pay the employees their wages for the year. (and we all know how much employers love paying people for not working)

Awesome idea for the environment. Too bad there is no one in Washington or anywhere else that would go for it.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Sorry, but this idea is totally unrealistic. It can't be done. You can't just stop an entire industry like that for a whole year. Keep in mind that the fishermen are not the only ones in this industry. Are people going to stop eating fish for a year as well?

But I agree that overfishing is a problem. Too much fish are also wasted and never makes it to the dinner table.

top topics

join