It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wolfowitz Turns World Bank Into Neocon Outpost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
In the eighteen months since George Bush installed Paul Wolfowitz as head of the World Bank, over half the Bank's senior managers have "resigned" - effectively driven out of their jobs - and been replaced with neocon ideologues connected within the Republican party but inexperienced in development work. Wolfowitz's actions have strong implications not only for the way the World bank operates, but for the future of US policy in Iraq, as we shall see. Devesh Kapur, quoted below, is Wolfowitz's predecessor.

www.bloomberg.com
``The changes under Wolfowitz are unprecedented in the calculated manner in which inexperienced or ideological replacements are being placed in senior positions,'' said Kapur, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

Among those who left the bank after disagreements with Wolfowitz are Roberto Danino, general counsel and a former prime minister of Peru; Ian Goldin, vice president for external affairs; and Gobind Nankani, vice president for Africa. Of the 14 executives who left, three had reached mandatory retirement age, according to the staff association.

Poortman, the Mideast chief, resigned rather than accept an assignment in Kazakhstan, according to a colleague who spoke on condition of anonymity. Poortman declined to comment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Despite his statement that the safety of World Bank officials in Baghdad is "at the top of his list of priorities", Wolfowitz is stepping up WB involvement in Iraq, using the Bank, effectively, to tighten US control over the country. Those who have heard of John Perkins' Confessions of an Economic Hitman will already be aware of how the World Bank is used to get poor countries into debt; the signs are now that Iraq will be utterly in hock to the "international community" via the World Bank, in which the US treasury has the controlling interest.

The link I have provided is to a video presentation by John Perkins, ex-economic hitman. He talks of his role and his first hand experience of how institutions like the World Bank used him to control the smaller, poorer countries of the world. It makes fascinating, if disturbing, viewing, and gives one an idea of what is surely in store for Iraq.

Overall, I think we can get a sense of what the neocons have planned for Iraq, and a sense that withdrawal of US troops is extremely unlikely - they are required for the asset-stripping that is only just beginning.

Related News Links:
www.informationclearinghouse.info

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I am no fan of the world bank...its policies harm developing countries more than they help but I am less a fan of ideologues of any ilk, muchless neo-cons...lets see what a mess they will make there...at least they can't invade another country from a bank...or can they?

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
...at least they can't invade another country from a bank...or can they?

Sure, why not? A lot of countries are controlled by their central banks, no? If not, remember the Golden Rule -- he with the gold makes the rules.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Sure, why not? A lot of countries are controlled by their central banks, no? If not, remember the Golden Rule -- he with the gold makes the rules.

years ago I wrote a short story that had that Disney wanted to open a theme park in Kenya but for whatever reason the leadership refused so Disney invaded....I had armed paratroopers dropping into Niarobi and on their helmuts were mouse ears.

Never did finish the story but loved the image.

Point is as nationalism fades into history in the face of globalism the corporations etc will take on many of the functions once the domain of governments, including war. After all look at Iraq.....WMD and disposing of Saddam was just the excuse....corporate pillaging of the countries resources was the reason.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Thank you Rich, for your hitman Perkins story.

Just found this...

Wolfowitz Owes Us An Explanation
By Sonni Efron
The Los Angeles Times

Sunday 24 December 2006

Accountability is one of those ideals, like justice or the triumph of right over might, that are wonderful in principle but usually disappointing in practice.

This is nowhere more true than in Washington, where one of the most powerful men in President Bush's inner circle, a man who helped conceive, plan and execute the Iraq war, has managed to escape scrutiny for steering his country into one of the greatest strategic catastrophes of his generation.

What's Wolfo up to... what do he do and say these days? Well, not much, not even an interview. The subject declined this article tries to judge his standing.

What is particularly disturbing is that Wolfowitz is visibly delighting in his role as one of the world's highest-profile (publicly funded) philanthropists - while saying barely a word about the catastrophe in Iraq. In the few comments he has been badgered into making about the war since he left the Pentagon, he has defended the conduct of the U.S. and expressed the belief that Iraqis will struggle their way to freedom.

Hitmen have been sent in support of the agenda. Now Paul is on another level above politics, he can't comment on the pity strife of ordinary policies.

Fact, he thinks...

"I'm not a U.S. official any more and unfortunately not a private citizen either. I work for 184 countries that expect me to do the job at the World Bank. I would like nothing better than to be able to get involved in this debate [over Iraq]. I would particularly like to be able to clear the record of some of the garbage about myself personally, but if I start doing that, the people I work for would say, 'You are not doing your job, you are getting mixed up in something that is a distraction from the message that we would like you to deliver."

Wolfo don't think he ever said or did anything wrong.

Of course, plenty of other smart people also got Iraq wrong, so why single out Wolfowitz? Because from Bush on down, the politicians are being held accountable. Iraq has destroyed the Bush legacy. Generals have seen their military wounded. The war has tarnished Colin Powell's once-shining reputation, destroyed Rumsfeld's and killed any shot Condoleezza Rice might have had at the White House. But Wolfowitz has failed up, into one of the world's most prestigious jobs.

"I'll have a chance sometime to talk about Iraq," Wolfowitz said in his e-mail last week. "But it's a distraction and a harmful distraction from what I'm trying to accomplish for Africa and the developing world."

Still, as a man whose reputation for intellectual honesty helped land him the World Bank job, the cerebral Wolfowitz owes the American people not only an explanation but also his best forensic analysis of mistakes made and how not to repeat them. Does he believe democracy can be promoted in any real sense when the Middle East is on fire? Under his stewardship, the World Bank is stepping up lending in Iraq, so these questions are not entirely academic.

No, they are pretty substantial and essential.

The Neocon Takeover postponed.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Hear is a link to a thred that has a video linked on it. It talks about the rise of the neocon. It is interesting to note that in some cases it was done with lies and deception. It does talk about Wolfowitz.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Economic takeover is what it's all about.

Military action is just a means to that end. So is patriotism and religion, for that matter.

PS. Good find rich.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Economic takeover is what it's all about.

Military action is just a means to that end. So is patriotism and religion, for that matter.

And take over they do in a big or the leader of the country winds up very dead. The link listed above describes how some of that came to be although be it still don't really know for sure whos calling the final shots.

new topics

top topics

join